[MyAppleMenu] Apr 20, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 20 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** Clear Browser Updated With Multi-Tab Support Plus Back And Forward Gestures ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/04/clear-browser-updated-with-multi-tab-support-plus-back-and-forward-gestures>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

**** Twitter #Music Review ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twitter/10005889/Twitter-music-review.html>
Matt Warman, Telegraph

> It’s only really Twitter users with mainstream music tastes that will find #music useful.

**** Parallels Desktop 8 Vs VMware Fusion 5 Comparison Review: Best Way To Run Windows On Mac ****
<http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/software/3443104/parallels-desktop-8-vs-vmware-fusion-5-comparison-review/>
Andrew Harrison, PC Advisor

> Both VMware and Parallels offer solid performance and useful features when running Windows on a Mac. If you need the fastest performance, Parallels still edges out VMware Fusion, although the latter is available for half the price.

**** How To Add Line Breaks Between List Items In OS X Mail ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57580513-263/how-to-add-line-breaks-between-list-items-in-os-x-mail/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Use OS X Finder Shortcuts In Open And Save Dialog Boxes ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57580351-263/use-os-x-finder-shortcuts-in-open-and-save-dialog-boxes/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** The Market For Paid iOS Apps Isn’t Dead ****
<http://www.marco.org/2013/04/19/paid-app-market>
Marco Arment

> The bar is higher, but the market is fine.

Also
• <a href="http://www.macstories.net/linked/the-market-for-paid-ios-apps/">The Market for Paid iOS Apps</a> (Federico Viticci, MacStories): The 2013 app market is fine if you have the right idea, executed well at the right time. In four years of writing this site — it was launched 9 months after the App Store — I’ve learnt this: people like new apps, but they expect a certain degree of quality and functionality from modern iOS apps.

**** Apple Finally Reveals How Long Siri Keeps Your Data ****
<http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/04/siri-two-years/>
Robert McMillan, Wired

> Here’s what happens. Whenever you speak into Apple’s voice activated personal digital assistant, it ships it off to Apple’s data farm for analysis. Apple generates a random numbers to represent the user and it associates the voice files with that number. This number — not your Apple user ID or email address — represents you as far as Siri’s back-end voice analysis system is concerned.

> Once the voice recording is six months old, Apple “disassociates” your user number from the clip, deleting the number from the voice file. But it keeps these disassociated files for up to 18 more months for testing and product improvement purposes.

**** You Are Not Steve Jobs ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://medium.com/editors-picks/9ae1727d2479>
Erin Caton, Medium

> He was an abusive husband to an entire company. But at least he had a track record of success.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.imore.com/apples-botched-mobileme-launch-and-failure-fear-based-management">Apple's botched MobileMe launch and the failure of fear-based management</a> (Rene Ritchie, iMore): Troubled launches with Siri and with iOS 6 Maps show that not all lessons may have been launched from MobileMe, and if Caton is right, might also show at least part of the reason why.

**** Book Review: ‘Cooked: A Natural History Of Transformation’ By Michael Pollan ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/cooked-a-natural-history-of-transformation-by-michael-pollan/2013/04/18/ec87c17e-a396-11e2-9c03-6952ff305f35_story.html>
Joe Yonan, Washington Post

> Why bother cooking? The reasons to skip it are stacked as high as the microwavable meals in a Costco freezer case. You don’t have time, of course (or you think you don’t); that’s the big one. But you also don’t do it as well as the professionals, so it’s tempting to let them handle it for you. Or at least let them give you a head start in the form of meal-assembly shops, cake mixes, and canned, frozen and pre-chopped ingredients.

> Michael Pollan thinks you should bother, and not just as a fashionable exercise in hipsterdom. His latest book, “Cooked,” is a powerful argument for a return to home cooking of the sort that doesn’t begin with an attempt to find the perforated opening.

**** Rolf Dobelli's Ideas About Not Needing News Are Dangerous ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/18/rolf-dobelli-ideas-news-dangerous?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+(Books)>
Madeleine Bunting, The Guardian