[MyAppleMenu] Feb 23, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Feb 23 18:59:00 EST 2013

**** Mac Malware: New Gatekeeper Bypassing Mac OS X Virus Discovered ****
<http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=18A2F254-C78B-F2E4-2CA06B79689422E0>
Ashleigh Allsopp, Macworld UK

**** Put Street View Back To Apple's iOS Maps With This New App ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/02/put-street-view-back-to-apples-ios-maps-with-this-new-app>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

**** What Can I Actually Upgrade On My Mac? ****
<http://lifehacker.com/5986206/what-can-i-actually-upgrade-on-my-mac>
Thorin Klosowski, Lifehacker

**** How To Quickly Convert Image Formats With Preview ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57570800-263/how-to-quickly-convert-image-formats-with-preview/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Preview supports reading most common image format types, and likewise allows you to export them to these same types, so even if Preview is not set to be your default program for handling images, you can still use it to quickly make an image conversion.

**** Apple Pulls Controversial Proxy Proposal After Court Ruling ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20130222/apple-pulls-controversial-proxy-proposal-after-court-ruling/>
Arik Hesseldahl, All Things D

**** Google Maps API Keys Now Open All iOS Developers ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/google-maps-api-keys-now-open-all-ios-developers/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> This means developers who don't want to use Apple's mapping API can use Google's without having to apply and wait for approval.

**** I Used Google Glass: The Future, With Monthly Updates ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/4013406/i-used-google-glass-its-the-future-with-monthly-updates>
Joshua Topolsky, The Verge

> Let me start by saying that using it is actually nearly identical to what the company showed off in its newest demo video. That’s not CGI — it’s what Glass is actually like to use. It’s clean, elegant, and makes relative sense. The screen is not disruptive, you do not feel burdened by it. It is there and then it is gone. It’s not shocking. It’s not jarring. It’s just this new thing in your field of vision. And it’s actually pretty cool.

**** LiveCode: Funding Open Source Via Kickstarter ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13582?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** Talking Publishing With Marco ****
<http://brooksreview.net/2013/02/marco-interview/>
Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review

> Magazines are a fluke on iOS: they have different price expectations. Big-name iOS magazines can easily charge $5 per month. The New York Times charges about $15 per month. So for The Magazine to be $2 per month sounds extremely inexpensive in the magazine world, yet that’s $24 per year — far more than I could earn per customer with a traditional app.

**** The 7-Step Edit In Aperture 3.4 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2027127/the-7-step-edit-in-aperture-3-4.html>
Derrick Story, Macworld

> I’m going to walk you through seven basic adjustments in Aperture 3.4 that will clean up 90 percent of your images: Crop, White Balance, Exposure, Enhance, Highlights & Shadows, Color, and Edge Sharpen.

**** iOS Device Syncing In iTunes 11, Audiobook Lengths, And Listening In Mono ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2028755/ios-device-syncing-in-itunes-11-audiobook-lengths-and-listening-in-mono.html>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** Mailbox For iPhone Eases Email Triage But Lacks Key Features ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13572?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

**** Exploring The Mac's Sharing Features ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2028901/exploring-the-macs-sharing-features.html>

**** The Joys Of Yiddish Dictionaries ****
<http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2013/02/22/the-joys-of-yiddish/>
Ezra Glinter, The Paris Review

> A dictionary is meant to be a reflection of a language (or a prescription for it, depending on your view), but the <i>Comprehensive Yiddish-English Dictionary</i> reflects an entire culture.

**** In The Beautiful, Threatened North ****
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/mar/07/beautiful-threatened-north/>
Ian Frazier, The New York Review Of Books

> The Arctic takes you back to old-time basics, like Vulcan’s anvil and the foundation blocks of the world. In Chukotka, across the Bering Strait from Alaska, I climbed a hill and met a view of rock, sea, and sky that was, for all practical purposes, eternal. For the first time ever I had a sense of what it was to stand on a planet. That the Arctic environment is so basic and its timeline so long suggests the direness of the possibilities as the climate warms. The mess we’re making of the earth may last, as Bill McKibben put it in a recent essay, until “deep in geological time.”

**** Pad Thai ****
<http://www.themorningnews.org/post/pad-thai>
Pitchaya Sudbanthad, The Morning News

> Pad Thai is the most misunderstood noodle. Its best incarnations are difficult to find outside of Thailand, even as the basic ingredients are now readily available abroad.

**** Working Girl ****
<http://www.poetryfoundation.org/article/245450>
Kate Bolick, Poetry Foundation

> It isn’t easy to even think about Edna St. Vincent Millay’s body of work without also thinking about her—well—actual body.

**** Cities Without Ground: A Guidebook To Hong Kong's Elevated Walkways ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/architecture-design-blog/2013/feb/22/cities-without-ground-hong-kong-walkways?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Oliver Wainwright, The Guardian

> The work of Adam Frampton, Jonathan D Solomon and Clara Wong, the book takes a systematic look at the layered topography of the city, drawing over 30 key areas in exploded axonometric diagrams to reveal the interweaving networks of pedestrian infrastructure.

**** Saturday Poem: A Childhood ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/feb/22/childhood-robin-robertson?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Robin Robertson, The Guardian