[MyAppleMenu] Sep 23, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 23 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** iPhone 5 Benchmarked: The Fastest Smartphone In The Land ****
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410034,00.asp>
Sascha Segan, PC Magazine

> A phone's hardware performance can't be taken in isolation, but it's definitely a piece of the puzzle. Based on these benchmarks, the iPhone 5 lives up to the promise of being twice as fast as the iPhone 4S. It's also, for now, the fastest handheld computer sold in the US.

**** The iPhone 5 Front Is Not Flush With The Frame ****
<http://fayezmoh.tumblr.com/post/32098525069/the-iphone-5-front-is-not-flush-with-the-frame>
Fayez Mohamood

> Upon looking at both faces, it looks like the back of the iPhone is flush with the side chamfers, but the front glass actually juts out slightly, but my a noticeable millimeter or so. The tingling in my spine disappeared; the more I looked at it, the more it bothered me.

I wish this author didn't write the last paragraph, though.

**** How Ridiculous Is It That Apple Maps Redirect To Google Maps On The Web? ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/22/mapsception/>
Alexia Tsotsis, TechCrunch

**** How To Make The Best Of iOS 6'S Do Not Disturb Feature ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/how-to-make-the-best-of-ios-6s-do-not-disturb-feature/>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

> Your reasons for using Do Not Disturb may differ—maybe you are a light sleeper yourself, or maybe you just need to limit work-related or other distractions. For those who rely on iOS's notifications to keep abreast of appointments, to-dos, important e-mails, or even just <i>Ticket to Ride Pocket</i> challenges—but still occasionally need to sleep, spend time with family, or just take a technology break—Do Not Disturb is for you. Here's how to take advantage of its features.

**** iPhone Buyers Avoid Apple Circus At Carrier Stores ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/09/21/iphone-buyers-avoid-apple-circus-at-carrier-stores/>
Thomas Gryta, Wall Street Journal

> As Apple Inc.’s flagship Fifth Avenue store attracted its usual cult-like carnival of devotees, a group of savvy iPhone 5 seekers in midtown Manhattan found an easier time by going to the retail stores of the major U.S. wireless carriers.

**** iOS 6: Messages Now Automatically Selects Last-Used International Keyboard For Each Contact ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/ios-6-messages-now-automatically-selects-last-used-international-keyboard-for-each-contact/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>

**** Power, Pollution And The Internet ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/technology/data-centers-waste-vast-amounts-of-energy-belying-industry-image.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0>
James Glanz, New York Times

> A yearlong examination by The New York Times has revealed that this foundation of the information industry is sharply at odds with its image of sleek efficiency and environmental friendliness.

**** The Indomitable Mary Meeker ****
<http://www.wired.com/business/2012/09/mf-mary-meeker/all/>
Steven Levy, Wired

> There is no president of the Internet. But there is a queen. That only-somewhat-exaggerated sobriquet belongs to Mary Meeker, the 53-year-old financial analyst turned venture capitalist. Back in 1995, Meeker—then an analyst at Morgan Stanley—foresaw how a wave of unprecedented innovation was going to change lives and create enormous wealth. She summarized her views in a landmark report that instantly secured her reputation as the Nostradamus of technology.

**** For The Home Workshop, A GPS For Power Tools ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/technology/computer-precision-for-power-tools-novelties.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Anne Eisenberg, New York Times

> Now computers and their tireless calculations may bolster the skills of many people who want to create well-cut picture frames, inlays or furniture but lack the dexterity.

**** Reviews: Frankenstein And Dracula Cast Their Shadows In New Books ****
<http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-carlos-fuentes-20120923,0,5981150.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
Dale Bailey, Los Angeles Times

> When Mary Shelley wrote "Frankenstein" in 1816, she could not have conceived of the cultural landmark it would become.

**** Should The Terminally Ill Control Their Deaths? ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/09/22/should_the_terminally_ill_control_their_death/>
Daniel Krieger, Salon

> A year after my mother's uncomfortable decline, it's a question with which I'm still wrestling.

**** Your Brain On Pseudoscience: The Rise Of Popular Neurobollocks ****
<http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/books/2012/09/your-brain-pseudoscience>
Steven Poole, New Statesman

> The “neuroscience” shelves in bookshops are groaning. But are the works of authors such as Malcolm Gladwell and Jonah Lehrer just self-help books dressed up in a lab coat?

**** When All Hope Is Gone, Sad Songs Say So Much ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/when-all-hope-is-gone-put-on-a-sad-song/2012/09/20/a656f358-fce5-11e1-a31e-804fccb658f9_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Aaron Leitko, Washington Post

> Everybody hurts, sometimes. And when they do, it helps to know that there’s a song called “Everybody Hurts” and who wrote it. In “This Will End in Tears,” Adam Brent Houghtaling attempts to assemble a field guide to musical melancholy — a volume that catalogues every sad sack in the record store, from David Ackles to Townes Van Zandt.

**** The Third-born ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2012/09/24/120924fi_fiction_hamid?currentPage=all&src=longreads>
Mohsin Hamid, New Yorker

**** “How Music Works” By David Byrne ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinion/how-music-works-by-david-byrne/2012/09/22/341d210e-fb73-11e1-b2af-1f7d12fe907a_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Tim Page, Washington Post

> This is a decidedly generous book — welcoming, informal, digressive, full of ideas and intelligence — and one has the pleasant sense that Byrne is speaking directly to the reader, sharing a few confidences he has picked up over the years. It is part autobiography, part how-to guide, part history and part prognostication — all engaging but none really complete.

**** Boy Committed Suicide After Being Questioned By Police ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/boy-committed-suicide-after-being-questioned-by-police/>
The Temasek Times

**** Dying Man Cannot Keep Beloved Dogs Because Neighbours Complain ****
<http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120923-373227.html>
AsiaOne

> Mr Tan Cheng Chuan has only six months left to live, and his dying wish is to spend his last days with his two beloved dogs.

> Six months to his expected deathbed, he is now being told by the authorities that he must give up one dog to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA).

**** Channel NewsAsia Writes F1 Extension Is Supported By Man And Woman Of Singapore ****
<http://socialpr.blogspot.sg/2012/09/channel-newsasia-writes-f1-extension-is.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+SmallStepsForSocialPr+(Small+steps+for+Social+PR)>
Aaron Koh, Small Steps For Social PR

**** Blinkered MDA Worried That Media Consumers May Trust The Internet ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/blinkered-mda-worried-that-media-consumers-may-trust-the-internet/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> The remark tells us less about the data than about the mindset. It suggests a mindset that holds as incontrovertible truth the following dictum: If internet users trust most (or, in the case of a few respondents, all) of what they read as truthful, these people must have taken leave of good sense and reality. Just as evolution never happened, this cannot possibly be. The internet just is not truthful. How can people believe that??? And so many of them!!!

**** 6 Million People In Singapore Should Not Be A Problem ****
<http://everythingalsocomplain.com/2012/09/23/6-million-people-in-singapore-should-not-be-a-problem/>
Everything Also Complain

> But the most important thing about a station packed to the brim is not so much the breathless and cold sweat one experiences just looking at it, but that we face such levels of appalling congestion despite our government only recently <i>planning</i> for it (for 6.5 million people too).

**** ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/2012/09/23/article01/>

The last time the PAP government promised us that we can accommodate <i>x</i> number of population, we had undersupply of housing and overcrowding of public transport.
So, why should we believe them this time round?

**** Singapore Aims To Capture Its History, 'Messiness' And All ****
<http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/22/world/asia/singapore-memory-project/index.html>
David Gurien, CNN