[MyAppleMenu] Dec 4, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 4 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** iBeacons Used To Deliver Location-Based Access To iOS Newsstand Publications ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/04/ibeacons-used-to-deliver-location-based-access-to-ios-newsstand-publications/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+techcrunch%2Fapple+%28TechCrunch++apple%29>
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch

> The use of iBeacons by Exact Editions is part of their ByPlace program, which launched earlier this year to help publishers specify certain locations where their titles could be available without the usual individual subscription fee.

*** How Secure Is iCloud? ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2068528/how-secure-is-icloud-.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Sanebox Review: Recover Your Email Sanity ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2064698/sanebox-review-recover-your-email-sanity.html#tk.rss_all>
Liane Cassavoy, Macworld

> It’s suffering from a few growing pains, but it remains one of the few email services that lives up to its promise of saving you time by bringing order to your inbox.

*** RAGE Software Releases An Alternative To The Late iWeb ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/rage-software-releases-an-alternative-to-the-late-iweb/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

*** Enterprise Still Grabbing The iPads Out Of Apple’s Hands ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20131203/enterprise-still-grabbing-the-ipads-out-of-apples-hands/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

*** Azteca: Prime-Time Passion ***
<http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/azteca/?sr=hotnews.rss>
Apple

> Some of the most popular Mexican telenovelas are produced by Azteca — one of Mexico’s leading broadcasters and its second-largest mass media company. These telenovelas are broadcast through four television networks — not just in Spanish-speaking markets in the U.S. and Central and South America, but in countries as far away as Russia and China. One of the station’s networks, Azteca America, reaches 89 percent of Spanish-speaking households in the U.S.

> To help satisfy growing worldwide demand for their shows, Azteca recently rolled out a fast-paced, all-digital workflow based on Final Cut Pro X.

*** Ember Amplifies Its Utility With iOS Debut ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/03/ember-amplifies-its-utility-with-ios-debut-review/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** FileMaker 13 Makes It Easier To Deploy Databases To The Web And iOS ***
<http://www.imore.com/filemaker-13-makes-it-easier-deploy-databases-web-and-ios>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> FileMaker on Tuesday announced FileMaker 13, the newest version of their database software for OS X, Windows, iOS and the Web. More than 50 new features have been added, including dramatically improved web deployment.

> Key features in the new release include WebDirect, which enables FileMaker administrators to deploy an HTML5-based FileMaker database without needing to know how to write web page code. iPad and iPhone layouts have also been dramatically improved, with support for slide controls, popovers and gesture-based scanning.

*** PDF Expert 5 Now Available With An Updated Design, New Editing Modes, And More ***
<http://www.imore.com/pdf-expert-5-now-available-updated-design-new-editing-modes-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> PDF Expert lets you annotate, sign, manage, and share your PDF files in one place.

*** Good Ol' Freda: The Beatles' Secretary Tells Her Story ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/nov/17/beatles-secretary-freda-kelly-story>
Elizabeth Day, The Guardian

> As a 17-year-old Freda Kelly was the envy of thousands of teenage girls: she was secretary to the Fab Four and ran their fan club. Now, in a new documentary about her role, she has finally decided to open up.

*** The Secret Life Of Grief ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/the-secret-life-of-grief/281992/>
Derek Thompson, The Atlantic

> My mom’s cancer and the science of resilience.

*** Two-hit Wonder ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/10/21/131021fa_fact_max?currentPage=all&mobify=0>
D. T. Max, New Yorker

> Jack Dorsey, of Twitter, is now making big money at Square—and is out to prove that he’s more than a lucky man.

*** Into The Woods ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/12/forest_kindergarten_watch_kids_in_switzerland_go_to_school_outside_in_school.html>
Emily Bazelon, Slate