[MyAppleMenu] Oct 11, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 11 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** RockMelt For iPad: A Browser Built For Touch That Turns The Web Into A Feed So Content Comes To You ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/10/rockmelt-for-ipad-a-browser-built-for-touch-that-turns-the-web-into-a-feed-so-content-comes-to-you/>
Josh Constine, TechCrunch

**** Apple iPod Nano Review (2012) ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/10/3481926/apple-ipod-nano-review-2012>
Nilay Patel, The Verge

> There might be some people for whom spending $149 on a 16GB iPod nano makes a lot of sense. If you’re a runner with a very specific set of playlists, or if you just need the cheapest way to play your existing iTunes library, the nano will be just fine. But most people will be much better served spending an extra $50 on the $199 16GB iPod touch, downloading Spotify, and leaving iTunes — and <i>files</i> — behind.

**** 30-Pin To Lightning Adapter: Early Users Test Compatibility ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/10/30-pin-to-lightning-adapter-early-users-test-compatibility/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

**** Microsoft Terms Talk Of Office On iPad 'Inaccurate' ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9232260/Microsoft_terms_talk_of_Office_on_iPad_inaccurate_>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> Microsoft today disavowed comments made by its Czech subsidiary that the company will roll out iOS and Android apps of its Office suite early next year.

Remember, Microsoft new rules: don't talk about it until you have a non-working demo to show.

**** Coding Passbook: Lessons Learned ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://www.billguard.com/blog/2012/10/coding-passbook-lessons-learned/>
BillGuard

> For the sake of those of you that decided to join in on the Passbook party and create your own passes we present here some of the pitfalls we ran into. As with every new and fangled thing, Passbook is still rough around the edges and surely you’d rather work on actual features and reduce the time spent on just getting the damn thing to work, right?

**** How To Lock Your Screen In OS X ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57529570-263/how-to-lock-your-screen-in-os-x/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If you need to lock your system when briefly stepping away, there are other options you can use, which involve the use of Apple's screen lock feature that simply requires your password after a period of time once the system has gone into sleep, the screen has slept, or the screensaver has been enabled.

Personally, I use a hot-corner to activate my Mac's screensaver. I have also used FastScript to set a hot key to launch an AppleScript that launches the screensaver, but I stopped doing that when I ran out of hot keys.

**** Behind The App: MoneyWiz ****
<http://www.macstories.net/mac/behind-the-app-moneywiz/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

**** Groupon Launches iPad-based Restaurant Point-of-sale System ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/10/groupon-launches-ipad-based-restaurant-point-of-sale-system/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** Mac Classics: Why BBEdit Rules ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2011461/mac-classics-why-bbedit-rules.html>
Andy Ihnatko, Macworld

> BBedit stays out of my way by relying on the one truly foolproof file format: plain text.

> “BBEdit’s still important because at its essential core, it’s a tool for working with text,” says Rich Siegel, Bare Bones Software’s founder and CEO. “Not text for presentation, as in a word processor or page-layout application, but rather text as data supplied to other software: code for compilers and interpreters, markup and Web applications for Web browsers, log files and data tables for analysis, and for any tool that inhales raw text and turns it into something else.”

I will never get this wish, but I do wish I can also have BBEdit on Windows.

**** MyTaxi Rides Into U.S. Market With A Trick Up Its Sleeve ****
<http://gigaom.com/europe/mytaxi-rides-into-u-s-market-with-a-trick-up-its-sleeve/>
David Meyer, GigaOM

> Taxi-hailing apps are already starting to crowd the U.S. market, but the German myTaxi may just have an edge. It already has 2.3 million users, for one thing, but it also has a clever plan in mind.

**** Half Of The Facts You Know Are Probably Wrong ****
<http://reason.com/archives/2012/10/02/half-of-the-facts-you-know-are-probably>
Ronald Bailey, Reason

> Since scientific knowledge is still growing by a factor of ten every 50 years, it should not be surprising that lots of facts people learned in school and universities have been overturned and are now out of date. But at what rate do former facts disappear?

**** Dangerous Intersection ****
<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/08/dangerous-intersection/>
Steven Strogatz, New York Times

> The ancient proverb about the straw that broke the camel’s back is meant as a lesson about the nature of precipitous change. It reminds us that big changes don’t necessarily require big forces. If the conditions are just right (or wrong), a tap can push a system over the brink.

**** Singaporeans Show Their Unhappiness With Immigration Policies Publicly At Teo Chee Hean ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/singaporeans-show-their-unhappiness-with-immigration-policies-publicly-at-teo-chee-hean/>
The Temasek Times

**** Reflections On A Retrenchment Exercise ****
<http://flaneurose.blogspot.sg/2012/10/reflections-on-retrenchment-exercise.html>
Flâneurose

> We already know the lack of substantial safety nets in this country for the unemployed and how it affects families and individuals. But in a country with admirably low unemployment but terrible work-life balance, the impact of any economic crisis could be especially debilitating on the nation’s collective mental health.

**** M Ravi's Medical Report Certifies Him Fit To Practise ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1230731/1/.html>
Claire Huang, Channel NewsAsia

> Speaking to the media after a closed-door session on Thursday morning, Mr Ravi's lawyer, Louis Joseph, said his client's psychiatrist Dr Munidasa Winslow has certified him fit to practise.

**** Two Senior JI Members Detained Under ISA ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1230800/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said on Thursday that it issued Orders of Detention (ODs) against Abd Rahim Abdul Rahman in March this year and Husaini Ismail in June this year.

**** What Use For Opposition Unity When Coalition Politics Beckon? ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/what-use-for-opposition-unity-when-coalition-politics-beckon/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> Opposition parties will serve Singaporeans better by articulating clearly where they stand and what alternative policies they propose. That way we can have a genuine debate about what we ought to collectively do, rather than let politics remain hostage to our emotions about the PAP.

**** HDB And GIRO Deductions ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/10/hdb-and-giro-deductions/>
Zephyr Mansor, The Online Citizen

**** Who Shall Decide How Many People In The Island? ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2012/10/who-shall-decide-how-many-people-in.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+MySingaporeNews+(My+Singapore+News)>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> When the people elected a govt, does it mean that it also gives up its right to decide on the issue of the size of the population?

**** Singapore Swingers Use Secrecy To Have Parties ****
<http://www.bikyamasr.com/79689/singapore-swingers-use-secrecy-to-have-parties/>
Mariam Yuan, Bikya Masr

**** Singapore Welcomes Two Chinese Banks, Showing Its Yuan Ambitions ****
<http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2012/10/10/singapore-welcomes-two-chinese-banks-showing-its-yuan-ambitions/>
Dow Jones

> Singapore is positioning itself as an alternative to Hong Kong in the fast-growing offshore yuan market. China has encouraged would-be offshore players like Singapore, London and Taipei to develop yuan business, which would fit neatly with its goal of increasing the yuan's stature and broadening its use in cross-border trade and investment.

**** 反思新加坡的学前教育 ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/interactive/2012/10/121010_singapore_early_education.shtml>
黎宁, BBC

**** Are iPhone 5 LTE Speeds Slower In Singapore? ****
<http://asia.cnet.com/are-iphone-5-lte-speeds-slower-in-singapore-62219017.htm>
Aloysius Low, CNET Asia

> The only time the iPhone 5's single-band support is disadvantaged is when you are in an area where the coverage is spotty--SingTel's 4G coverage is not yet nationwide.

Looks like iPhone 5 users are not shortchanged in Singapore.

**** TOC’s Response To MOM Statement On Panasonic Singapore Foreign Workers ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/10/tocs-response-to-mom-statement-on-panasonic-singapore-foreign-workers/>
The Online Citizen

> It is unfortunate that MOM has chosen take aim at the messenger instead of dealing with the issue.

> In addition, MOM seems to imply that the workers and/or TOC have withheld this document from MOM despite the fact that this document supports the claim of overcharging. MOM should more appropriately query if the EA should have disclosed this document to MOM.

**** Film Ban Throws S’pore ‘Another 10 Years Behind’: Adrian Pang ****
<http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/news/film-ban-throws-s’pore-‘another-10-years-behind’--adrian-pang.html>
Deborah Choo, Yahoo!

> “It’s a real shame something like that which is a worthy piece of entertainment that was put together with a lot of care [and] made in Singapore cannot be shown in Singapore. I mean, hell, it has won an award in New York for goodness sake!” Pang told <i>Yahoo! Singapore</i> in a phone interview.

> “It really highlights the sorry state of our TV and film production in Singapore. Already, we’re 20 years behind. This has thrown us another 10 years behind so we’re now 30 years behind. Well done!” he exclaimed.

**** Singapore’s Three Rs: Racing, Risk-Taking And Rock ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/10/10/singapores-three-rs-racing-risk-taking-and-rock/>
Jeff Yang, Wall Street Journal