[MyAppleMenu] Sep 25, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 25 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Adobe Launches Photoshop Elements 11 And Premiere Elements 11 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010170/adobe-launches-photoshop-elements-11-and-premiere-elements-11.html>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> jThis photo and video editing duo—joined by a free helper app called the Organizer—lets users manage, edit, create, and share photos and videos in a variety of ways.

**** Google Says Maps Not Waiting In Wings For iPhone 5 ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/25/us-google-iphone-idUSBRE88O0BY20120925>
Kevin Krolicki, Reuters

> "We think it would have been better if they had kept ours. But what do I know?" Schmidt told a small group of reporters in Tokyo. "What were we going to do, force them not to change their mind? It's their call."

> Schmidt said Google and Apple were in constant communication "at all kinds of levels." But he said any decision on whether Google Maps would be accepted as an application in the Apple App Store would have to be made by Apple.

> "We have not done anything yet," he said.

**** The Best Children's Apps Are About Great Storytelling And Strong Characters ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2012/sep/25/best-childrens-apps-storytelling?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Stuart Dredge, The Guardian

> The more I thought about all this technology, and how my own three and five year-old sons use apps, the more I realised that the best children's apps are successful because of a pair of more traditional qualities.

> Great storytelling. Strong characters.

**** Apple Maps Errors Send Japanese To Homegrown App ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/technology/apple-maps-errors-send-japanese-to-homegrown-app.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Hiroko Tabuchi, New York Times

> Mapion is one of Japan’s homegrown companies that is benefiting from Apple’s maps debacle, which has left local owners of the new iPhone 5 flummoxed over erroneous place names, long-outdated landmarks and train stations that appear to hover in the middle of the sea.

**** Lab Tests: How Long Does The iPhone 5'S Battery Last? ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010535/lab-tests-how-long-does-the-iphone-5s-battery-last.html>
James Galbraith, Macworld

> The results: Simply put, the iPhone 5 did not last as long as the iPhone 4s or 4.

**** Microsoft's Moves Foreshadow Price Hike For Mac Office ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9231635/Microsoft_s_moves_foreshadow_price_hike_for_Mac_Office>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> The problem for Microsoft is that if it does not raise prices of Office for Mac 2011, and ditch the two- and three-license packages, it will have a very tough time convincing Mac owners to swallow the subscription plans.

**** Early Adopters Experiencing Issues With Apple's iPhone 5 ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/early-adopters-experiencing-issues-with-apples-latest-iphone-5/>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

> Dodgy WiFi connections and possible light leaks add to woes with Maps.

**** iPhone 5: A Little Bit Taller, A Little Bit Baller ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/iphone-5-a-little-bit-taller-a-little-bit-baller/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Apple TV Gains iTunes Account Switching, Subtitle Support ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/apple-tv-gains-itunes-account-switching-subtitle-support/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> Apple pushed a software update to its set-top box on Monday that brings the ability to easily switch between multiple iTunes accounts, allowing you to purchase or watch TV shows from those accounts without having to re-enter a password every time you switch. The Apple TV also gained support for shared Photo Streams (introduced to iOS devices last week as part of iOS 6), subtitle support for the hard-of-hearing, and a handful of other features.

**** Verizon Says iPhone 5 Won't Be 'Relocked' ****
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/story/2012/09/24/verizon-says-iphone-5-wont-be-relocked/57836744/1>
Peter Svensson, Associated Press

**** Adobe Unveils Edge Tools & Services For Web Creation ****
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2010306/adobe-unveils-edge-tools-and-services-for-web-creation.html>
Jackie Dove, TechHive

**** How To Clean Up Facebook Updates In iOS 6 Contacts ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010507/how-to-clean-up-facebook-updates-in-ios-6-contacts.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> Head back into the Settings app, scroll way down to find Facebook, and then look for the switches beneath the header Allow These Apps To Use Your Account. Turn off the Contacts’ apps access.

**** Turn Email Into Reminders ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010511/turn-email-into-reminders.html>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> Just launch Reminders, select an email message from within one of Mail’s mailboxes, and drag it to one of the headings within Reminders—Work or Home, for example.

**** How iOS 6 Will Affect Developers — And You ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13296?rss>
Matt Neuburg, TidBITS

**** Adobe's Continuing Revolution Pushes The Cutting Edge Of HTML5 Development ****
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/09/adobes-continuing-revolution-pushes-the-cutting-edge-of-html5-development/>
Peter Bright, Ars Technica

**** Tasting Like Chicken ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2012/09/tasting_like_chicken_its_evolutionary_origins_.single.html>
Jackson Landers, Slate

> At least once a week, someone tells me that some food other than chicken “tastes like chicken.” People throw the analogy around constantly. Virtually any meat that is pale in color, firm in texture, and lacking a strong flavor is subjected to the chicken comparison.

> Why chicken?

**** Singapore Cooling Measures Rake In Half A Billion ****
<http://www.property-report.com/singapore-cooling-measures-rake-in-half-a-billion-24972>
Property Report

**** Operation Spectrum - A Dark Page In Singapore's History? ****
<http://anonc.blogspot.sg/2012/09/operation-spectrum-dark-page-in.html>
Anonymous Craven

**** Strong Case For S'pore To Continue With Calibrated Immigration Policy ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1227895/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Tan Qiuyi, Channel NewsAsia

**** What Does It Mean To Be ‘Politicising’? ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/does-mean-politicising-082433277.html>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

> It is hard to see how raising questions — legitimate questions — and criticisms could be seen as "politicising" the issues. On the contrary, to assign such a label to these legitimate concerns means the government is able to avoid the issues without addressing them.

> Yet, while the government points fingers at others, it has also politicised many areas of our lives here in Singapore, and critics would — and indeed have — pointed to these. For example, the politicisation of the grassroots such that defeated candidates of the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) get to call the shots, as advisers, in the constituency in which they were defeated. HDB upgrading projects, for the longest time, were prioritised to the advantage of constituencies which had voted for the PAP.

**** Daughter Became Homeless Caring For Disabled Mother ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/09/daughter-became-homeless-caring-for-disabled-mother/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

> If things don’t work out, the 30-month debarment period before anyone who has sold a HDB flat (including those who are foreclosed or can’t pay) can apply for a new HDB flat with a resale levy payable, or a HDB rental flat, could be more flexible.

> Otherwise, some may end up homeless like Rina.

**** An Opportunity For Collaborative Government ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/views/opportunity-collaborative-government>
Benjamin Pwee, Straits Times

> The PAP Government must also be serious about wanting to not just consult, but to also collaborate. And the most obvious place to begin such collaborative public policy formulation partnerships, is in Parliament with Opposition MPs who represent the views and heartbeats of their voting constituencies who put them into Parliament, as well as with NCMP and NMPs alike.

> As many have asked, why aren’t opposition MPs and NCMPs included in the Our SG Conversation committee? They should not just be members of the public whose views will be sought, as my ex-schoolmate Tan Chuan-Jin said on our Raffles Institution Alumni Facebook site. They are democratically-voted Parliamentarians representing their respective constituencies, and should be the primary priority strategic partners in this consultative/collaborative conversation.

The PAP government never had any track record of collaboration -- especially with others who are not of the same background and experience.

**** Torturing The Poorest Of The Poor, In The Name Of Law And Order ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/torturing-the-poorest-of-the-poor-in-the-name-of-law-and-order/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

**** Malaysia And Singapore: The Orlando Of Southeast Asia? ****
<http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/visit/malaysia-and-singapore-orlando-southeast-asia-000561>
CNNGo

> Orlando, Florida. A magical city filled with pricey theme parks, tacky souvenir shops and hysterical children driving their parents to madness with sugar-induced temper tantrums.

> Not to mention highly lucrative if you're one of said theme park's investors.

> No surprise then that England-based Merlin Entertainment Group is keen to see southern Malaysia and Singapore emulate the United States' city's tourism success.

**** In Singapore, The Voices Of Dissent Grow Louder ****
<http://www.npr.org/2012/09/24/161698569/in-singapore-the-voices-of-dissent-grow-louder>
Anthony Kuhn, NPR

> After decades of enforced silence, Singaporeans who spent years in jail without charges or trial are shattering a political taboo by speaking out about their detention — and the colonial-era security laws that made it possible.

> Critics admit that Singapore has applied the ISA sparingly, compared to neighboring Malaysia. In recent years, ISA arrests have been of suspected terrorists, not dissidents. Although without a fair trial, critics point out, who is to say who's a terrorist or a dissident?

**** Lawrence Wong Says Nice Things, But Let’s Move Forward Also Lah ****
<http://www.visakanv.com/blog/2012/09/lawrence-wong/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=lawrence-wong>
Visakan Veerasamy

> So how about we actually get around to doing it? Why don’t you reach out across the divide and address the differences?

**** Lawrence Wong Rebutted ****
<http://newnation.sg/2012/09/lawrence-wong-rebutted/>
New Nation

> By asking citizens to <i>not politicise</i> every conversation and discussion, Lawrence Wong has inevitably politicised it. It is the same as telling you not to think of a black cat. Because you just did.

**** No Apology For M Ravi Affair ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120925-0000052/No-apology-for-M-Ravi-affair>
Ashley Chia And Amir Hussain, Today