[MyAppleMenu] Oct 14, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 14 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Making Room In Your Piece Of The Cloud ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/technology/personaltech/make-better-use-of-backup-in-apples-icloud-tool-kit.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Roy Furchgott, New York Times

> You can put your data on a diet, without risk of losing anything important. The trick is to be more selective in what you save.

**** Sync Mail, Calendars, & Notes From Mac OS X To Android Phones & Tablets ****
<http://osxdaily.com/2012/10/13/sync-mail-calendars-notes-from-mac-os-x-to-android-phones-tablets/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29>
OS X Daily

> Macs can sync Mail, Calendars, and even Notes with Android phones and tablets with virtually the same seamless nature as Macs sync through iCloud with other Apple devices like the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. The only requirement to sync a Mac with an Android device is that you have a Gmail (Google) account, which if you’re using Android you almost certainly do.

**** Designing For iOS: Taming UIButton ****
<http://robots.thoughtbot.com/post/33427366406/designing-for-ios-taming-uibutton>
Giant Robots Smashing InTo Other Giant Robots

**** How To Beat Information Overload: Add Reeder To Your Mac Or iPhone ****
<http://teratalks.com/2012/10/how-to-beat-information-overload-add-reeder-to-your-mac-iphone-or-ipad/>
Tera Thomas O'Brien, Tera Talks

**** Cream: OS X RSS Reader With Instapaper, Pocket & Readability Support ****
<http://www.addictivetips.com/mac-os/cream-os-x-rss-reader-with-instapaper-pocket-readability-support/>
Fatima, AddictiveTips

**** Managing The Dock From The Command Line ****
<http://www.amsys.co.uk/2012/blog/managing-dock-from-the-command-line/#.UHn_1bTXdSA>
Darren Wallace, Amsys

**** Review: Apple Lightning To 30 Pin Adapter ****
<http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/10/12/review-apple-lightning-to-30-pin-adapter/>
Warner Crocker, Gotta Be Mobile

**** Unsolved Mysteries ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/books/review/all-the-wrong-questions-a-lemony-snicket-series.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Christohper Healy, New York Times

> ‘Who Could That Be at This Hour?’ ” is the first chapter of “All the Wrong Questions,” a new mock-autobiographical series that recounts the almost 13-year-old Lemony’s apprenticeship with an enigmatic secret society — a prequel to “Unfortunate Events.” And while that first series worked as both a tribute to and parody of Gothic literature, this new one does the same for noir detective fiction.

**** The Unquiet Mind Of Hilary Mantel ****
<http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/culture/2012/10/unquiet-mind-hilary-mantel>
Sophie Elmhirst, New Statesman

> The desk at which Hilary Mantel writes is pushed up against a window with a view out to sea. The sea isn’t in the distance, spotted between hills. It’s there, almost at her doorstep, the shingle beach just across the road. To write, she sits at her computer facing the large window and the sea can fill her vision. It’s the kind of view that swallows time. There is no sign of human life; nothing except waves and clouds. On her computer desktop, Mantel has put an image: a photograph of the view from her window. “It reminds me to actually look up from the screen,” she says.

**** Patrick Leigh Fermor: An Adventure By Artemis Cooper – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/12/patrick-leigh-fermor-artemis-cooper-review>
Robert Macfarlane, The Guardian

> Perhaps the most remarkable thing about Patrick Leigh Fermor's legendary life is that it lasted as long as it did. He died in 2011 at the age of 96, having survived enough assaults on his existence to make Rasputin seem like a quitter. He was car-bombed by communists in Greece, knifed in Bulgaria, and pursued by thousands of Wehrmacht troops across Crete after kidnapping the commander of German forces on the island. Malaria, cancer and traffic accidents failed to claim him.

**** Twitter Fiction: 21 Authors Try Their Hand At 140-Character Novels ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/12/twitter-fiction-140-character-novels?CMP=twt_gu>
The Guardian

**** S'pore Conversation Not Meant To Be Extended Meet-the-People Session: Grace Fu ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1231284/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> "I believe once Singaporeans have participated in it multiple times, they would understand its aim better and set their sights further to talk about what they hope for Singapore to become 20 years from now."

**** Singapore Workers Have Highest Burnout Rate In Region ****
<http://news.asiaone.com/A1Business/General%2BNews/Story/A1Story20121012-377322.html>
Straits Times

> Singapore workers are also seeing the highest levels of employee burnout in the region, with nearly a third, or 32.6 per cent, of employers here reported an increase in staff burnout.

> Local employees are also having rising workload, the highest figure in all Asia-Pacific markets studied, said Hudson.

**** A Space For Conversation ****
<http://poskod.sg/Posts/2012/10/14/A-Space-for-Conversation?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+poskodsg+%28POSKOD.SG%29>
Poskod.sg

> Bukit Brown & Kuo Pao Kun's The Coffin is Too Big for the Hole.

**** 50,000 Singaporeans Living In Australia ****
<http://everythingalsocomplain.com/2012/10/14/50000-singaporeans-living-in-australia/>
Everything Also Complain

> Nonetheless, something’s not right if our people constantly harbour thoughts of getting out of here, or put thoughts into action despite the risks of failure or ‘second-class’ citizenship overseas.

**** Capitalism ****
<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/10/08/capitalism>
Slavoj Zizek, Foreign Policy

> Could we in fact be seeing the conditions for the further radicalization of capitalism? German philosopher Peter Sloterdijk once told me that, if there is a person alive to whom they will build monuments 100 years from now, it is Lee Kuan Yew, the Singaporean leader who did more than anyone else to promote and implement the marriage of capitalism and authoritarianism -- an arrangement he euphemistically referred to as "Asian values." The virus of this authoritarian capitalism is slowly but surely spreading around the globe, nowhere more so than China.

**** A Typical Saturday ****
<http://blurting.blogspot.sg/2012/10/a-typical-saturday.html>
The Day Flew By So Fast It Was A Blur

> Today, we took the bumboat to our favourite haunt, Pulau Ubin. The island was surprisingly quiet with just a handful of cyclists. I think it has something to do with the school examinations. Well, we like it this way.

**** Population Ponzi ****
<http://asingaporeanson.blogspot.sg/2012/10/population-ponzi.html>
A Singaporean In Austrlia

> We have to look closely at the idea Teo Chee Hean termed 'looking after'. What does the government meant exactly when they need a bigger, newer population to sustain the current? Does it sounds suspiciously like a Ponzi scheme here? Is there something in the financial dynamics of Singapore that is failing behind that scenes but remains unannounced to the public? Why are we focusing on demography pyramid rather than working on empowering each citizen to be financially sustainable until death instead of focusing on quick-fix fallacies?

**** Going Far, Without Regrets ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/jobs/jue-wong-of-strivectin-on-a-global-career.html>
JuE Wong, New York Times

> To me, regrets are not about failures; they’re about things you wanted to try and didn’t. Because I never felt guilty about my choices and my husband was behind me, I was able to do my best.

**** QC Court Stops Shipment Of Dolphins To Singapore ****
<http://globalnation.inquirer.net/52708/qc-court-stops-shipment-of-dolphins-to-singapore>
Julie M. Aurelio, Inquirer Global Nation

> A Quezon City court on Friday barred the Department of Agriculture (DA) and the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) from reexporting to Singapore 25 captive dolphins held at Ocean Adventure Park in Subic, Zambales.

> “After a thorough review of the allegations in support of the prayer for the issuance of a Tepo, this court finds that there exists extreme urgency and that the subject 25 captive dolphins and the petitioners will suffer grave injustice and irreparable injury should the reexporting of the captive dolphins and the importing of additional dolphins into the country be undertaken at this time,” the two-page order read.

**** Hard Truths Or Plain Racism?The Government’s Hypocritical Outrage Over Amy Cheong ****
<http://sonofadud.com/2012/10/13/hard-truths-or-plain-racismthe-governments-hypocritical-outrage-over-amy-cheong/>
Kenneth Jeyaretnam, Rethinking The Rice Bowl

> While we can all condemn Amy Cheong for the unthinking racism of her remarks, we should wonder whether they just reflect the tone of institutional racism that is projected from the very top of the government.

**** Thoughts From A Foreigner. ****
<http://spuddings.net/2012/10/13/thoughts-from-a-foreigner/>
Kristen Han, #spuddings

> Standing on the other side of the local/foreigner divide, it becomes extremely clear. People are people, and no one should be expected to change until he/she decides to.

**** Security Panic And The Intoxication Of Power ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/security-panic-and-the-intoxication-of-power/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

**** Cycling In Singapore ****
<http://kongchu-thoughts.blogspot.sg/2012/10/cycling-in-singapore.html>
Pop Thoughts

**** Singapore Forgoes Currency Stimulus On Inflation Risk: Economy ****
<http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-11/singapore-s-gdp-contracts-central-bank-maintains-policy-stance>
Shamim Adam And Kristine Aquino, Bloomberg

> Singapore unexpectedly refrained from monetary stimulus, spurring gains in the region’s best- performing currency as inflation risks trump worries over a shrinking economy.

> “The monetary authority is in a policy quagmire where it has sticky inflation on one hand and on the other, it is dealing with unknown but downside risks from the external economy,” said Vishnu Varathan, a Singapore-based economist at Mizuho Corporate Bank Ltd. “It’s judging that it’s too premature to send out dovish signals. Growth will remain sub-par and bumpy, with many blind corners.”

**** Singapore Detains Suspected Militants ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444799904578052054207677748.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Chun Han Wong, Wall Street Journal