[MyAppleMenu] Oct 26, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 26 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Apple’s iPad Mini And MacBook Pro Ads ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/10/25/apples-ipad-mini-and-macbook-pro-ads/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

**** Apple Complies With UK Judgment, Acknowledges That Samsung Didn't Copy iPad Design ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/26/3557788/apple-ipad-samsung-galaxy-tab-design-acknowledgement>
Vlad Savov, The Verge

**** Review: 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Offers Optimal Choice For Lightweight Laptop Users ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2013072/review-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-offers-optimal-choice-for-lightweight-laptop-users.html>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> Who is the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro for? It’s ideal for professional users who want a large, yet compact digital workspace that doesn’t sacrifice a lot of processing performance. The MacBook Air is still the choice for users for whom weight is a top priority—traveling business users or students who need to write papers in-between treks across campus. However, the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro isn’t that much heavier than the 13-inch MacBook Air, so if you are a demanding user who works on location, you won’t feel like you’re sacrificing much portability with the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro.

**** Create Cool Video Titles In Final Cut Pro X ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2012195/create-cool-video-titles-in-final-cut-pro-x.html>
Mark Spencer, Macworld

**** Apple's No Internal Client Syndrome ****
<http://rant.monkeydom.de/apples-no-internal-client-syndrome>
Dominik Wgner

> Game Center is supposed to be this fun and engaging infrastructure to enrich games and provide services like online matchmaking and connectivity. The idea is great, the infrastructure is really necessary, but the actual implementation is so bad almost all developers I know and talked about it dread using it. This has many reasons, some of them will be topic on this blog. But for now I just want to put attention to the one structural reason:

> There is no internal client for Game Kit and Game Center at Apple.

Mac OS X does ship with the Chess game. Which, as far as I know, is not on Game Center.

**** Apple Has Made 'A Number Of Improvements' To Maps, Will 'Work Non-stop' To Keep Fixing Issues ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/25/3555616/apple-maps-improvements-work-non-stop>
Nathan Ingraham, The Verge

**** Apple Changing App Store Prices For Several Countries ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-changing-app-store-prices-for-several-countries-commission-from-30-to-40-in-europe/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** Why Apple Was Right To Price iPad Mini At $329 ****
<http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/15958220-452/ihnatko-why-apple-was-right-to-price-ipad-mini-at-329.html>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

> I think Apple respects the concept of “affordability.” It’s just not a driving passion for the company.

Apple countered cheap laptops (netbooks) with iPads. What is that next big thing Apple will use to counter cheap tablets?

**** Tim Cook Addresses Steve Jobs' 7-Inch Tablet Remarks, Says iPad Mini In A Whole Different League ****
<http://www.imore.com/tim-cook-says-ipad-not-7-inch-tablet-whole-different-league>
Rene Ritchie, IMore

> The iPad mini, according to Cook both during the call and at Apple's iPad and Mac event previously, is 7.9-inches rather than 7-inches, and due to its 4:3 and 1024x768 pixel display, it has 35% more screen real-estate than a 7-inch, typically 16:9, tablet. Including the difference in landscape height, and depending on interface chrome, Cook said that translates into a 50-67% more space.

How long will it be before iPad mini outsells iPad classic, and we start wondering every year whether Apple will finally kill the iPad classic?

**** Fourth-quarter Revenue, Profit Up For Apple On iPhone, iPad Sales ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2013112/fourth-quarter-revenue-profit-up-for-apple-on-iphone-ipad-sales.html>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

> For the first time, the average selling price of a Mac laptop is higher than that of a desktop.

The rise of the retina Mac laptops, and the decline of the Mac Pro?

**** Why Apple Doesn’t Care About Its Competition ****
<http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2012/10/24/why-apple-doesnt-care-about-its-competition/>
Felix Salmon, Reuters

> There are three questions, then, which real people will ask about the iPad mini. Do I want it, can I afford it, and which model should I get. The answers to those questions will determine how many iPad minis Apple manages to sell. But the question which most of the press concentrates on — how does the iPad mini compare to its non-Apple competitors — is one which gets asked much less often than the Apple-as-company people tend to think.

**** A War Of Words, Focused On One ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/books/the-story-of-aint-by-david-skinner.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Janet Maslin, New York Times

> “The Story of Ain’t” explains why Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, introduced with much fanfare in 1961, was so jam-packed with fighting words. As Mr. Skinner’s title indicates, “ain’t” became its most famously egregious entry, even though it was nothing new.

**** Cuba’s New Now ****
<http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/11/new-cuba/gorney-text?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ng%2FNGM%2FNGM_Magazine+%28National+Geographic+Magazine%29>
Cynthia Gorney, National Geographic Magazine

> After half a century under Fidel, Cubans feel a wary sense of possibility. But this time, don’t expect a revolution.

**** 10,500 Commuters Affected By CCL Disruption On Thursday Night ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1233626/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

> Deputy CEO of the Land Transport Authority, Chua Chong Kheng, said up till last month, the cable was found to be in good condition when routine checks were carried out.

> He said: "We will have to do more checks and investigations to see what caused the particular fault -- why was it not picked up and things like that."

**** World’s First Commercial Vertical Farm Opens In Singapore ****
<http://io9.com/5954847/worlds-first-commercial-vertical-farm-opens-in-singapore>
George Dvorsky, Io9

> The prospect of growing crops in vertical farms directly inside of cities has been on the collective wish-list of environmentalists, sustainable developers, and futurists for quite some time now. And now it looks like it's finally starting to happen. Land-strapped Singapore has opened its first vertical farm — an innovation that will increase the variety of foods it has available and decrease its dependance on foreign imports.

We should invest more on this, instead of just moving money around.

**** Circle Line Breakdown Caused By "Electrical Earth Fault" ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1233551/1/.html>
Kimberly Spykerman, Channel NewsAsia

> SMRT said the Circle Line breakdown on Thursday evening was caused by an electrical earth fault that disrupted the power supply.

> "To speed up the change out, we are considering the possibility of closing down certain stretches during off-peak hours and running alternative services to ensure minimal disruption to commuters' journey," SMRT said.

There's a job title called "vice-president of the Circle Line"?
Also:
• <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1233603/1/.html">SMRT Circle Line train service resumes</a> (Channel NewsAsia)