[MyAppleMenu] Feb 13, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 13 18:59:00 EST 2013

**** Apple Updates MacBook Pro, MacBook Air ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/02/13/apple-updates-macbook-pro-macbook-air/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

**** Mac Gems: Shush Gives You A Systemwide Mic Mute ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2027822/mac-gems-shush-gives-you-a-systemwide-mic-mute.html>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> When Shush is running, I can mute and unmute my mic using a systemwide hotkey—no matter which app or service I’m using, the mute action is the same.

**** Mac Troubleshooting: How To Handle Freezes And Crashes ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2027920/mac-troubleshooting-how-to-handle-freezes-and-crashes.html>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

> Your first step should be to determine the scope of a problem. Is just one application having difficulties, or is the whole system affected?

**** Review: LibreOffice 4 Leaves You Wanting More ****
<http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/review-libreoffice-4-leaves-you-wanting-more-212742?source=footer>
Serdar Yegulalp, InfoWorld

**** Why Some Apps Belong In The Menu Bar, Not The Dock ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2027867/why-some-apps-belong-in-the-menu-bar-not-the-dock.html>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

> Unlike my Dock, the menu bar is always visible, and always in the same location. This makes it a perfect spot to keep apps that display information or that I want quick access to but don't need to interact with regularly.

I say, bring back the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_Strip">control strip</a>!

:-)

**** It Is Cheaper To Fly To US Than Buy Adobe Software In Australia ****
<http://www.news.com.au/technology/biztech/it-is-cheaper-to-fly-to-us-than-buy-adobe-software-in-australia/story-fn5lic6c-1226576920561>
News.com.au

> You could fly to the US, purchase the software in LA and fly home and it would still cost less than purchasing it outright in Australia.

**** How The Heck Do I Use GitHub? ****
<http://lifehacker.com/5983680/how-the-heck-do-i-use-github>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

**** Tip: Use OS X Services To Reveal Or Open File Paths ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57568990-263/tip-use-os-x-services-to-reveal-or-open-file-paths/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Power Users Vs. Empowered Users ****
<http://www.imore.com/power-users-vs-empowered-users>
Rene Ritchie, IMore

> So yes, in many ways, in painful ways, in sad ways, Apple is ignoring if not flat out abandoning power users, but they're doing it in a way that will eventually result in far broader, deeper base of users becoming empowered. That will let more people do more stuff.

**** How To Use VPN On Your Mac ****
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/os-x/how-to-use-vpn-on-your-mac/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Mactuts%2B%29>
Jordan Merrick, Mactuts+

**** Review: Napkin A Novel Image Annotation Program With An Attitude ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2027398/review-napkin-a-novel-image-annotation-program-with-an-attitude.html>
Tom Negrino, Macworld

> Napkin gets the job done using a remarkably sparse feature set, with a hefty dollop of innovative ideas, and with an almost fanatic attention to your workflow.

**** HBO Go 2.0 Finally Allows AirPlay Streaming To Apple TV ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2027915/hbo-go-2-0-finally-allows-airplay-streaming-to-apple-tv.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> The HBO Go app for iPhone and iPad scored a long-overdue update on Tuesday. As HBO’s co-president Eric Kessler promised at the Dive Into D conference, the app—along with Cinemax’s Max Go app—can now stream video wirelessly to the Apple TV.

**** This Is Tim: Cook At The 2013 Goldman Sachs Conference ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2027900/this-is-tim-cook-at-the-2013-goldman-sachs-conference.html>
Macworld

Also:
• <a href="http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236720/Apple_CEO_shoots_down_idea_of_cheap_new_iPhone?utm_campaign=Feed:%20computerworld/news/feed%20(Latest%20from%20Computerworld)&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner&source=rss_latest_content">Apple CEO shoots down idea of cheap new iPhone</a> (Agam Shah, IDG News Service): Lowering the price on older models is just one of the approaches Apple is taking to reach out to price-sensitive buyers. It's not easy to balance quality and price, and that's when innovation comes into play and new products could be created to meet consumer demand, Cook said.
• <a href="http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/12/ceo-tim-cook-confirms-first-store-in-turkey-amidst-big-international-retail-push/">CEO Tim Cook Confirms First Store In Turkey Amidst Big International Retail Push</a> (Ingrid Lunden, TechCrunch): Cook noted that Apple will add 30 stores, “disproportionately outside the U.S.” In addition to adding “lots more” stores in China, he also confirmed that Apple will open its first store in Turkey this year.
• <a href="http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/12/apple-closing-20-retail-stores-in-order-expand/">Apple Closing 20 Retail Stores In Order To Expand Them, Accomodate More Customers</a> (Sarah Perez, TechCrunch)
• <a href="http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/02/12/did-tim-cook-just-signal-a-business-shift-for-apple/">Did Tim Cook just signal a business shift for Apple?</a> (Dan Gallagher, MarketWatch): “Being larger than a hardware company affords us the ability to not worry about so much in the short term,” he said, adding, “We’re managing Apple for the long term.”

**** Apple Releases MacBook Pro Firmware Update To Fix Battery Issues ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/12/apple-releases-macbook-pro-firmware-update-to-fix-battery-issues/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

**** Microsoft Suggests Throttling Or Blocking iOS 6.1 Devices After Bug Slows Down Exchange Servers ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/12/3981682/microsoft-investigating-ios-6-1-exchange-sync-problems>
Adi Robertson, The Verge

> Apple's iOS 6.1 update introduced some improvements to Siri and LTE compatibility, but for many users, it also cut their phones off from 3G networks or Microsoft's Exchange. The former issue has hopefully been addressed with a bug fix, but the latter apparently remains unsolved — and Microsoft is now telling Exchange administrators they may need to block or throttle iOS 6.1 users to keep their servers running well.

**** Apple ID Security: Should I Be Worried? ****
<http://www.betalogue.com/2013/02/12/apple-id-security/>
Pierre Igot, Betalogue

> It really does not help one feel that Apple is taking security issues seriously when (1) the procedure to submit queries/concerns about Apple ID security issues is far from obvious and (2) the reply you get does not address the main concerns you have about a particular issue.

**** How To Reorder Lists In Reminders On iPhone And iPad ****
<http://www.imore.com/how-reorder-lists-reminders-iphone-and-ipad>
Allyson Kazmucha, IMore

**** On Amity Gaige’s Novel <i>Schroder</i> ****
<http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/kathryn-schulz-on-schroder-by-amity-gaige.html>
Kathryn Schulz, Vulture

> We need a name for them, that subset of literary protagonists who are appealing despite being appalling. I do not mean the mere anti-hero.

**** A Man, A Plan, A Sandwich Named Just For Him ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/a-man-a-plan-a-sandwich-named-just-for-him/2013/02/11/bc408712-6be7-11e2-bd36-c0fe61a205f6_story.html>
Bart Barnes, Washington Post