[MyAppleMenu] Feb 26, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 26 18:59:00 EST 2013

**** Gestures: Hard To Use, Harder To Find ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2029146/gestures-hard-to-use-harder-to-find.html>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> Developers need to stop trying to invent new “cute” gestures.

**** Apple’s Selling More Macs Because It Finally Has More Macs To Sell ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20130226/apples-selling-more-macs-because-it-finally-has-more-macs-to-sell/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> Though supplies of its new iMac remain somewhat constrained, Apple appears to be making some headway in bringing supply of the machine into rough parity with demand. To wit, new data from NPD that shows Mac sales up significantly this year.

It's a shame that Apple always seems to be unable to make enough computers to sell.

**** Keith McMillen QuNeo ****
<http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/02/quneo/>
Keith McMillen, Wired

> If strumming old folk songs on the acoustic guitar is starting to feel a bit (ahem) played out, maybe it’s time to explore the wild world of electro-wankery.

**** Josh Topolsky On Google Glass ****
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2013/02/26/topolsky-glass>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> And the idea that people will wear things like this everywhere (as opposed to special specific scenarios, like workers in an environment where their hands are otherwise occupied, like, say, surgeons) strikes me as creepy as hell.

Remember the recent Russia meteor event, where we see lots of videos of car-cams because all cars have camera so that the drivers can't get cheated or sued? Pretty soon, all humans will have camera.
No, I'm not proud of the human race.

**** Review: The iMac Gets Thinner And Faster ****
<http://www.inc.com/john-brandon/review-apple-imac-the-computer-that-speeds-up.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+inc%2Fheadlines+%28Inc.com+Headlines%29>
John Brandon, Inc.com

> I'm agnostic about Mac versus Windows--both have their advantages. But the iMac's ability to keep running as though it's fresh out of the box, plus the crisp screen, thin design, and speedy processor make this all-in-one a good business buy.

**** Master TextExpander With These Helpful Tips & Tricks ****
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/app-training/master-textexpander-with-these-helpful-tips-tricks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Mactuts%2B%29>
Josh Johnson, Mactuts+

**** Apple Settles Lawsuit Over Apps Aimed At Kids — Will Pay $5 iTunes Credit Or Cash ****
<http://gigaom.com/2013/02/25/apple-settles-lawsuit-over-apps-aimed-at-kids-will-pay-5-itunes-credit-or-cash/>
Jeff John Roberts, GigaOM

**** Everyone Should Experience The Joy Of Coding ****
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-pavley/coding_b_2760727.html>
John Pavley, The Huffington Post

**** coconutBattery Keeps An Eye On Your MacBook Battery’s Health ****
<http://lifehacker.com/5986698/coconutbattery-keeps-an-eye-on-your-macbook-batterys-health>
Whitson Gordon, Lifehacker

**** Taming The Mail Beast In Mac OS X Mountain Lion ****
<http://www.biztechmagazine.com/article/2013/02/taming-mail-beast-mac-os-x-mountain-lion>
Jimmy Obomsawin, BizTechMagazine

> While Mail is a great little program, it’s full of hidden features. Here are some of my favorite tips to get the most from Mail.

**** Best App To Track Bills And Expenses From Your iPhone ****
<http://www.imore.com/best-app-track-bills-and-expenses-your-iphone>
Allyson Kazmucha, IMore

> From linking bank accounts and credit cards to inputting bills and expenses, Pageonce is easy to use and understand. If you've got investments, it can also help you keep track of those as well.

**** When HandBrake Won't Rip Your DVDs ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2029204/when-handbrake-wont-rip-your-dvds.html>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Apple In India: A Lost Opportunity? ****
<http://gigaom.com/2013/02/25/apple-in-india-a-lost-opportunity/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Om Malik, GigaOM

**** Researchers Find Yet Another Way To Get Around iOS 6.1 Passcode ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/researchers-find-yet-another-way-to-get-around-ios-6-1-passcode/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Could Humans Go Extinct? ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/animal_forecast/2013/02/human_extinction_could_a_mass_extinction_kill_homo_sapiens.html>
Fred Guterl, Slate

> Mass extinctions have happened five or six times (depending on how you count). It’s a kind of wiping the slate clean and starting anew. The death of the dinosaurs and the rise of mammals came from such an event 66 million years ago, when a meteorite fell in what is now the Yucatan. Many scientists believe that there may now be a new mass extinction event under way, caused by <i>Homo sapiens</i>.

**** Explain It To Me Again, Computer ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/02/will_computers_eventually_make_scientific_discoveries_we_can_t_comprehend.html>
Samuel Arbesman, Slate

> What if technology makes scientific discoveries that we can’t understand?

**** We Aren’t The World ****
<http://www.psmag.com/magazines/pacific-standard-cover-story/joe-henrich-weird-ultimatum-game-shaking-up-psychology-economics-53135/>
Ethan Watters, Pacific Standard