[MyAppleMenu] Oct 19, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 19 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Mac Gems: Tweetbot For Mac Is Exactly What You'd Expect ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2012647/mac-gems-tweetbot-for-mac-is-exactly-what-youd-expect.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> I’m thrilled that Tweetbot has made the leap to the Mac; despite a couple complaints, I think it’s just a terrific app. All of my Twitter consumption now goes through Tweetbot clients, and that suits me just fine. Tweetbot is the Twitter app I've long wanted on my Mac, and it doesn’t disappoint.

**** Ask The iTunes Guy: File Formats, File Editing, And Podcasts ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2012222/ask-the-itunes-guy-file-formats-file-editing-and-podcasts.html>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** Create A Music Video With iMovie '11 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010940/create-a-music-video-with-imovie-11.html>
Heath McKnight, Macworld

**** Good Old Games Now On Good Old OS X ****
<http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/10/good-old-games-now-on-good-old-os-x/>
Lee Hutchinson, Ars Technica

> Good Old Games is a digital video game reseller that has grown to prominence through repackaging older titles so that they run without issue on modern operating systems. Today, the company put a smile on the faces of OS X gamers by making a chunk of their retro-centric catalog playable on Macs, starting today.

**** The Single Best Way To Use A Mac To Record Skype Video Calls As A Movie ****
<http://noodlemac.com/2012/10/the-single-best-way-to-use-a-mac-to-record-skype-video-calls-as-a-movie/>
Ron McElfresh, Noodlemac

> The Call Recorder for Skype app records Skype calls, which instantly makes it valuable two ways. For family Skype calls you get a movie– a complete record of the call, including both sides of the video call. For business use, you get a movie which also acts as an audit trail of who said what and when.

**** Unlocking The Power Of Password Managers ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20121018/unlocking-the-power-of-password-managers/>
Bonnie Cha, All Things D

> This week, I took a look at three password-manager apps for consumers: LastPass, by a company of the same name; 1Password , by AgileBits; and RoboForm, by Siber Systems. Each app stores all of your various information in one central place, where it’s protected by a single master passcode. This way, you only have to remember one password, instead of dozens. And since the apps automatically fill in the data for you, they also allow you to use more complex, stronger passkeys for everything else.

**** Tweetbot For Mac Review ****
<http://www.imore.com/tweetbot-mac-review>
Leanna Lofte, IMore

> Tweetbot for Mac is the best Twitter app currently available for the Mac. If you're a big fan of Tweetbot for iPhone and iPad and also a Mac user, what are you waiting for?

Of course, the other part of the equation -- which is totally outside of what Tapbot is doing -- is whether Twitter the service itself gives you enough of a value for you to spend $20 on a third-party client.

**** Tackling Disabled Dictation In Mountain Lion ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57534948-263/tackling-disabled-dictation-in-mountain-lion/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> The inability to enable Dictation services in OS X may be from faulty Parental Controls settings.

**** Xcode And Git: Bridging The Gap ****
<http://robots.thoughtbot.com/post/33796217972/xcode-and-git-bridging-the-gap>
Giant Robots Smashing InTo Other Giant Robots

**** Apple Tries To Kill Its Own Java On Most Macs ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9232566/Apple_tries_to_kill_its_own_Java_on_most_Macs>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> Apple yesterday started scrubbing most Macs of older Java browser plug-ins, a move that will force users to download the software from Oracle. The company also patched Java for OS X, the second time Apple synchronized its Java security update with Oracle's, releasing its patches for OS X the same day as the Java software maker.

**** What’s Really Going On With Color: A Small Apple Talent Acquisition ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20121018/whats-really-going-on-with-color-a-small-apple-talent-acquisition/>
Liz Gannes And John Paczkowski, All Things D

> What’s really happening is that Color’s engineering team — about 20 people, comprising almost the entire company — is being “acqhired” by Apple at what’s being called a “nominal” price of something like $2 million to $5 million, according to multiple sources familiar with both sides of the situation.

**** Tweetbot Arrives In Mac App Store, With Higher Price Than Its Developers Prefer ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2012230/tweetbot-arrives-in-mac-app-store-with-higher-price-than-its-developers-prefer.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> The company says the app’s $20 fee comes due to Twitter’s increasing limitations on third-party apps.

**** Fairly Priced ****
<http://bitsplitting.org/2012/10/18/fairly-priced/>
Daniel Jalkut, Bitsplitting.org

> Is $20 a reasonable amount to pay for Tweetbot? I think so. But if Tapbots would have preferred to charge even less, has it been fairly priced?

**** Full-duplex Radios Could Reuse Channels, Saving Mobile Spectrum ****
<http://www.cio.com/article/718919/Full_duplex_Radios_Could_Reuse_Channels_Saving_Mobile_Spectrum>
Stephen Lawson, CIO.com

> Researchers are developing technology that would let 3G and 4G networks use the same frequency in both directions.

**** What Can You Really Know? ****
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2012/nov/08/what-can-you-really-know/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Freeman Dyson, The New York Review Of Books

> The philosophers are more interesting than the philosophy. Most of them are eccentric characters who have risen to the top of their profession. They think their deep thoughts in places of unusual beauty such as Paris and Oxford. They are heirs to an ancient tradition of academic hierarchy, in which disciples sat at the feet of sages, and sages enlightened disciples with Delphic utterances. The universities of Paris and Oxford have maintained this tradition for eight hundred years. The great world religions have maintained it even longer. Universities and religions are the most durable of human institutions.

**** A Dog-Eat-Dog World Along Biscayne Bay ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/19/books/back-to-blood-by-tom-wolfe.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Michiko Kakutani, New York Times

> In “Back to Blood,” Tom Wolfe tries to do for Miami what he did for New York in “The Bonfire of the Vanities” and Atlanta in “A Man in Full.” The result is a soapy, gripping and sometimes glib novel that’s filled with heaps of contrivance and cartoonish antics, but that also stars two characters who attest to Mr. Wolfe’s new and improved ability to conjure fully realized people.

**** Climate Change Fiction Melts Away Just When It's Needed ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/oct/18/climate-change-fiction?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Daniel Kramb, The Guardian

> It's the most urgent problem of our era, but novelists appear singularly reluctant to address it.

**** Review: 'Who Could That Be At This Hour?' Is Lemony Snicket Fun ****
<http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-lemony-snicket-20121021,0,6108653.story>
Susan Carpenter, Los Angeles Times

> As in "Unfortunate Events," there are page-long digressions detailing Italian pasta recipes and a plethora of highfalutin vocabulary words, which are always defined, often in the bicker-banter of dialogue. The black, gray and blue illustrations by celebrated cartoonist Seth only add to the throwback gumshoe vibe of this outrageous, long-overdue, middle-grade follow-up series from a truly beloved narrator.

**** More Economic Downgrades Loom For Singapore ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/more-economic-downgrades-loom-singapore>
Singapore Business Review

**** Pacnet Exits Singapore Residential Market ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/pacnet-exits-singapore-residential-market-20121018>
Irene Tham, Straits Times

> These users will have to surrender their @pacific.net.sg e-mail addresses, some of which have been in existence for 17 years.

> Pacnet will continue to forward affected customers' e-mails to their specified accounts until the end of February next year. Customers will have to go to Pacnet's website to indicate a forwarding e-mail address.

**** How The Government Uses Own Mouthpiece To Shape Own Propaganda ****
<http://thehearttruths.com/2012/10/19/how-the-government-uses-own-mouthpiece-to-shape-own-propaganda/>
The Heart Truths

**** Dr Goh’s Diamond Hard Truth Reaffirmed ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/dr-gohs-diamond-hard-truth-reaffirmed/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** Govt Can Support But Must Not End Up Doing Too Much: Minister Of State Lawrence Wong ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/govt-can-support-but-must-not-end-up-doing-too-much--minister-of-state-lawrence-wong.html>
Deborah Choo, Yahoo!

**** GIC To Stick To Long-Term Investments Amid Rising Volatility ****
<http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-17/gic-to-stick-to-long-term-investments-amid-rising-volatility>
Klaus Wille, Bloomberg

> “We need to keep the narrow path of generating long-term returns” while “managing the volatility that comes with short- term market movements,” Lim Chow Kiat, deputy chief investment officer of GIC, said at the SALT conference in Singapore.

**** 新加坡人迷信又好赌 ****
<http://www.orientaldaily.com.my/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=27871:&Itemid=197>
东方日报

> 新加坡国立大学社会学家洪瑞云指出,近年这股迷信风气因竞爭激烈的社会环境而加剧。「为了向上爬,新加坡人会做更多能让自己得到好处的事情,有时候迷信就可以让他们心理上觉得捞到好处。」

**** Jersey And Singapore Sign Tax Information Agreement ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-19989098>
BBC

> It is the fifth double taxation agreement the island has signed, the others being with Estonia, Hong Kong China, Malta and Qatar.

**** Philippines Allows Export Of Dolphins To Singapore ****
<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j-FYJjcivfdUK8QTJWjWka57oxzg?docId=CNG.6a119bbeec8558b2164e0e9605bcd163.61>
AFP

> Resorts World Sentosa put out a statement in Singapore on Wednesday saying it looked forward to the dolphins' arrival. It disputed the animal rights groups' allegations, insisting it had contravened no international treaties in acquiring the dolphins.

**** Singaporeans Work The Longest Hours Among Top Cities ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/residential-property/news/singaporeans-work-longest-hours-among-top-cities>
Singapore Business Review