[MyAppleMenu] Feb 1, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 1 18:59:00 EST 2013

**** Once Again, Path Steals Your Data Without Permission. ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://eeqj.com/20130201/path-privacy/>
EEQJ

> Path’s iOS app will use the embedded EXIF tag location information from photos in the iOS Camera Roll to geotag your posts, even when you’ve explicitly disabled Location Services for the Path application.

**** This Gadget Can Charge A MacBook And iPad Anywhere On The Planet ****
<http://mashable.com/2013/01/31/plugbug-world/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+%28Mashable%29>
Charlie White, Mashable

**** Office 365 Home Premium: The Mac Experience ****
<http://winsupersite.com/office-365/office-365-home-premium-mac-experience>
Paul Thurrott, Supersite For Windows

> Overall, the Mac experience isn’t as sophisticated as what we get on Windows, but maybe that will change with a future update. For now, you do get all the Office applications Microsoft makes for Mac, and you can access your SharePoint and SkyDrive documents, albeit in a less than elegant fashion.

**** For Second Time In A Month, Apple Blacklists Java Web Plugin ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/01/for-second-time-in-a-month-apple-blacklists-java-web-plug-in/>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

> For the second time in a month, Apple has effectively blacklisted the current version of the Java Web plugin on OS X. The block comes just days after it was discovered that the latest version of the plugin, which had been rushed out to patch a critical vulnerability, can still be exploited despite its heightened security mechanisms.

**** The Best Handwritten Note-Taking App On The App Store Is Now Free ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/01/31/the-best-hand-written-note-taking-app-the-app-store-now-free/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

> Evernote just announced that Penultimate, an app they recently purchased, and which used to sell for a couple bucks on the App Store, is now officially free.

**** Apple Confirms Mac Pro Sales Will Cease In EU On March 1 ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/01/31/apple-confirms-mac-pro-sales-will-cease-in-eu-on-march-1/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=wordtwit>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> “Due to evolving regulatory requirements, Apple will stop selling Mac Pro in EU, EU candidate and EFTA countries on March 1, 2013,” an Apple representative told The Loop. “After that date, resellers can sell existing inventory but Apple will no longer ship Mac Pro in those countries.”

Outside of EU, the Mac Pro will continue to be sold at least until the Mac Pro replacement arrives, hopefully sometime this year.

**** Calm UI ****
<http://focusdeficit.tumblr.com/post/41606539019/calm-ui>
Steve Craig

> iOS 6 made some strides in toning down the UI, more silver than blue, more blacks than silvers, and I thought on the iPhone especially, it felt more relaxing and pleasant to use.

**** Rolling Stone Magazine Arrives On iPad; Alienates 1M+ Print Subscribers In The Process ****
<http://www.zdnet.com/rolling-stone-magazine-arrives-on-ipad-alienates-1m-print-subscribers-in-the-process-7000010639/>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

**** Expo Notes: FiledRight Helps Small Law Firms Get Organized ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2026785/expo-notes-filedright-helps-small-law-firms-get-organized.html>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

**** The Original Sin Of Singapore’s History ****
<http://qlrs.com/essay.asp?id=993>
Daryl Lim Wei Jie, Quarterly Literary Review Singapore

> But the idea of original sin has resonance elsewhere too, in the history of nations: it gives shape, direction and impetus to history.

**** Is Scientific Truth Always Beautiful? ****
<http://chronicle.com/article/When-Beauty-Is-Not-Truth/136803/>
Christopher Shea, The Chronicle Of Higher Education