[MyAppleMenu] Nov 22, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Nov 22 18:59:01 EST 2012

**** Unlearn Spellings On OS X ****
<http://www.amsys.co.uk/2012/blog/unlearn-spellings-on-os/#.UK4dEqXXdAA>
Richard Mallion, Amsys

**** Apple: We’re Designing Campus 2 The Same Way We’d Design An iPhone ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20121121/no-close-encounters-with-apple-spaceship-until-2016/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> Apple suggested the delay is the result of the company bringing its product design ethos to bear on the project.

**** Apple Airs Two New iPhone Ads ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/21/apple-airs-two-new-iphone-ads/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> "Turkey" has a Thanksgiving theme that shows off Photo Stream and how you can use it to share your holiday photos.

**** WordPress As An Alternative To iWeb ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13404?rss>
Steve McCabe, TidBITS

> I have found that WordPress, although approaching the challenge from a different angle, is to a large extent equal to the task, and offers a number of advantages to boot.

**** One Mac, Two Versions Of OS X ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2014336/one-mac-two-versions-of-os-x.html>

**** Why I Have Given Up On Coding Standards ****
<http://www.richardrodger.com/2012/11/03/why-i-have-given-up-on-coding-standards/#.UK1uWaXXdAB>
Richard Rodger

**** The Hunger Angel By Herta Müller – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/nov/21/hunger-angel-herta-muller-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Helen Dunmore, The Guardian

> This is a remarkable novel, both bleak and chastening. Leo may be at home again, but within him the camp "stretches on and on, bigger and bigger, from my left temple to my right".

**** What The World Can Learn From Singapore’s Safe And Squeaky-clean High-rise Housing Projects ****
<http://qz.com/30159/what-the-world-can-learn-from-singapores-safe-and-squeaky-clean-high-rise-housing-projects/>
Naomi Rovnick, Quartz

> Despite its problems, the Singapore housing model is one world governments can learn from.

**** Lawyer M Ravi Allowed By Court To Continue Law Practise ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1238889/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Dr Winslow said that M Ravi was fit to practise as long as the lawyer took his medication on a more strictly supervised basis.

**** What’s Wrong With Our Employment Practices Today? ****
<http://leongszehian.com/?p=2074>
Leong Sze Hian

**** Singapore Defends Stance On Drugs ****
<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hCw-b5vpZdQlw6jIvyJp7VIdRXzA?docId=CNG.6611fb1b0c38c4c3fd36e91b1738c55e.361>
AFP

> Singapore on Wednesday hit back at critics of its limited easing of the death penalty for drug trafficking, saying some rights campaigners give more importance to prisoners than their victims.

> "Unfortunately, there has been little emphasis on the fact that thousands of lives are destroyed as a result of the drug problem," the Ministry of Law said in a statement sent to AFP.

**** What Singapore's Leaders May Not Know ****
<http://businessjournal.gallup.com/content/158762/singapore-leaders-may-not-know.aspx?utm_source=WWW&utm_medium=csm&utm_campaign=syndication>
Gallup Business Journal

> The implications for an emotionless society are significant. Wellbeing and daily emotion correlate with some of the most important societal outcomes, such as community attachment and brain gain (acquiring and retaining top talent). To continue to be competitive in today's world, Singapore must begin focusing on behavioral-based indicators that move beyond GDP.

> The bottom line is that Singaporeans are productive, highly disciplined citizens who are not enjoying their lives much. This culture has won historically, but it will not move to the next level until its leadership takes wellbeing seriously.

**** Gambling With Our Future ****
<http://hri-kumar.blogspot.sg/2012/11/gambling-with-our-future.html>
Hri Kumar

> I am not championing gambling - far from it. As I say above, it is an irrational, unproductive activity. And it is particularly objectionable as it exploits human weakness to make money for its promoters. But I think that it is also important for Government to be consistent, and have a clear and rational position on all such activities. The question is what the role of the Government should be in regulating gambling and other vices? If you want a ban on gambling, you must also accept that the Government can and should ban smoking, alcohol, prostitution, and all other activities it considers harmful to society. But this is the “Nanny State” we do not want. In any event, you will find it difficult to get consensus on what is harmful and what is not.

**** Singapore Opposition Leader Has Bankruptcy Annulled In Possible Government Election Strategy ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/spore-opposition-leader-chee-freed-from-bankruptcy-in-possible-government-election-strategy/2012/11/21/b66fbd74-33b3-11e2-92f0-496af208bf23_story.html>
Associated Press

> Prominent Singapore opposition leader Chee Soon Juan has had his bankruptcy annulled, the government said Wednesday, after an unprecedented concession by two former prime ministers to whom he owed about $408,000.

**** For SAF, Safety, Accountability Are Important ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC121122-0000052/For-SAF,-safety,-accountability-are-important>
Kenneth Liow, Ministry of Defence, Today

> To build a strong safety culture, soldiers are encouraged to report near-misses, unsafe practices or safety breaches. Soldiers may report to their commanders, through the 24-hour safety hotline or through MINDEF's intranet.

**** Err On Side Of Caution For NSmen's Well-being ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC121122-0000065/Err-on-side-of-caution-for-NSmens-well-being>
Terence Lim Eu Seng, Today

> While safety rules and systems are crucial, what matters more is a safety culture where common sense is exercised to avoid potentially high risks.

**** Dual Public Housing System Is Sustainable, Better: SDP ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC121122-0000043/Dual-public-housing-system-is-sustainable,-better--SDP>
Jeremy Chen, Singapore Democratic Party, Today

> Mr Kwong said that housing is also a lifetime investment against inflation and that no one wants to pay interest on a mortgage if a profit cannot be made on the property.

> However, NOM flat owners would pay less for their flats. The capital saved could be used not only for the purpose he cited but also to start a business, fund their children's education, save for healthcare needs, etc.

**** Soundscaping: Yishun ****
<http://poskod.sg/Posts/2012/11/20/SOUNDSCAPING-Yishun?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+poskodsg+%28POSKOD.SG%29>
Poskod.sg