[MyAppleMenu] Oct 23, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 23 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Apple To Stream Live Video Of Today’s Apple Event To Apple TV ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/10/23/apple-to-stream-live-video-of-todays-apple-event-to-apple-tv/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> If you have a recent Apple TV, check your home screen; there’s an Apple Events icon.

Apple has just a little more for your holiday purchases. Tune in to your Apple TV live at 1 pm EDT / 10 am PDT / 5 pm UTC.

**** Messages: Working With Transcripts ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2012835/messages-working-with-transcripts.html>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

> One of iChat’s nicest features was the way it allowed you to sift through the transcripts of past chats; you always had a record of the promises you made for work (or in the rest of life). Although the new Messages app in Mountain Lion doesn’t do away with transcripts, it repackages the feature in a way that many iChat veterans find obscure.

**** Samsung Says It's Still Supplying LCD Panels To Apple ****
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57537773-37/samsung-says-its-still-supplying-lcd-panels-to-apple/>
Shara Tibken, CNET

> A Samsung spokesman told CNET that the Korea Times post was 100 percent false.

**** Playing With AirPlay In Mountain Lion ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13345?rss>
Tonya Engst, TidBITS

> Keep an eye on AirPlay — I believe it’s a more important technology than might be evident at first glance.

**** BusyCal 2.0 Launches With New Interface, Mountain Lion Support ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2012792/busycal-2-0-launches-with-new-interface-mountain-lion-support.html>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

> The calendar view is now customizable, letting users view schedules according to date ranges—ranges that include a “year view” with a heat-mapping feature that allows users to see their busiest times of year at a glance. The improved “list view” can also be adjusted to use custom date ranges, and now includes a new “total duration” feature that lets professionals easily calculate their billable hours.

**** How Mail May Be Anything But IDLE When Pushing Email ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13344?rss>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

> These two systems, IDLE and push, account for the multiple notifications I simultaneously received on my iPad and on my Mac when the new message arrived in my iCloud account. But there are subtle differences in behavior between the two systems.

**** Simultaneously Working With Two Accounts On A Single Mac ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2012784/simultaneously-working-with-two-accounts-on-a-single-mac.html>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Samsung Display To Terminate Apple Deal ****
<http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2012/10/133_122835.html>
Cho Mu-hyun, Kim Yoo-chul, The Korea Times

> Samsung Display said Monday that it will terminate its contract with Apple and no longer supply liquid crystal display (LCD) panels to its long time partner.

Is it time to buy LG stock?

**** Mono 3.0 Debuts, Casting A Wider .NET ****
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/mono-3-0-debuts-casting-a-wider-net/>
Sean Gallagher, Ars Technica

> Mono 3.0 was released on GitHub on October 18. It adds support for some of the most recently added key features of the .NET platform, incorporates Microsoft's open-source framework for Web development, and beefs up the capabilities of Mono on Mac OS X and iOS. It also lays the groundwork for much more rapid development of features for the Mono platform going forward.

**** Through The Window By Julian Barnes – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/23/through-the-window-julian-barnes-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Nicholas Lezard, The Guardian

> Who doesn't love essays? Well, plenty of you, I suppose, or Vintage wouldn't have slapped this un-optimistic price on the book. But we need them, we really do: their relationship with literature is by no means parasitical.

**** Can Cities Be "Resilient" And "Sustainable" At The Same Time? ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2012/10/resiliency_vs_sustainability_can_the_megacities_of_the_future_be_both.html>
David Biello, Slate

> The urban areas of the next 100 years will have to be both. But that’s tricky.

**** Expect To Be Lied To In Japan ****
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2012/nov/08/expect-be-lied-japan/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Ian Buruma, The New York Review Of Books

> Japan is a country where the emperor is rarely seen naked.

**** "Model Student” TV: The Inter-school Debates And The Politics Of Education ****
<http://s-pores.com/2012/10/model-student-tv-the-inter-school-debates-and-the-politics-of-education-by-clarissa-oon/>
Clarissa Oon, s/pores

> Aside from looming large in the kind of squeaky-clean popular culture promoted by local TV in the 1970s and 1980s, the school debates were significant in marking the possibilities and limits of critical thinking in the education system at that time.

**** Our Dithering Politicians Should Copy Singapore And Act Now To Raise Morale ****
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/david-buik-our-dithering-politicians-should-copy-singapore-and-act-now-to-raise-morale-8222053.html>
David Buik, The Independent

> We need to take a leaf out of Singapore's book. If the Singapore government thinks it's a good idea to implement a policy, it just does it. Ask the questions later. You might say that is not democracy the way we know it. Desperate problems require desperate measures. It takes so long to implement legislation in the UK. Bureaucracy needs slashing now.

**** Singapore Bans Film, Director Vows Appeal ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/10/23/singapore-bans-film-director-vows-appeal/>
Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

> Mr. Kwek told The Wall Street Journal that he hasn’t thought of alternative distribution channels yet. One Singaporean who says he watched the film in New York started a petition to reverse the panel’s decision, and by Monday had listed nearly 1,000 signatures.

> For Mr. Kwek, the ruling stings not only for artistic reasons but also for causing a “considerable financial loss” to the film producers, though he didn’t specify how much. The film cost 100,000 Singapore dollars (US$81,800) and took him two years to make, he said. Mr. Kwek sees the film as especially pertinent to Singapore society, made to explore “different facets of life in this city, not just race,” he said in emailed comments to The Wall Street Journal.

**** Life Ambitions? Creating Space For Social Enterprise In Singapore ****
<http://socialenterprise.guardian.co.uk/social-enterprise-network/2012/oct/23/creating-space-social-enterprise-singapore>
Grace Sai, The Guardian

> After 400 coffee chats and eight months of endless hours of space-finding, fundraising and community-building, Asia's first HUB was founded in May 2012, in Singapore. I picked Singapore because of its new found hunger to be innovative and more so, to be a hub for social innovation. Also, if done well in Singapore, the region will follow.

**** Upward Pressures In Food Prices Loom Over The Next Few Months ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/upward-pressures-in-food-prices-loom-over-next-few-months>
Singapore Business Review

> Food supply shocks at this stage could fuel already elevated inflation expectations, which explaining MAS’s vigilance.

**** Singapore September Inflation Rises More Than Expected ****
<http://www.rttnews.com/1988059/singapore-september-inflation-rises-more-than-expected.aspx>
RTT News

> Annual inflation increased sharply to 4.7 percent in September from 3.9 percent in August. Economists were looking for a more modest rise to 4.3 percent.

> Food prices rose 2.1 percent annually, while housing costs climbed 6.4 percent. Clothing and footwear prices were higher by 2.4 percent compared to last year, and transportation costs by 9.6 percent, data showed.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1232972/1/.html">Singapore inflation rises to 4.7% in September</a> (Kristie Neo, Channel NewsAsia): Analysts say that while housing and transport costs remain a concern, the increasing price of services, particularly healthcare and education, should also be watched.

**** Check Out Why MAS Gripped The Exchange Rate Tighter ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/check-out-why-mas-gripped-exchange-rate-tighter>
Singapore Business Review

**** Debunking The DPM Teo's Immigration Argument. ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/10/debunking-dpm-teos-immigration-argument.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> Given that we do not need to import adults as new citizens now and worsen the problem, we have time to push our TFR up which is the only viable solution. Using our current low fertility to justify more foreign import is not incorrect, it is harmful in the long run.

**** Food Republic: An Interview ****
<http://singaporespacesglobalplaces.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/food-republic-an-interview/>
Singapore/Spaces/Global/Places

**** There's More Than Meets The Eye ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/10/theres-more-than-meets-eye.html>
Singapore Notes

> In November 2003, senior staff members of TODAY (Mr Ernest Wong, Group Chief Executive Officer of Mediacorp (publisher), Mr Mano Sabnani (Editor), Mr Rahul Pathak (Deputy Editor) and Ms Val Chua (unfortunate journalist who filed the offending report) were taken to the woodshed to face the full wrath of Lee, for their write-up “SM Lee and the eye opening trauma in London,” which was based on verbatim inputs from the official press release.

**** Singapore Seeks Answers To Rising Food Prices ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19954429>
Leisha Chi, BBC

> While Singapore may seem like an extreme example, many experts are predicting that other countries could eventually face a similar set of problems; an inability to produce the food needed to feed their growing populations, and a heavy dependence on imported goods.

**** Price Boost For 'Limited Edition' Executive Maisonettes ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/price-boost-limited-edition-executive-maisonettes-20121022>
Rachel Chang and Daryl Chin, Straits Times

> The government's reiteration that it will not build new executive maisonettes will further boost the prices of such "limited edition" units, said analysts.

**** Singapore Inflation Expectations Rise Due To Concerns Over Uncertainty In Global Recovery ****
<http://www.finchannel.com/news_flash/Banks/118157_Singapore_Inflation_Expectations_Rise_due_to_Concerns_Over_Uncertainty_in_Global_Recovery_/>
The Financial

**** Are Smaller Firms More Likely To Breach Singapore's Data Protection Bill? ****
<http://www.zdnet.com/sg/are-smaller-firms-more-likely-to-breach-singapores-data-protection-bill-7000006059/>
Bryan Tan, ZDNet

**** At Home In The Garden ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/arts/23iht-singapore23.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Sonia Kolesnikov Jessop, New York Times

**** Papers Full Of Nonsense ****
<http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/papers-full-of-nonsense/>
Molitics

> Clearly, the fact that there are debates between American presidential candidates does not mean that American politicians cannot be at other times behave more like Singaporean ones too. Neither does the politeness between politicians in the forum in Singapore mean that politicians do not sometimes (or at the same time) resort to mudslinging and unsubstantiated claims, especially when one party has every local newspaper presenting its twisted representations of reality as immutable truth.

> If Au Yong’s article is not a display of plain ignorance about the different natures of debates and forums at work, it could simply be a devious disregard of logic, semantics, and context for the sake of supporting political insipidity while demonizing other practices that could lead to a freer flow of ideas.

**** Chee Soon Juan Interview – The Man And His Beliefs – Part IV ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/10/chee-soon-juan-interview-the-man-and-his-beliefs-part-iv/>
Leo Khaw, The Online Citizen