[MyAppleMenu] Oct 21, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 21 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Xcode 4: How To Add A Delay To Auto Completion ****
<http://robertjpayne.com/post/7235967308/xcode-4-how-to-add-a-delay-to-auto-completion>
Robert Payne

**** Waze Is The Only App To Gain Meaningful Marketshare After Apple Maps Fail, Onavo Finds ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/19/waze-apple-maps-onavo/>
Kim-Mai Cutler, TechCrunch

**** A Fish Called Dinner ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/magazine/a-fish-called-dinner.html?ref=magazine&_r=0>
Sam Sifton, New York Times

> It looks almost as fine. It tastes exactly as excellent. That was the plan all along.

**** Real Inauthentic Like ****
<http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/real-inauthentic-like/>
Emily Keeler, The New Inquiry

> Novels are an especially apt medium for playing with and among time, and the impulse to use language as a relativity machine is strong in <i>NW</i>.

**** Inside The Box ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/books/review/building-stories-by-chris-ware.html?ref=books&_r=0>
Douglas Wolk, New York Times

> You will never be able to read “Building Stories” on a digital tablet, by design. It is a physical object, printed on wood pulp, darn it. It’s a big, sturdy box, containing 14 different “easily misplaced elements” — a hard-bound volume or two, pamphlets and leaflets of various dimensions, a monstrously huge tabloid à la century-old Sunday newspaper comics sections and a folded board of the sort that might once have come with a fancy game. In which order should one read them? Whatever, Ware shrugs, uncharacteristically relinquishing his customary absolute control. In the world of “Building Stories,” linearity leads only to decay and death.

**** “Essays In Biography” By Joseph Epstein ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/essays-in-biography-by-joseph-epstein/2012/10/20/8a7960c8-0e59-11e2-bd1a-b868e65d57eb_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Jonathan Yardley, Washington Post

> It does not seem to me that he is consistently at the top of his form in this collection, as some of these pieces are rather perfunctory and some are dated, but it gives pleasure all the same.

**** Changes To HDB’s Flat Strategy Will Bear Fruit? ****
<http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/changes-to-hdbs-flat-strategy-will-bear-fruit/>
Yours Truly Singapore

**** LTA To Expand Mandatory Give-Way To Buses Scheme ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1232598/1/.html>
Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

> The Land Transport Authority is gradually adding another 150 bus stops to the scheme, and will make known which stops will benefit from the programme down the road.

Based on my very limited experience, this scheme doesn't seem to work at all. Nobody gives way to buses coming out of bus bays.

**** Excavating Purvis Street ****
<http://poskod.sg/Posts/2012/10/21/Excavating-Purvis-Street?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+poskodsg+%28POSKOD.SG%29>
Poskod.sg

> A search for Hainanese roots; the mirroring of old places.

**** Cleaners’ Pay: NATO? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/10/cleaners-pay-nato/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

> Since only 61 of the 910 cleaning firms are accredited under the current, it may clearly have been a failure.

> So, will the new scheme work from the perspective of increasing cleaners' pay significantly?

> What is there to prevent a cleaning company from operating as two cleaning companies – one accredited and the other not, so as to pay lower wages to some cleaners?

The more regulations and guidelines and schemes the government set up, the more loopholes to be discovered.
If we want to raise the salary of everyone to at least a fair wage, just do it.