[MyAppleMenu] Dec 27, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 27 18:59:01 EST 2013

*** PicsArt Photo Studio 3.0 Features New Design And Navigation For iOS 7 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/12/picsart-photo-studio-3-0-features-new-design-and-navigation-for-ios-7>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Nokia Yanks Here Maps From The App Store, iOS 7 'Harms The User Experience' ***
<http://www.imore.com/nokia-yanks-here-maps-app-store-ios-7-harms-user-experience>
Richard Devine, iMore

> iOS 7 harms the user experience? Without any further detail, this particular statement is pretty puzzling.

*** 3 Approaches To Building Mobile Apps: Which Is Best? ***
<http://www.enterpriseappstoday.com/management-software/3-approaches-to-building-mobile-apps-which-is-best.html>
Paul Rubens, Enterprise Apps Today

*** Best Apps For Your New Mac ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/25/5231260/best-mac-apps>
The Verge

*** This Year's 20 Must-Have Mac OS X Utilities ***
<http://gizmodo.com/this-years-20-must-have-mac-os-x-utilities-1486601492>
Tommaso Nervegna, Gizmodo

*** Chatology Review ***
<http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/chatology_review>
Adam Berenstain, Mac Life

> A companion app to Messages, Chatology helps you quickly search your chat history for everything from critical notes to those — <i>ahem</i> — romantic photos you just know are in there somewhere.

*** Headline Of The Week ***
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2013/12/26/gigaom-headline>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> Nothing in Roberts’s piece even attempts to justify the word “dubious” here. And he fails to address the elephant in the room: Google itself bid over $3 billion for these same patents — $3.14159 billion, to be exact, because Google’s executives and lawyers are such a fun-loving, clever bunch — which suggests that Google doesn’t actually consider these patents the least bit “dubious”.

*** How To Teach Siri To Pronounce Someone's Name Correctly In iOS 7 ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-teach-siri-pronounce-someones-name-correctly-ios-7>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Apple Japan Hosting The "Lucky Bag" New Year Sale On January 2 ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-japan-hosting-lucky-bag-new-year-sale-january-2>
Richard Devine, iMore

> There's no telling what will be in each bag, but Apple has been known to throw in some big ticket items such as MacBooks and iPads, as well as smaller items and Apple swag.

*** Macworld, The “Grand Old Lady” Of Mac Magazines, Is Turning Into A Doddering Old Fool. ***
<http://doamm.com/2013/12/26/macworld-the-grand-old-lady-of-mac-magazines-is-turning-into-a-doddering-old-fool/>
Shawn King, Diary Of A Mad Man

> By even unintentionally blurring the Chinese Wall between their journalistic integrity and their ad sales and marketing departments, they not only continue to chip away at their reputation, they make it that much harder to get back.

*** Evernote-Integrated Lightly App Gains Location Support And Power Saving Feature ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/12/evernote-integrated-lightly-app-gains-location-support-and-power-saving-feature>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Good Grief And Great Tits ***
<http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/good-grief-and-great-tits/Content?oid=18503580>
Dan Savage, The Stranger

> About the only place this book hasn't been is in my hands, open and upright, with my eyes pointed at it. But that's about to change. Because I'm going to read this book in 20-minute bursts over the next eight hours. Why 20-minute bursts? Because that's how long it takes for a batch of my mother's Slog-famous Christmas Snowball cookies to bake. I'm going to put a tray in the oven, read, swap trays out, read some more.

> And I think it's fair to say that by the end of the day today—after all my Christmas cookies are baked—I will have read more of this book than Sarah Palin wrote.

*** A Sudden Gust ***
<http://www.believermag.com/issues/201311/?read=poem_warrener>
Sheryda Warrener, The Believer