[MyAppleMenu] Nov 20, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 20 18:59:01 EST 2012

**** Nokia's Mapping App Here Now Available In iOS App Store ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/20/nokias-mapping-app-here-now-available-in-ios-app-store/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> Nokia HERE is a free, universal app that's powered by Nokia's NAVTEQ mapping data. It includes a garden variety of views like map view, live traffic view, public transport line view and satellite view. It also supports offline maps, so you can still travel when you lose your data connection.

**** Apple Announces Black Friday One Day Shopping Event ****
<http://www.imore.com/apple-announces-black-friday-one-day-shopping-event>
Chris Oldroyd, IMore

**** Keep Your Data Safe When You Travel For The Holidays ****
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2015109/keep-your-data-safe-when-you-travel-for-the-holidays.html>
Glenn Fleishman, TechHive

**** More Overcast Than Cloudy ****
<http://carpeaqua.com/2012/11/19/more-overcast-than-cloudy/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Justin Williams, Carpeaqua

**** Two Weeks With iPad Mini ****
<http://speirs.org/blog/2012/11/19/two-weeks-with-ipad-mini.html>
Fraser Speirs

> That's when it clicked. When I realised I had - without really thinking - done all the things I need an iPad to do for a whole week without being forced back to a full-size iPad, I saw that the iPad mini is just that: an iPad. No need to over-think the distinction, no real need to develop theories about it: the iPad mini is an iPad in the same way that the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro are both Macs. They'll both do the same 95% of the job: get the one that suits you best.

**** Half Full Glass ****
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/half-full-glass/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> I’m a strong believer that familiarity and consistency between OS X and iOS will increase, but they won’t take away the unique traits that make these platforms suitable for different contexts, for different users.

**** OpenFeint To Shut Down Permanently On December 14Th ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/11/19/openfeint-to-shut-down-december-14th/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

**** Apple Censors A Cover … One That Looks Like Many Others ****
<http://mhpbooks.com/apple-censors-a-cover-like-many-others/>
Kelly Burdick, Melville House

**** How To Maximize Battery Life When You Travel ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167631/how-to-maximize-battery-life-when-you-travel.html>
Leah Yamshon, Macworld

**** iTunes Match Re-match: Have Things Gotten Any Better? ****
<http://gigaom.com/apple/itunes-match-re-match-have-things-gotten-any-better/>
Geoffrey Goetz, GigaOM

**** Apple Purchase Of Color Labs Verified In Bizarre Lawsuit ****
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/19/apple-purchase-of-color-labs-verified-in-bizarre-lawsuit>
Mikey Campbell, AppleInsider

**** Apple And The Desire For Control ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/19/apple-and-the-desire-for-control/>
David Streitfeld, New York Times

> Apple declined to comment on Tawkon or Fandor, but in general has maintained that tight control is essential for ensuring the quality of customers’ experiences. The company screens out potentially buggy or completely ridiculous apps, for example. And Apple says the vast majority of apps — more than 95 percent — are accepted on the first submission.

Well, there's always Android, which, I believe, have a good ecosystem going. That's also a real choice.

**** Google Wants To Take On Apple With An Open AirPlay Alternative ****
<http://gigaom.com/video/google-open-airplay-alternative/>
Janko Roettgers, GigaOM

**** Think Smaller. ****
<http://jeannicholashould.com/post/36067940845/think-smaller>
Jean-Nicholas Hould

**** Man In The Middle ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/books/review/john-updikes-rabbit-redux-and-white-working-class-angst.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Sam Tanenhaus, New York Times

> The populations in these states are not especially diverse, but they seem, time and again, to yield the richest harvest of “independent voters,” so often depicted as paragons of the national character — thrifty, family-oriented, churchgoing — especially if they are white males of Protestant stock, each an Everyman caught in the tangle of post-industrial America, a “man in the middle,” as John Updike puts it in “Rabbit Redux.” Published in 1971 and set in 1969 — the year of Chappaquiddick and the moon landing, the beginning of Richard Nixon’s presidency — it remains the most illuminating and prophetic of modern political novels, though on the surface it seems not about politics at all.

**** Who Killed Knut? ****
<http://www.aeonmagazine.com/nature-and-cosmos/stephen-cave-zoos-conservation/>
Stephen Cave, Aeon

> The death of a beloved polar bear casts the logic of zoos in a cold light. Are they safe havens or places of sacrifice?

**** Finding Rhyme, If Not Reason, In Election Season ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/20/books/dogfight-a-presidential-race-in-verse-by-calvin-trillin.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Michiko Kakutani, New York Times

> Calvin Trillin composes poetry on deadline,

> Drawing inspiration straight from a headline.

> He likes to send up politicians in verse,

> Chronicling follies that get worse and worse.

**** MOE Will Not Publish Names Of Those Who Top Exams ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/moe-will-not-publish-names-those-who-top-exams>
Matthias Chew, Straits Times

> The Ministry wants to "help parents and students understand that academic performance is just one aspect of a student's overall development and progress".

**** Quit Complaining: BTO Price Hikes Have Actually Eased Compared To 2009 Figure ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/residential-property/news/quit-complaining-bto-price-hikes-have-actually-eased-compared-2009-figure>
Singapore Business Review

**** Apology ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/2012/11/20/article01/>
Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu

1. On or about 17 November 2012, I published on my website, SingaporeSurf (at http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/), the words <i>"Ng Eng Han Lied To Singaporeans About Providing A NS Disruption List"</i>, followed by the following words:
<i>"Sir, you also mentioned that you would publish annually a list of names of NSF who defer their enlistments ('NS disruption list to be open for public: Minister Ng', ST 20 Oct 2011). It seemed that it has been overdue or perhaps overlooked. Is the ministry taking the matter seriously?</i>
<i>Let's be a little generous and give him until the end of this year for the list."</i>
(collectively, the "Words", at http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/) with a link to words which were originally published by The Real Singapore (at http://therealsingapore.com/content/ng-eng-han-lied-singaporeans-about-providing-ns-disruption-list).
2. I recognise that the Words meant or were understood to mean that Minister for Defence, Dr Eng Hen, lied to Singaporeans when he said that he would provide a National Service disruption list.
3. I admit and acknowledge that this allegation is false and completely without foundation. The lists of names of full-time National Servicemen given permission to defer their enlistments have been provided, and are publicly available on the Ministry of Defence website (at http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/press_room/public_info/disruption.html).
4. I unreservedly apologise to Dr Ng Eng Hen for the distress and embarrassment caused to him by this allegation.
5. I have removed the Words and the link and undertake not to make any further allegation to the same or similar effect.

**** Hopes Fade For Singapore Economy To Return To The 8-9% Growth Levels ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/hopes-fade-singapore-economy-return-8-9-growth-levels>
Singapore Business Review