[MyAppleMenu] Feb 15, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 15 18:59:00 EST 2013

**** Jonathan Ive Gets Gold Blue Peter Badge ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21470637?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
BBC

**** Does Apple Really Assign Engineers To “Fake” Projects As A Loyalty Test? ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/does-apple-really-assign-engineers-to-fake-projects-as-a-loyalty-test/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> In my years of reporting on Apple and speaking to many of its employees, I had never heard of such a practice. When I sought answers by interviewing current and former Apple engineers, I found that "fake" projects are certainly not a regular occurrence at Apple—and they quite probably do not exist at all.

**** Mac Gems: Email Pro For Gmail Brings Email Seamlessly To Your Desktop ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2027905/mac-gems-email-pro-for-gmail-brings-email-seamlessly-to-your-desktop.html>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

> Thanks to its solid interface and useful display-as-desktop feature, Email Pro is worth a look if you’re a Gmail user.

**** Why You Should Never Have More Than Nine Browser Tabs Open ****
<http://lifehacker.com/5984149/why-you-should-never-have-more-than-nine-browser-tabs-open>
Angus Kidman, Lifehacker

**** Adobe Releases Source Code For 1990 Version Of Photoshop ****
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57569533-93/adobe-releases-source-code-for-1990-version-of-photoshop/>
Steven Musil, CNET

> Via a special arrangement with Adobe Systems, the Computer History Museum announced in a blog post today that it has made available for download the entire 128,000 lines of source code for the first version of Photoshop.

**** Apple Begins Selling Shorter Lightning Cables, In-Ear Headphones Get Updated Mic ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/02/14/apple-begins-selling-shorter-lightning-cables-ear-headphones-get-updated-mic/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Toby Wellington, Macgasm

**** How To Put Your iPhone Or iPad’s Live Screen Directly Onto Your Mac’s Screen ****
<http://bohemianboomer.com/2013/02/how-to-put-your-iphone-or-ipads-live-screen-directly-onto-your-macs-screen/>
Jeff Mincey, Bohemian Boomer

> AirServer is the Mac app that takes AirPlay back to the Mac. Install AirServer and use AirPlay to take whatever is showing on your iPhone and iPad direct to the Mac’s screen.

**** How To Create Your Own Animated GIFs The Easy Way ****
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2027937/how-to-create-your-own-animated-gifs-the-easy-way.html>
Chris McVeigh, TechHive

**** The Beginner’s Guide To Using TeX In OS X ****
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/productivity/the-beginners-guide-to-using-tex-in-os-x/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Mactuts%2B%29>
James Cull, Mactuts+

**** GIMP 2.8.3 Review ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac-creative/reviews/?reviewid=3426117&olo=rss>
Mark Hattersley, Macworld UK

> The good news is that since GIMP 2.8.2, it no longer needs the X11 environment and now runs as a native Mac OS X app. Installation is as simple as downloading a build, and double clicking. And without X11 in the way it now has a typical Menu bar structure, so it's much more instantly familiar to regular comptuer users.

**** How Lightning Tightens Apple’s Control Over Accessories ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/lightning-apple/>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> The chip inside the Lightning connector can be reverse engineered — copied by another company — but it probably would not work as well as one that came from Apple, Mr. Howe said. Apple could also theoretically issue software updates that would disable Lightning products that did not use its chips, he said.

**** Linden Lab Releases Versu, An Interactive Fiction System For iPad ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/14/linden-lab-releases-versu-an-interactive-fiction-system-for-ipa/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

**** Kickstarter Launches iPhone App ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/14/kickstarter-launches-iphone-app/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** Apple Working On Fix For iOS 6.1 Passcode Hack ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20130214/new-iphone-vulnerability-lets-anyone-bypass-passcode/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> “Apple takes user security very seriously” spokeswoman Trudy Muller told AllThingsD. “We are aware of this issue, and will deliver a fix in a future software update.”

**** Wunderlist 2 Lands On The iPad As A Universal App ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/14/wunderlist-2-lands-on-the-ipad-as-a-universal-app/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> Wunderlist launched version 2 of its popular iPhone and Mac task manager late last year and has stepped up to the plate again to launch a fresh, new version that adds support for the iPad.

**** His Saving Grace ****
<http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/grace/>
Kevin Pang, Chicago Tribune

> This is a story of the small-town kid who proved himself in the big city. Of connections forged and lost on the path to becoming the best — no matter the cost. Of closing your eyes and hoping your problems disappear.

> It’s a story of a chef, and what cooking gave him and what it took away.

**** Stalker ****
<http://www.thenation.com/article/172881/stalker?page=full>
Caleb Crain, The Nation

> The news in James Lasdun’s memoir <i>Give Me Everything You Have</i> is that there is a new kind of bad thing in the world: persecution on the Internet by a clever, mentally unbalanced person. If you haven’t experienced it yet, you may have trouble believing how upsetting and disorienting it can be. And you may be tempted to wonder if a sufferer like Lasdun hasn’t somehow asked for it.

**** The Claustrophobia Of Micro-Apartment Living ****
<http://www.theatlanticcities.com/housing/2013/02/claustrophia-micro-apartment-living/4663/>
Betsy Morais, The Atlantic Cities