[MyAppleMenu] Oct 17, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 17 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Hands On With Apple's Lightning To 30-Pin Adapters ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2012137/hands-on-with-apples-lightning-to-30-pin-adapters.html>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Eight Ways To Connect To A Server ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2012153/eight-ways-to-connect-to-a-server.html>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> When you have to copy files from one Mac to another, make big files available to others, or get files from your company’s shared volumes, you need to connect to a server. It may be a file server, a NAS (network-attached storage device), or just another Mac on your network. You probably already know a basic way to perform this everyday task, but is that method the quickest and most convenient? Here are eight ways you can connect to a server.

**** A Free Way To Get More Productive On Your Mac By Using A Focusbar ****
<http://noodlemac.com/2012/10/a-free-way-to-get-more-productive-on-your-mac-by-using-a-focusbar/>
Ron McElfresh, Noodlemac

> What you get onscreen is a pop up window– the focus bar– which reminds you of the important task you should be working on instead of browsing Facebook.

**** RSS.app ****
<http://www.macstories.net/links/rss-app/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> RSS.app sits in the menubar, and checks for updates to your feeds every few minutes or hours. It then displays new article alerts using Notification Center.

**** Review: Apple Mail 6 Features Better Search, VIP Email Treatment ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2011636/review-apple-mail-6-features-better-search-vip-email-treatment.html>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

> Mail remains as stable and sturdy an email client as ever, striking a pleasant balance between super-simple webmail front ends and professional-grade behemoths like Outlook. The new features alone in Mail 6 hardly justify an upgrade, but as part of the whole Mountain Lion package, they fit in well.

**** How To: Create A Mac Keyboard Shortcut To Open Any App ****
<http://fairerplatform.com/2012/10/how-to-create-a-mac-keyboard-shortcut-to-open-any-app/>
FairerPlatform

**** The Creeping Bloat Of iOS Apps ****
<http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-features/66880-the-creeping-bloat-of-ios-apps>
Trent Nouveau, TG Daily

> The iPad 3's Retina display along with Apple's more liberal submission policy have prompted the file sizes of popular iOS apps to grow substantially - especially for games.

**** AirPlay On The Mac: The Definitive Guide ****
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/os-x/airplay-on-the-mac-the-definitive-guide/>
Scot Danielson, Mactuts+

> AirPlay is the technology used to stream media content from various Apple devices to other devices in your house, like your television or stereo system. AirPlay in general, and specifically for the Mac, has gotten a lot of extra attention lately, so this tutorial will show you the ins and outs of playing your media precisely where you want to, using AirPlay.

**** Apple Has 'A Little More To Show' At Oct. 23 Media Event ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2012125/apple-has-a-little-more-to-show-at-oct-23-media-event.html>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> The calendar may be running out, but Apple’s going to get in some more product announcements before the end of the year. On Tuesday, the company announced that it would be holding a media event in San Jose’s California Theatre next Tuesday, October 23 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific.

**** Review: Adobe Acrobat XI Pro Advances The Paperless Office Concept, But Also Highlights Obstacles ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2011714/review-adobe-acrobat-xi-pro-advances-the-paperless-office-concept-but-also-highlights-obstacles.html>
Alan Stafford, Macworld

> Taken together, Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, EchoSign, and FormsCentral have impressive capabilities, but the links for EchoSign and FormsCentral are just that—links; that is the extent of their integration into Acrobat XI Pro. They are separate components with minimal integration, and I suspect that having to deal with three different components will make the paperless office concept look good only on...paper.

**** Circa Makes Digesting The Day's Top News A Little Bit Easier ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/10/quickadvice-circa>
Christine Chan, AppAdvice

> I’m loving everything about how the app looks. A well-designed app really makes all the difference when it comes to a great news reading experience.

**** Email From Phil Schiller Explains Lack Of Ambient Light Sensor In 5Th Gen iPod Touch ****
<http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/10/16/purported-email-from-phil-schiller-explains-lack-of-ambient-light-sensor-in-5th-gen-ipod-touch/>
Jeff Benjamin, IDownloadBlog

> "It's just too thin!"

**** Http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3511788/apple-lightning-connector-security-chip ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3511788/apple-lightning-connector-security-chip>
Chris Welch, The Verge

> Advanced imaging of the chip in question revealed circuitry Chipworks says is "consistent with a serial communication chip including some simple security features."

**** An Operating System For The Cyber War Era ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429641/an-operating-system-for-the-cyber-war-era/?ref=rss>
Tom Simonite, Technology Review

**** Google's Bid To Fix Javascript, Dart, Is Ready For The Real World ****
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/googles-bid-to-fix-javascript-dart-is-ready-for-the-real-world/>
Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica

**** At A Loss For Words, And Wife ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/17/books/too-good-to-be-true-a-memoir-by-benjamin-anastas.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

> Mr. Anastas’s memoir is about having and losing it all, in both literature and life, and it is so plaintive and raw that most writers (and many readers) will finish it with heart palpitations.

**** Safer, Well-lit Bus Stops And Overhead Bridges ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121017-0000159/Safer,-well-lit-bus-stops-and-overhead-bridges>
Sumita Sreedharan, Today

> Works are underway to ensure that physical infrastructure, such as bus stops and pedestrian overhead bridges, keep pace with the improvements made to the public transport network here.

**** Ken Kwek: I Did Not Make An Offensive Film ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/ken-kwek-i-did-not-make-offensive-film-updated>
Straits Times

> “I must assert very firmly that I did not make a film that is in any way demeaning or offensive to any ethnic community. In fact, far from condoning racism, the film attacked racism...using the tools of satire and parody,” he said.

> The makers of the film said they are lodging an appeal with the Media Development Authority to try and get the "Not Allowed For All Rating" relaxed.

**** Is There Room For Void Decks? ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/views/there-room-void-decks>
Andrea Ong, Straits Times

> They may be “void” space but they are definitely not void of meaning.

**** QC Court Refuses To Extend 72-Hour Order Stopping Dolphins’ Re-export To Singapore ****
<http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/290928/qc-court-refuses-to-extend-72-hour-order-stopping-dolphins-re-export-to-singapore>
Jeannette I. Andrade, Philippine Daily Inquirer

> In denying the motion for a TEPO extension, Marigomen said, “The Court is constrained to deny the application for a TEPO to enjoin the public respondents from issuing the exportation permit of dolphins, as the petitioners have not proved any violation of law committed by the concerned government agencies.”

**** Transparency For Foreign Scholarships ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/10/transparency-for-foreign-scholarships/>
Ghui, The Online Citizen

**** Only Politics And Religion, Mr Teo Chee Hean? ****
<http://asingaporeanson.blogspot.sg/2012/10/only-politics-and-religion-mr-teo-chee.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ASingaporeanInAustralia+(A+Singaporean+In+Australia)>
A Singaporean In Austrlia

> Do you know what else in Singapore that politics and religion must be kept strictly separated?

**** Public Servants Are Citizens Too ****
<http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/public-servants-are-citizens-too/>
Yours Truly Singapore

**** Hospital Bill: 42 Years Instalment Plan! ****
<http://leongszehian.com/?p=1956>
Leong Sze Hian

> This case may highlight the issue of the affordability of healthcare in Singapore.

**** Watch R21 Rated Shows On TV From Oct 18 ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/watch-r21-rated-shows-tv-oct-18-20121017>
Boon Chan, Straits Times

> The Media Development Authority (MDA) has given the green light for StarHub and SingTel to offer R21 content on their video-on-demand platforms.

How about iTunes? How about DVDs?

**** Singapore Looks At Ways To Fight Rising Food Prices ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19957677>
Mariko Oi, BBC

**** Lee Hsien Loong In The Herald ****
<http://wellygnome.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/lee-hsien-loong-in-the-herald/>
Welly Gnome

> I still don’t know when I’ll be able to leave New Zealand, but I think Singapore offers far more opportunity for entrepreneurial Kiwis than Australia or the United Kingdom.

**** Foundation Laid, Now For More Progress ****
<http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10840122>
Lee Hsien Loong, The New Zealand Herald

**** More Comprehensive Site Surveys Before Construction Of MRT Lines ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121017-0000042/More-comprehensive-site-surveys-before-construction-of-MRT-lines>
Sumita Sreedharan, Today

**** No Plans To Criminalise Borrowing, Says MHA ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121017-0000025/No-plans-to-criminalise-borrowing,-says-MHA>
Amanda Lee, Today

> There are "not plans, at this juncture, to criminalise borrowing", he said, because borrowers' circumstances varied, thus making it difficult to use a common approach to all.

**** Handling It With Military Precision ****
<http://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/1059881/handling-it-military-precision>
Peggy Site, South China Morning Post