[MyAppleMenu] Aug 17, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 17 18:59:01 EDT 2013

*** Mac Gems: Despite Its UI, Skype Is Still The Go-to App For Internet Communications ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046052/mac-gems-despite-its-ui-skype-is-still-the-go-to-app-for-internet-communications.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

*** Fruit Ninja And Jetpack Joyride Creator Halfbrick Soft-Launches Band Stars On iOS ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/fruit-ninja-and-jetpack-joyride-creator-halfbrick-soft-launches-band-stars-on-ios>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Band Stars is a Kairosoft-style freemium simulation game that has you forming a band, hitting the studio, and recording music to reach the top of the charts.

*** Apple's USB Adapter Trade-In Program Available Worldwide, Here Are The Prices ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/apples-usb-adapter-trade-in-program-available-worldwide-here-are-the-prices>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** Google+ Update Kills The Messenger, Adds Google Drive And Google Apps Support ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/google-update-kills-the-messenger-adds-google-drive-and-google-apps-support>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple Begins Showing Mac Pro Teaser In Movie Theaters With 'Fall 2013' Announcement ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/16/apple-begins-showing-mac-pro-teaser-in-movie-theaters-with-coming-fall-2013-announcement/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

*** Plants Vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time (iOS) Review ***
<http://www.tomsguide.com/us/plants-vs-zombies-its-about-time-ios,review-1863.html>
Mike Andronico, Tom's Guide

> While "Plants vs. Zombies" is built on a rhythm of and waiting, the sequel’s combat upgrades make the action more engaging.

*** Adjusting The OS X Security Settings ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/16/technology/personaltech/adjusting-the-os-x-security-settings.html?_r=0>
J. D. Biersdorfer, New York Times

> I downloaded a program from a Web site to run on my Mac, but the system won’t let me open and install it because of “security preferences.” What is this and is there a way around it?

*** Remotely Assembled Malware Blows Past Apple’s Screening Process ***
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/518096/remotely-assembled-malware-blows-past-apples-screening-process/>
David Talbot, Technology Review

> Mystery has long shrouded how Apple vets iPhone, iPad, and iPod apps for safety. Now, researchers who managed to get a malicious app up for sale in the App Store have determined that the company’s review process runs at least some programs for only a few seconds before giving the green light.

*** A Simple, Inexpensive Way To Create Personalized Launch Agents On Your Mac ***
<http://noodlemac.com/2013/08/a-simple-inexpensive-way-to-create-personalized-launch-agents-on-your-mac/>
Ron McElfresh, Noodlemac

*** How To Record Your Mac’s Screen Using QuickTime X ***
<http://www.mactrast.com/2013/08/how-to-record-your-macs-screen-using-quicktime-x/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=how-to-record-your-macs-screen-using-quicktime-x>
J. Glenn Künzler, MacTrast

*** Mac Gems: Perform Easy Edits To A Stack Of Photos With PhotoBulk ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046051/mac-gems-perform-easy-edits-to-a-stack-of-photos-with-photobulk.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeff Sandstoe, Macworld

> PhotoBulk 1.5 is a photo-editing app that provides a simple and easy way to process a bunch of images.

*** Evomail For iOS Updated With Support For Aliases, Bug Fixes, And More ***
<http://www.imore.com/evomail-ios-updated-support-aliases-bug-fixes-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Apple Starts Doubling The Number Of Devices Developers Can Use To Test iOS Apps ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/16/apple-starts-doubling-the-number-of-devices-developers-can-use-to-test-ios-apps/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Scott Buscemi, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple Pushes Out iTunes Update To Address iTunes In The Cloud Issues ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-pushed-out-itunes-update-address-itunes-cloud-issues>
Richard Devine, iMore

> The bump to version 11.0.5 corrects an issue where iTunes in the Cloud would download or play unexpected items.

*** Apple Opens Graphics Card Replacement Program For Some Mid-2011 iMacs ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/16/apple-opens-graphics-card-replacement-program-for-some-mid-2011-imacs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple Asks Devs To Prepare For New App Store Kids Category In iOS 7, Adds Age Ranges For Children ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/16/apple-asks-devs-to-prepare-for-new-app-store-kids-category-in-ios-7-adds-age-ranges-for-children/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple has sent out an email reminding developers about the new Kids category, originally announced at WWDC. The email explains that the category is intended to provide a ‘safe-haven’ for parents that want to find age appropriate apps for their children.

*** The (De-)evolution Of My Laptop Battery ***
<http://www.ifweassume.com/2013/08/the-de-evolution-of-my-laptop-battery.html?bg>
If We Assume

> My usage is the same, as far as I can tell. Some others have reported issues, describing dramatic battery decay in 2012 era Mac notebooks. Maybe these new batteries are just not built as well? My MacBook Pro had a capacity of 4600mAh, while the MacBook Air boasts a factory capacity of 6667mAh. Perhaps the engineering required to provide 45% more power for a computer almost half the size means the battery isn't as durable.

*** Critics Need To Stop Coddling Restaurants ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/08/how_long_should_a_restaurant_critic_wait_before_reviewing_a_new_restaurant.html>
Luke O'Neil, Slate

> Why would a restaurant deserve a more friendly review timetable than any other form of leisure or entertainment?

*** Fruit Of Knowledge ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/books/review/the-faraway-nearby-by-rebecca-solnit.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Robin Romm, New York Times

> Creating links between seemingly disparate ideas is Solnit’s gift, her stock in trade. It’s what gives her writing its eccentricity, its spirit and frenetic energy.

*** Underground Idol ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/books/review/night-film-by-marisha-pessl.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Joe Hill, New York Times

> No one can accuse Marisha Pessl of unfamiliarity with the tools of the modern thriller. With pages of faked-up old photos, invented Web sites and satellite maps, “Night Film” — Pessl’s second novel, following “Special Topics in Calamity Physics” (2006) — asserts itself as a multimedia presentation more than an old-fashioned book.

*** The Art Of Passing For Them ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/books/review/the-art-of-passing-for-them.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Mary Stewart Hammond, New York Times