[MyAppleMenu] Apr 26, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 26 18:59:01 EDT 2013

**** Bugs & Fixes: Fixing Apple TV Lost Network Connections ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2036389/bugs-and-fixes-fixing-apple-tv-lost-network-connections.html#tk.rss_all>
Ted Landau, Macworld

**** Apple Reverses Decision To Change VPN On Demand In VirnetX Lawsuit, But Only For Devices That Already Shipped ****
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/26/apple-reverses-decision-to-change-vpn-on-demand-in-virnetx-lawsuit-but-only-for-devices-that-already-shipped/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

**** Why Apple Is Purposely Going Into Debt ****
<http://theweek.com/article/index/243325/why-apple-is-purposely-going-into-debt>
Sergio Hernandez, The Week

> Borrowing money to pay its shareholders actually costs Apple less than paying taxes on its massive cash piles.

**** How To Wipe A Mac: Erase Your Mac's Hard drive ****
<http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/apple/3444129/how-wipe-mac/>
Matt Egan, PC Advisor

> Before you sell or give away your Mac, iMac or Macbook, you need to securely erase its contents and reinstall the OS. Passing on a cleanly installed Mac isn't just good manners, it's critical to your personal security. You need to ensure that you pass on only hardware and software, and not your personal data. Here's how to wipe a Mac - you'll need the install discs that came with it.

**** How To Make Quick Work Of Text Navigation In OS X ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57581242-263/how-to-make-quick-work-of-text-navigation-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If you are tired of holding the arrow keys and waiting for your cursor to move, there are alternatives to greatly speed this up.

**** Attorney General Calls T-Mobile’s No-contract Plans ‘Deceptive’, Carrier Agrees To Offer Refunds And Change Advertising ****
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/25/attorney-general-calls-t-mobiles-no-contract-plans-deceptive-carrier-agrees-to-offer-refunds-and-change-advertising/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

**** Triage: Email First Aid Review ****
<http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/triage_email_first_aid_review>
Michael Simon, Mac Life

> Triage is not looking to replace your email client of choice. It doesn't support push notifications. You can't search or sort, and you can't batch delete. Heck, you can't even compose a new message. The only thing you can do is reply, archive, or delete each message, one at a time. It seems crazy, but the method is fairly ingenious: Your electronic mail is no different than your physical mail, so why should you treat it any differently?

**** The Easiest Way To Lock Your Mac When You Leave, Unlock It When You Return ****
<http://bohemianboomer.com/2013/04/the-easiest-way-to-lock-your-mac-when-you-leave-unlock-it-when-you-return/>
Jeff Mincey, Bohemian Boomer

> Pair up Bluetooth on your iPhone or iPad to the Mac. Keycard resides in the background and locks up your Mac when you step away, and unlocks it when you return.

**** Sequence Review ****
<http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/sequence_review>
Rod Lawton, Mac Life

> Sequence 1.1 does this incredibly quickly—you simply drop your folder of stills onto a big import window, wait a few moments while the software renders a preview of your movie, and then watch as your time-lapse movie plays back.

**** Customizing The OS X Menu Bar ****
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/customization/customizing-the-os-x-menu-bar/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Mactuts%2B%29>
Paula DuPont, Mactuts+

**** New iPhone Commercial Focuses On Photos Every Day ****
<http://www.imore.com/new-iphone-commercial-focuses-photos-every-day>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

**** Instapaper: Under New Managment ****
<http://macsparky.com/blog/2013/4/instapaper-under-new-managment>
David Sparks, MacSparky

> Marco Arment's sold Instapaper (at least most of his interest in it). It appears, however, he didn't pull this off by finding the biggest company willing to write a check with the largest number of zeros but instead sought out a company, in this case betaworks, willing to shower love on Instapaper as he did.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.marco.org/2013/04/25/instapaper-next-generation">The Next Generation Of instapaper</a> (Marco Arment): Instapaper is much bigger today than I could have predicted in 2008, and it has simply grown far beyond what one person can do.
• <a href="http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/25/betaworks-instapaper/">Digg Owner Betaworks Buys Instapaper To Go Big On Social Reading And Discovery</a> (Ryan Lawler, TechCrunch)

**** AltWWDC Offers Free Alternative To Apple's Developer Conference ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2036385/altwwdc-offers-free-alternative-to-apples-developer-conference.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Twitter Revives, Updates Native OS X Client ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2036387/twitter-revives-updates-native-os-x-client.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> The new release comes with a number of new features, including a slightly tweaked user interface, support for Macs with Retina displays, and the ability for users to upload and share photos along with their tweets. The app now also supports fourteen new languages, including Italian, French, German, Dutch, Russian, Simplified Chinese, and more.

**** WWDC 2013 Sells Out In Three Minutes ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2036377/wwdc-2013-sells-out-in-three-minutes.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** StatsBar For Mac Provides Quick System Statistics ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/04/25/statsbar-for-mac-provides-quick-system-statistics/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

**** David Sedaris Has A Pleasingly Strange Voice ****
<http://www.salon.com/2013/04/25/david_sedaris_has_a_pleasingly_strange_voice/>
Kyle Minor, Salon

> The brilliant essayist already writes for the listener, which makes his new audiobook yet another triumph.

**** The Rise Of Big Data ****
<http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/139104/kenneth-neil-cukier-and-viktor-mayer-schoenberger/the-rise-of-big-data?page=show>
Kenneth Neil Cukier and Viktor Mayer-Schoenberger, Foreign Affairs

> Everyone knows that the Internet has changed how businesses operate, governments function, and people live. But a new, less visible technological trend is just as transformative: “big data.” Big data starts with the fact that there is a lot more information floating around these days than ever before, and it is being put to extraordinary new uses. Big data is distinct from the Internet, although the Web makes it much easier to collect and share data. Big data is about more than just communication: the idea is that we can learn from a large body of information things that we could not comprehend when we used only smaller amounts.

**** Our Chocolate, Ourselves ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://medium.com/the-ingredients-2/7d83511a4d60>
Jordana Rothman, Medium

> Still, there’s an ancient kinship between chocolate and sex, sired by centuries of misinformation and spread by everyone from Aztec emperors to lip-biting ladies in Peppermint Pattie commercials. I came by it honestly. For me, the affinity between these two pleasures crystallized the first time I loosed an edible penis from a candy mold.

**** What If We Never Run Out Of Oil? ****
<http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/05/what-if-we-never-run-out-of-oil/309294/?single_page=true>
Charles C. Mann, The Atlantic