[MyAppleMenu] Apr 11, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 11 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** Review: StockTouch Is A Colorful, Creative Alternative To Apple's Stocks App ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2033751/review-stocktouch-is-a-colorful-creative-alternative-to-apples-stocks-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Mail Pilot For iPhone And iPad Review: Turn Your Inbox Into A Productivity Powerhouse ****
<http://www.imore.com/mail-pilot-iphone-and-ipad-review-turn-your-inbox-productivity-powerhouse>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

**** Mini Display Review: Use Your iPhone Or iPad As A 2Nd Display For Your Mac. ****
<http://www.imore.com/mini-display-review-use-your-iphone-or-ipad-2nd-display-your-mac>
Leanna Lofte, IMore

**** Dealing With Junk Mail ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2033767/dealing-with-junk-mail.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Review: With PDFpenPro 6, Smile Makes A Great PDF Utility Even Better ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2033458/review-with-pdfpenpro-6-smile-makes-a-great-pdf-utility-even-better.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> PDFpenPro is the crème de la crème of PDF editing and annotating applications. While the app’s new editing bar makes the program easier to use, it’s features such PDFpenPro’s form-recognition tool and excellent PDF-to-Word conversion tool that continue to make PDFpenPro a constant companion in my daily workflow.

**** First Open Source Version Of LiveCode Arrives ****
<http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/First-open-source-version-of-LiveCode-arrives-1838541.html>
The H

> LiveCode is a graphical IDE based around the concepts of Apple's HyperCard, which was introduced in 1987. The IDE allows users to create desktop and mobile applications by dragging and dropping control elements and allocating code to them. LiveCode uses a natural English-based development language that is also inspired by HyperCard.

**** Fix Permissions Errors For Sandboxed Applications In OS X ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57578706-263/fix-permissions-errors-for-sandboxed-applications-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Quicksilver 1.0: Out Of Beta After Ten Years – The ‘Book Mystique Review ****
<http://www.macprices.net/2013/04/10/quicksilver-1-0-out-of-beta-after-ten-years-the-book-mystique-review/>
Charles Moore, MacPrices.net

**** Pixa 1.0.4 Review: Could This Be The Photo Organiser To Rival Apple's iPhoto? ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/?reviewid=3441210&olo=rss>
Cliff Joseph, Macworld UK

> If you want a little more freedom in the way that you organize your photo collection then you could take a look at Pixa from Shiny Frog. Pixa’s interface is very similar to that of iPhoto, and allows you to import photos simply by dragging and dropping them into the program’s main workspace window. You can also create your own ‘projects’ – which are Pixa’s equivalent of iPhoto albums.

**** Ambrosia Software Employees Report Layoffs, But Company Says It's Still In Business ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/04/10/ambrosia-software-lays-off-its-developing-team-has-reportedly-f/>
Megan Lavey-Heaton, TUAW

**** Comixology Takes Responsibility For Not Allowing Explicit Comic In iOS App ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2033704/apple-blocks-explicit-comic-in-app-store-but-not-ibookstore.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> Apple confirmed to <i>Macworld</i> later on Wednesday that it did not block Saga #12, and Comixology CEO David Steinberger subsequently took responsibility in a post on the company’s blog.

> Steinberger went on to apologize to Vaughan and his publisher, Image Comics, and to say that “our interpretation of [Apple's] policies was mistaken” and that Saga #12 would be available via the Comixology app soon; less than an hour later, it was indeed available for purchase.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/10/4210228/brian-k-vaughan-apologizes-for-blaming-apple-in-saga-controversy">Brian K. Vaughan apologizes for saying Apple banned 'Saga' after Comixology confusion</a> (Adi Robertson, The Verge)

**** Foursquare 6.0 For iPhone Improves Explore Recommendations ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/04/10/foursquare-6-0-for-iphone-improves-explore-recommendations/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** My So-Called 'Post-Feminist' Life In Arts And Letters ****
<http://www.thenation.com/article/173743/my-so-called-post-feminist-life-arts-and-letters?page=full#>
Deborah Copaken Kogan, The Nation

> I'm told I have no say in the matter. The cover that the publisher designs has a naked cartoon torso against a pink background with a camera covering the genitalia. I tell them it's usually my eye behind the camera, not my vagina. I fight—hard—to change the cover. Thankfully, I win this one, agreeing to shoot the cover photo myself, gratis. When my publicist tries to pitch the book to NPR's Terry Gross, a producer tells him that Terry likes the "Shutter" part of the title but not the "babe" part.

**** Do Writers Really Retire? ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/04/do-writers-really-retire.html>
Ian Crouch, New Yorker