[MyAppleMenu] Aug 31, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 31 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Day One Review - A Personal Diary For Your Life ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/?reviewid=3318914&olo=rss>
Karl Hodge, Macworld UK

> Bloom Built has put together a polished journaling tool for storing your personal thoughts and experiences.

*** Staycation, All The Apps I Ever Wanted ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2047635/staycation-all-the-apps-i-ever-wanted.html#tk.rss_all>
Susie Ochs, Macworld

> These apps can make sure you have a great one without sweating too much over the planning.

*** Options for checking free hard-drive space in OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57600802-263/options-for-checking-free-hard-drive-space-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

*** Firefox 23 Review: Cheerful, Cluttered, And A Bit Too Eager To Please ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2047636/firefox-23-review-cheerful-cluttered-and-a-bit-too-eager-to-please.html#tk.rss_all>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

> I can’t ignore Firefox 23’s largely lackluster performance, or its crowded and increasingly clunky interface. But Mozilla and its developers show impressive attention to detail in each individual feature, and for all their excesses, it’s clear that they’re thinking hard about how people might use their browser.

*** Apple Blocking Support Personnel Vacations From Sept. 15-28 For Launch Of New iPhones & iOS 7 ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/30/apple-blocking-support-personnel-vacations-from-sept-15-28-for-launch-of-new-iphones-ios-7>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

*** How App Store Grifters Clone An Overnight Success To Make A Quick Buck ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/08/how-app-store-grifters-clone-an-overnight-success-to-make-a-quick-buck/>
Casey Johnston, Ars Technica

> The app had only been out three months, and already the creators of A Beautiful Mess were scrambling to deal with a big problem: clones, copycats, and rip-offs, as many as seven of them, crowding the search results in the App Store. The clones appeared to be legitimate, affiliated versions, yet as all the developers knew, they were anything but.

*** EA Reports SimCity Mac Installation Issues Have Been Resolved ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/30/ea-reports-simcity-installation-issues-have-been-resolved/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

*** Apple Inadvertently Asking Developers For iOS 7-Optimized App Icons ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/30/apple-inadvertently-asking-developers-for-ios-7-optimized-app-icons/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> As part of iOS 7′s dramatic interface changes, the Home screen icons have been slightly enlarged compared to the iOS 6 icons.

*** Apple’s iPhone Trade-In Program Going Live Across The U.S. Today ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/30/apples-iphone-trade-in-program-going-live-across-the-u-s-today/>
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch

> The program works by giving iPhone owners a chance to trade in non-water damaged devices in good working order, for between $120 and $250 or so depending on the condition of the device, what model it is and other factors. As part of the stipulations of the trade-in, customers have to walk out with a new contract as well as a new device.

*** Refreshing Finder Windows In Mac OS X ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/30/refreshing-finder-windows-in-mac-os-x/>
OS X Daily

> There is no refresh button or keyboard shortcut for the OS X Finder, something which can become a nuisance when a folder window or directory does not refresh contents after something has changed. That may be a fairly rare occurrence with a Mac built-in hard drive, but external drives and particularly network drives used for file sharing can often exhibit this behavior, where adjustments to the file system are not represented in the active Finder window.

*** Report: After Patent Loss, Apple Tweaks FaceTime—and Logs 500,000 Complaints ***
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/08/report-after-patent-loss-apple-tweaks-facetime-and-logs-500000-complaints/>
Joe Mullin, Ars Technica

> This month, testimony in a court hearing showed that not only is Apple facing royalty payments that could cost it many millions more, but it has already made changes to one of its premiere products, FaceTime—changes that reportedly have degraded the service's quality.

*** Beautune Is A Capable OS X Editor For Making Portraits ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/30/beautune-is-a-capable-os-x-editor-for-making-portraits/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** FunBITS: Blackbar Offers Trenchant Word Puzzle ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14061?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** iBookstore Customers Receive Ebook Settlement Letters ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14065?rss>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

> Payments will not begin immediately following final approval of the settlement in December 2013, assuming it is approved. That's because the case is still subject to appeal, and the payments will not begin until all appeals are resolved, a process that could take months or even years.

*** Behold Our Mutant Future In Margaret Atwood's 'MaddAddam' ***
<http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-margaret-atwood-maddaddam-20130901,0,4978411.story>
Carolyn Kellogg, Los Angeles Times

> Sometimes Margaret Atwood can get a little goofy. I mean no disrespect to the author of "The Handmaid's Tale" — in fact, it's a good thing that she writes intelligent works of dystopian fiction with a sense of humor. Otherwise, the end of the world as we know it might be just too grim.

*** Magic Kingdoms ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2013/08/disney_world_seaworld_harry_potterworld_why_americans_love_amusement_parks.html>
Troy Patterson, Slate

> At the amusement park—like the mall, a great preserve of pedestrianism in a car culture—we learn about American society and know our populist place in it.

*** Long Odds For Authors Newly Published ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/31/business/cuckoos-calling-reveals-long-odds-for-new-authors.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
James B. Stewart, New York Times

> But if the book is as good as critics are now saying it is, why didn’t it sell more copies before, especially since the rise of online publishing has supposedly made it easier than ever for first-time authors?

*** Capturing Rhythms Of Nature In Poems ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/31/books/capturing-rhythms-of-nature-in-poems.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Michiko Kakutani, New York Times

> Whether he was writing about his family’s farm and the unforgiving world of nature in his earliest poems or, later on, about an Ireland ravaged by the violence of the Troubles, Mr. Heaney possessed an uncommon ability to glean “the unsaid off the palpable,” to capture in words the relationship between the individual and the wider world, the “mind’s center and its circumference.”

*** Go Ahead, Mess With Texas Instruments ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/08/go-ahead-mess-with-texas-instruments/278899/>
Phil Nichols, The Atlantic