[MyAppleMenu] Nov 5, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 5 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** Apple Sells Three Million iPad Minis, 4Th Generation iPads In Three Days ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/05/apple-sells-three-million-ipad-minis-ipad-4th-generation-ipads/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

**** OS X Snow Leopard Shows Signs Of Becoming Apple's XP ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9233244/OS_X_Snow_Leopard_shows_signs_of_becoming_Apple_s_XP?source=rss_operatingsystems&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+computerworld%2Fs%2Ffeed%2Ftopic%2F123+%28Computerworld+Mac+OS+News%29>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> It's unclear why Mac users are holding on to Snow Leopard, but one factor may be that it is the newest Apple OS able to run applications written for the PowerPC processor, the Apple/IBM/Motorola-designed CPU used by Macs before Apple announced a switch to Intel in 2005.

**** 5 Perspectives On The Future Of The Human Interface ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/04/5-perspectives-on-the-future-of-the-human-interface/>
Alex Williams, TechCrunch

**** The Coming Collapse Of Average Managers And Employees ****
<http://blogs.hbr.org/schrage/2012/10/the-coming-collapse-of-average.html>
Michael Schrage, Harvard Business Review

> The biggest challenge I see for tomorrow's organizations isn't how to best to whip their thoroughbreds; it's whether marginal investments in the mediocre can cost-effectively move a second-quartile performer into the first quintile. Will that be the "real" future value of bosses? Or will "average" further devolve and decay into value-added irrelevance?

**** One Man, One Computer, 10 Million Students: How Khan Academy Is Reinventing Education ****
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelnoer/2012/11/02/one-man-one-computer-10-million-students-how-khan-academy-is-reinventing-education/>
Michael Noer, Forbes

> The headquarters of what has rapidly become the largest school in the world, at 10 million students strong, is stuffed into a few large communal rooms in a decaying 1960s office building hard by the commuter rail tracks in Mountain View, Calif. Despite the cramped, dowdy circumstances, youthful optimism at the Khan Academy abounds.

**** Why “The Culture Of Failure” Is Imperative To Startup Communities ****
<http://www.bothsidesofthetable.com/2012/11/04/why-the-culture-of-failure-is-imperative-to-startup-communities/>
Both Sides Of The Table

**** Darul Arqam Disputes Sexist Allegations ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/darul-arqam-disputes-sexist-allegations>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

> Madam Halimah confirmed with Singapolitics that this was true, and that she met with Aware about a month ago.

> She said: “As part of my general visits with women’s groups, I had met with Aware where they raised this issue with me, among many other issues.”

> She said the Registry of Muslim Marriages is conducting a review of all Muslim marriage counselling courses across several providers, including Darul Arqam.

**** Selling Singapore ****
<http://zotg.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/selling-singapore/>
Aadit Gupta, Zeit Of The Geist

> It’s really amazing what they’ve managed to do, and I’m honored to be able to study here for high school (the city is like a giant, über safe playground), but I just couldn’t live here permanently. I think I’d go stir-crazy, but maybe that’s just me. A bit of Indian/Vietnamese-style ‘controlled chaos’ adds zest to city living, and I personally couldn’t do without it!

**** A Creative Mind ****
<http://www.salt.org.sg/2103/a-creative-mind/>
Eleanor Yap, Salt

> This NTU student is helping non-profits by starting a pro-bono creative agency.

**** Why Ban Vendors Above 35 From Doing Business At *Scape Bazaar? ****
<http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/what_bugs_me/1407008/why_bar_vendors_above_the_age_of_35_from.html>
Straits Times

**** Govt Incentives Not A'prize' For Having Children ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121105-0000027/Govt-incentives-not-aprize-for-having-children>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

> "If any of the young couples come to me and say that, 'Oh, I am doing this because you are giving me the money', I'll be very concerned because that is really not the motivation to have children," [Ms Grace Fu[ said.

**** Shanmugam: Singaporeans Yet To Grasp 'New Reality' ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.sg/2012/11/shanmugam-singaporeans-yet-to-grasp-new.html>
Blogging For Myself

> The land isn't growing any more. In fact we are going under ground albeit quietly. By forcing the government to throttle the inflow of outsiders, we are forcing them to exercise foresight.

**** Education In Singapore: Student-Led Conferences ****
<http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/education-in-singapore-student-led-conferences/>
Guanyinmao's Musings

**** Maria Almenoar And The $7,000 Hole She Dug ****
<http://www.voiddecker.com/2012/11/maria-almenoar-and-the-7000-cabby/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=maria-almenoar-and-the-7000-cabby>
The Void Decker

> If it’s not bad enough that you got it wrong the first time, it is convenient and downright irresponsible to blame it on the poor fellow who doesn’t have the avenue as you do to explain himself in a national newspaper.

**** SDP Launches Policy Paper On Housing ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121105-0000038/SDP-launches-policy-paper-on-housing>
Sumita Sreedharan, Today

> Entitled "Housing a nation - Holistic policies for affordable homes", the paper argued for a Non-Open Market Scheme, in which Housing Development Board (HDB) flats would be sold without land cost being factored in. Buyers of these flats would only pay the administrative, labour and construction costs of the flats, but they cannot be sold in the open market and can only be sold back to the HDB, the SDP said.

**** Dying At Home Is Expensive ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121105-0000001/Dying-at-home-is-expensive>
Tan Weizhen, Today