[MyAppleMenu] Nov 29, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Nov 29 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** Apple's Rapid Expansion Moves Tech Behemoth To Third City ****
<http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_22084599>
George Avalos, Oakland Tribune

> Cupertino-based Apple has struck a deal with developer Peery Arrillaga for a custom-tailored two-building campus that is under construction on the north side of Stevens Creek Boulevard in Santa Clara a short distance from the Cupertino city limits.

**** Apple's iPhone 5 Cleared For Sale In China ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9234117/Apple_39_s_iPhone_5_cleared_for_sale_in_China>
Michael Kan, IDG News Service

**** When Password Security Questions Aren't Secure ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2016925/when-password-security-questions-arent-secure.html>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

> Password-reset messages and verification questions come with their own problems and risks. You can reduce your chances of being hacked—or being unable to respond correctly to one of these questions—by following a few simple tips.

**** Fantastical For iPhone Review ****
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/fantastical-for-iphone-review/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Fantastical for iPhone is the same app you know and love, but it’s also different. And yet, I’d argue, with its differences and obvious limitations, Fantastical for iPhone is also more pleasant to use than the Mac version.

**** 500Px For iPhone And iPad Review ****
<http://www.imore.com/500px-iphone-and-ipad-review>
Leanna Lofte, IMore

> 500px is a premium photo sharing platform for professional and aspiring photographers for the web and iPad that has now made its debut to the iPhone, and the iPad version got a nice upgrade as well. It's beautiful. 500px for iPhone and iPad lets you scroll through your friends' activity in Flow, discover gorgeous photography in Popular, browse through photographers' profiles, and more.

**** Apple Branches Out With New Campus In Santa Clara ****
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57556096-37/apple-branches-out-with-new-campus-in-santa-clara/>
Dara Kerr, CNET

**** Photoshop Touch Adds Pressure-sensitive Stylus Support, iPad Mini Optimization ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/28/photoshop-touch-adds-pressure-sensitive-stylus-support-ipad-min/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

**** Eddy Cue: Apple's Rising Mr. Fix-It ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324784404578145810125064612.html?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Jessica E. Lessin, Wall Street Journal

> The ascent solidifies Mr. Cue's role as one of the chief deputies to Mr. Cook, who has surrounded himself with several close advisers without elevating one to a clear number two. Mr. Cue has the loyalty and admiration of many longtime employees, who respect that he was with Apple during the dark days before Mr. Jobs began his turnaround of the company in the late 1990s.

> Mr. Cue is also a champion of the Apple way: Entering new areas patiently and slowly and preaching the need to put the customer first. To negotiating partners, he epitomizes the company's penchant for secrecy with a poker face that media companies scramble to decipher.

**** Chrome For iOS Updated, Adds Passbook Support ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/11/28/chrome-for-ios-updated-adds-passbook-support/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

**** Setting Up Mountain Lion: 12 Geek Setup Tips ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/28/setting-up-mountain-lion-12-geek-setup-tips/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

> What follows is a dozen setup tasks that I picked out from my normal techniques, which I thought might be useful to others. Here are some of the things I do to my new systems, to make them shinier and happier and ready to use.

**** How Do You Unclutter The Clutter On Your Mac’s Desktop? Unclutter Unclutters ****
<http://teratalks.com/2012/11/how-do-you-unclutter-the-clutter-on-your-macs-desktop-unclutter-unclutters/>
Tera Thomas O'Brien, Tera Talks

**** Hands On With Tokens For Mac ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/28/hands-on-with-tokens-for-mac/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

> This app simplifies the process of managing promo codes. With it, you can generate trackable codes that ping you back when they're redeemed.

**** Three Ideas For Apple Designers ****
<http://www.minyanville.com/sectors/technology/articles/aapl-apple-design-imacs-Apple-products/11/28/2012/id/46181>
Jonah Loeb, Minyanville

> Apple should be careful that in the pursuit of that perfection, it does not remove the things about its products that caused many to fall in love with them in the first place.

**** Your App Needs To Sync ****
<http://informalprotocol.com/2012/11/your-app-needs-to-sync/>
Informal Protocol

> But whatever you decide, you need sync in your app. And you need to think about it at the beginning, not at the end.

**** Rdio Killed iTunes ****
<http://shawnblanc.net/2012/11/rdio-killed-itunes/>
Shawn Blanc

> What I love about Rdio isn’t just the massive music catalog that I have total access to, it’s also that my entire music collection is always available on my iPhone or iPad or Mac. The latter is something which iTunes Match could take care of, but then I’d lose access to the massive catalog of music Rdio gives me access to.

**** Google Drive For iPhone And iPad Updated With Spreadsheet Editing ****
<http://www.imore.com/google-drive-iphone-and-ipad-updated-spreadsheet-editing>
Leanna Lofte, IMore

**** Tired Of Missing Calls On Your iPhone? Turn On LED Notifications Instead Of Vibrate ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/11/28/tired-of-missing-call-on-your-iphone-turn-on-led-notifications-instead-of-vibrate/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

**** How To Set Reminders And Update Task And To-do Lists With Siri ****
<http://www.imore.com/how-set-reminders-and-update-task-and-do-lists-siri>
Allyson Kazmucha, IMore

> If you need to be prodded to pick up milk on the way home, order that present in time for the big party, or set up that lunch meeting before the end of the day, Siri's there to help.

**** Come Fly With Me: More Airlines Supporting Apple's Passbook ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/28/come-fly-with-me-more-airlines-supporting-apples-passbook/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** How To Split Up A Fusion Drive ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2015664/how-to-split-up-a-fusion-drive.html>
Albert Filice, Macworld

> You may want to separate a Fusion Drive, either to gain a greater level of control or to simply swap out one of the drives. Whatever your reasons are, separating a Fusion Drive is a fairly simple process.

**** The Myth Of American Meritocracy ****
<http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-myth-of-american-meritocracy/>
Ron Unz, The American Conservative

> But should we really be so surprised at this behavior among the students at America’s most prestigious academic institution?

**** The Worst ****
<http://www.thoughtcrime.org/blog/the-worst/>
Moxie Marlinspike