[MyAppleMenu] May 24, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 24 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Coda 2 Dramatically Improves An Already Very Good Code Editor ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166943/coda_2_dramatically_improves_an_already_very_good_code_editor.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> It’s an excellent upgrade, making significant improvements upon what was already a very good coding environment.

**** Diet Coda Review ****
<http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=1205222&expand=true>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> As much as I love my iPad, I prefer to do my code work on a Mac with a real keyboard and mouse. But on those occasions where that’s just not possible, or where I need to make such a small change that digging my laptop out just seems like too much effort, Diet Coda on my iPad can perform quite well in its stead.

**** Diary Of An App Maker: What It's Like To Develop For iOS ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166928/diary_of_an_app_maker_what_its_like_to_develop_for_ios.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> Expectations: Perhaps the single hardest thing about building an app for the App Store is that we’re all so accustomed to great apps. Sure, we’ve all seen a few lousy ones, but Apple sets the bar high with its own software (GarageBand, anyone?), and plenty of third-party developers offer up excellent apps of their own.

**** How Tim Cook Is Changing Apple ****
<http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/05/24/apple-tim-cook-ceo/>
Adam Lashinsky, Sr., Fortune

> What's clear is that Cook is behaving like his own man, putting his stamp on Apple -- including some moves that will court controversy with the Apple faithful, watchful as they are for the slightest deviation from their perception of the Steve Jobs playbook. Cook consistently pays homage to the legacy of Jobs, but he doesn't apologize for charting a new course. He seems, at the end of the day, to be honoring one of Jobs' dying requests: that Apple's management not ask "What would Steve do?" and instead do what's best for Apple.

**** Yahoo! Axis Delivers Synchronized Browsing For iPad And Desktop ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/23/yahoo-axis-delivers-synchronized-browsing-for-ipad-and-desktop/>
Michael Rose, TUAW

**** Apple Fingered For App Failure ****
<http://afr.com/p/national/apple_fingered_for_app_failure_jizF2mdDo6eVtJLI3aLa1H>
David Ramli, Financial Review

> A senior Victorian public service IT chief has warned that governments trying to design helpful apps for iPhones and iPads are most likely to encounter Apple as an obstacle.

> Victorian Department of Health digital services unit manager Gerardine O’Sullivan made the comments during the CeBIT trade show in Sydney on Wednesday.

> Apple Australia spokeswoman Fiona Martin said she was not familiar with the Victorian Department of Health’s specific situation.

**** Four Tips For The Command Key In OS X ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57440016-263/four-tips-for-the-command-key-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> While the Command key is perhaps the most used modifier keys on the system, its primary use is in combination with other keys. At its basics, you hold the command key while typing another key or combination thereof to perform a specific action, but in addition there are some convenient features in the Mac OS that only take a single addition of a Command key press in order to activate.

**** Apple Posts New Siri Ads Featuring John Malkovich ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-posts-new-siri-ads-featuring-john-malkovich/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> The ads, titled “Joke” and “Life” show Malkovich casually talking to Siri with short sentences and a series of single words such as “weather” or “evening”, perhaps in an effort to showcase both Malkovich’s particular attitude and Siri’s capability of handling short commands with seemingly no context (“evening” returns a series of calendar appointments, “linguica” displays local restaurants).

**** Browser Choice: A Thing Of The Past? ****
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57439936-93/browser-choice-a-thing-of-the-past/>
Stephen Shankland, CNET

**** Diet Coda From An iPad Blogger’s Perspective ****
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/diet-coda-from-an-ipad-bloggers-perspective/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Even without fully utilizing Diet Coda’s set of features, I’m happy to see the app filling a particular void in my workflow — and even better, with style and prowess.

**** Windows 8 Secrets: Internet Explorer 10 Will Ship With Adobe Flash ****
<http://www.withinwindows.com/2012/05/23/windows-8-secrets-internet-explorer-10-will-ship-with-adobe-flash/>
Within Windows

> Two years ago, Microsoft declared that the future of video on the web would be powered by HTML 5. Today, however, a lot of web video content is still delivered via Adobe Flash technology. So, in a somewhat surprising move, Microsoft is integrating Flash directly into Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8 and doing so in a way that does not undermine the safety and reliability of the Metro environment.

I wonder. Is Microsoft still doing the embrace, extend and extinguish thing?

**** iBook Lessons: Book Samples And Rookie Mistakes ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/23/ibook-lessons-book-samples-and-rookie-mistakes/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

**** Searches Go Full-screen In Update To Google's iOS App ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166950/searches_go_full_screen_in_update_to_googles_ios_app.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Eric Bruno, Macworld

> Google has gone big with the changes in the latest version of its mobile search app for iOS, starting with full-screen searches and views for the iPhone. Other changes introduced in Google Search 2.0.0 Wednesday include speed improvements, an enhanced yet simplified user interface, and gesture tweaks for easy navigation.

**** How Apple Could Play The Bigger-Display iPhone Thing At WWDC, Which I Swear, I’m Still Not Convinced Is For Real But We’re Getting To The Point Where There’s An Awful Lot Of Smoke For There Not To Be A Fire So Let’s Run With It ****
<http://daringfireball.net/2012/05/bigger_display_iphone_thing_wwdc>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** iOS 6 And Files.app ****
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-6-and-files-app/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Even by only slightly mimicking the Finder, Files.app could reset the past five years of “simple” iOS interactions in one big fell swoop. Photos itself, which is extremely straightforward, is criticized for its file management features. Now imagine that applied to the general concept of “files” with folders, views, sorting options, settings, and previews.

**** Lion Zombie Document Mystery Solved ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13019?rss>
Matt Neuburg, TidBITS

> If an application is running at the time you shut down the computer (or restart or log out), that application will reopen its zombie windows the next time it is launched, even if you have told it not to.

**** Sync Services Gone Crazy! ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166939/sync_services_gone_crazy_.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** The Expert's Guide To Instapaper ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166898/the_experts_guide_to_instapaper.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Eddie Smith, Macworld

> If you’ve never heard of Instapaper, here are a few tips on how to get started. If you’re already an Instapaper fan, I’ve also got some ideas about using it efficiently.

**** Updated SDK From Soti Allows Businesses To Remotely Control Apple Mobile Devices ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166923/updated_sdk_from_soti_allows_businesses_to_remotely_control_apple_mobile_devices.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Fred O'Connor, IDG News Service

**** Qwiki Aims To Turn Everyone Into A Multimedia Storyteller ****
<http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/qwiki-aims-turn-multimedia-storyteller/story?id=16408635>
Joanna Stern, ABC

**** Rereading Stephen King: Week One – Carrie ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/may/24/rereading-stephen-king-carrie>
James Smythe, The Guardian

> Carrie is Stephen King's first novel. A large part of its fame comes from the fact that it was actually the fourth novel he wrote and submitted to publishers – a story that people love to tell when discussing the roads to publication of big-name authors.

**** Of Alien Intelligence, The Supernatural And Divinity ****
<http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2012/05/23/153270190/of-alien-intelligence-the-supernatural-and-divinity>
Marcelo Gleiser, NPR

> Could we distinguish ultra-advanced aliens from gods? I know; it sounds like a preposterous question, but hear me out.

**** "Alien Vs. Predator," A Book Of Poetry By Michael Robbins ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/24/books/alien-vs-predator-a-book-of-poetry-by-michael-robbins.html?gwh=BB7A8CFF0F5A2B0144EFEF2F69541012>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

> What puts his poems over is their sheer joy and dizzy command. He delivers his verses in tight, mostly rhyming quatrains and quintets that march down the page like the work of Frederick Seidel or Mr. Muldoon himself. He is not lying when he declares: “Contents may have shifted during rapture.”

**** You Can Take It With You ****
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article05231201.aspx>
Stefany Anne Golberg, The Smart Set

> The backpack once allowed travelers to leave their lives behind. Today, it lets them take everything wherever they go.

**** Pride And Poetry ****
<http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/magazine/103341/joseph-brodsky-russian-literature-lev-loseff>
Michael Scammell, The New Republic

> Joseph Brodsky caught the attention of the outside world for the first time in 1964, when he was tried in Leningrad for the crime of writing poetry. That is not how the indictment read, of course: his “crime” was that he did not have a regular job, and was therefore a “parasite.” But a scurrilous article attacking Brodsky in the <i>Evening Leningrad</i> newspaper not long before his trial gave the game away.

**** Singapore Is Not A Safe Haven ****
<http://www.thestreet.com/story/11551481/1/singapore-is-not-a-safe-haven.html>
Roger Nusbaum, TheStreet

**** Teo Chee Hean To Be Wong Kan Seng II? ****
<http://pijitailai.blogspot.com/2012/05/teo-chee-hean-to-be-wong-kan-seng-ii.html>
Piji Tailai

> Since the departure of Wong Kan Seng last May, the PAP needs to find a replacement for its ‘big mouth’ politics. It seems they have found one and coincidently, this person is holding the same political office in the government as the former DPM Wong.

**** Upgrading Hougang ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/05/upgrading-hougang/>
Wee Nam Kee, The Online Citizen

> PAP has fallen short of the moral standards expected from a political party that prioritizes the citizens ahead of its own party interests. The cruel politicisation of upgrading amenities casts doubt on the ethics and motivation of the PAP, regardless whether it is a local or national election.

**** SMRT Foresees Less Breakdowns By Year-end ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1203322/1/.html>
Olivia Siong, Channel NewsAsia

> Train operator SMRT said it has learnt from last year's December train incidents and said there will be less breakdowns by year-end.

The exact definition of "less breakdowns" was not given.

**** NTUC FairPrice To Raise Wages Of Non-executive Staff ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1203318/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Sesame Street Ride To Open At Universal Studios S'pore ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1203317/1/.html>
Monica Kotwani, Channel NewsAsia

> It will be a trip down memory lane for many Singaporeans when the Sesame Street Theme Park Ride opens at Universal Studios Singapore later this year.

**** Why Singapore Politics Is ‘Uniquely Singapore’? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/05/why-singapore-politics-is-uniquely-singapore/>
Jackson Tan, The Online Citizen

**** PM Lee Calls On Hougang Voters To Make A Fresh Start ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1203307/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Lee said having one more MP, either PAP or opposition, makes a difference not on the percentage increase to the side the MP represents, but on the MP's integrity, commitment and ability.

Fresh start? How about a new PM that have the political will to solve problems of the not-so-rich Singaporeans? Someone that believe in the Singapore pledge?

**** Hougang By-election: Workers’ Party HUAT AH’ ****
<http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/hougang-by-election-workers-party-huat-ah/>
SpotlightOnSingapore

> The Workers’ Party has brought up issues like the influx of cheap labour, the school system that focuses narrowly on grades, the high cost of utilities, the plight of the elderly, the frequent breakdowns of the MRT, lift upgrading and so on.

> In contrast, the PAP resorted to mudslinging by accusing the WP of dishonesty and malfunction. Let’s make a fresh start the PM urged the voters of Hougang. Clearly the PAP is bankrupt of ideas. They don’t know what to say.

**** Fighting For The Right To Be Represented ****
<http://publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/613-fighting-for-the-right-to-be-represented>
Woo Wei Ling, Publichouse.sg

**** Desmond Choo Distancing Himself From NCMP Issue ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/05/desmond-choo-distancing-himself-from.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** World's First Angry Birds Cable Car Ride ****
<http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/play/worlds-first-angry-birds-cable-car-ride-899095>
CNNGo

> Unfortunately, the Angry Birds cable cars haven't been rigged to catapult riders into a brick wall or blocks of ice. But they do pipe in the familiar soundtrack -- snorting and chirping.

**** Desmond Choo: Certainly Not “His Own Man” ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7631>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

> That Mr Desmond Choo has attempted to distance himself, however figuratively and unsuccessfully, from the collective PAP leadership, speaks volumes about the level of trust Hougang voters have in the PAP and about Mr Choo’s confidence in his own party branding.

> By maintaining a good boy image in front of the media and the public, and letting his PAP colleagues do the dirty job of going down the gutter, Mr Desmond Choo has shown that he is certainly not an independent voice, and is definitely not “his own man”.

**** Focus On The Real Issue At Hand: PAP's Choo ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_802557.html>
Teo Wan Gek, Straits Times

> He told reporters on Thursday afternoon: 'I know that there have been many comments regarding NCMP and other issues surrounding this, I thought that enough has been said, it is important to focus on the real issue at hand, which is about the two candidates, and selecting one that will serve them for the next four years.'

**** NTUC Not A Toothless Body When Defending Employees' Rights ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-4/Story/STIStory_802530.html>
Philip Lee, Straits Times

> Ms Cham, 43, assistant secretary-general of the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) and its director of Industrial Relations, told The Straits Times Online that most labour disputes are settled away from the glare of publicity.

> She continued: 'These employers think we will not dare do anything - we will not wear protest armbands. If the situation calls for it, we can go on strike. This can happen if more than 50 per cent of a unionised workforce in a company indicate this in a secret ballot.

**** Singtel Swallows Up Start-Ups ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/05/24/singtel-swallows-up-start-ups/>
Sam Holmes, Wall Street Journal

> While these platforms have a strong following in the carrier’s home market, extending into other Asian markets, where SingTel hopes to tap into the explosive growth of mobile apps, might be more challenging.

> Also uncertain is just how well a suite of new start-ups, many built up and managed by young entrepreneurs and engineers, will fit culturally into the conservative and hierarchical corporate environment of SingTel, which is majority-owned by state investment firm Temasek.

> Still, many in the start-up community say SingTel’s more active presence in this space might encourage greater co-investment from the private sector and give local entrepreneurs more impetus to innovate.

**** Third Stage: Theatre Company Or "Marxist Network"? ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/612-third-stage-theatre-company-or-marxist-network?>
Lisa Li, Publichouse.sg

**** COI On The Trains Breakdowns ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.com/2012/05/coi-on-trains-breakdowns.html>
Blogging For Myself

> As the COI on the major breakdowns in the MRT system draws near to the close, I am forced to conclude that the guys simply didn't know their system as well as we all had hoped. Fortunately they were not running an airline or we might have planes falling from the skies.

**** SMRT’s Pay More, No Choice But To Work More Scheme ****
<http://littlemskaypoh.blogspot.com/2012/05/smrts-pay-more-no-choice-but-to-work.html>
Little Ms Kaypoh

> It seems as if ‘work-life strategy’ is only applicable to some groups of workers (like busy executives), but not others (like bus drivers). For bus drivers, it appears a perverse human resource principle applies – if you want a marginal pay increase, you must face – and accept – reductions in your working conditions.

**** A Smear Campaign On Png? Really??? ****
<http://sghardtruth.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/a-smear-campaign-on-png-really/>
SG Hard Truth

**** The Faces Of Haters ****
<http://xiaxue.blogspot.com/2012/05/faces-of-haters.html>
Xiaxue.blogspot.com

**** Did WP Treat Hougang Voters As Idiots? ****
<http://ahtanlor.blogspot.com/2012/05/did-wp-treat-hougang-voters-as-idiots.html>
AhTanLor

**** Existing Hawkers Pissed Off With NEA “No-minimum Bid” Scheme ****
<http://themediaslut.com/2012/05/existing-hawkers-pissed-off-with-nea-no-minimum-bid-scheme/>
Themediaslut

**** Desmond's Source Of Funds ****
<http://fivestarsandamoon.blogspot.com/2012/05/desmonds-source-of-funds.html>
Five Stars And A Moon

> The Worker's Party has had 20 years to do this.

> Mr. Choo did it in one.

**** Amnesty: Several Asian Nations 'Repressing Dissent' ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18185767>
BBC

> Other countries, such as Thailand, Singapore and South Korea, also ''muzzled critics'' albeit employing ''less overtly violent means''.

**** Hougang Residents, A Beacon Of Hope And Inspiration. Huat Ah! ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/05/hougang-residents-a-beacon-of-hope-and-inspiration-huat-ah/>
Jen, The Online Citizen

> Do we want an apathetic type of Singaporean who is blind to justice and who only cares about his safety and material comforts? Or do we want to build a people who value the more important principles in life such as courage, passion and righteousness? And just what kind of government do we want for our country? One that is arrogant and focused on the economy and not the people? Or do we want a government that is ethical and which genuinely cares about the well-being of its people?

**** Call For Action As Singapore Maids Fall To Their Deaths ****
<http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/23/world/asia/singapore-maids-deaths/index.html>
Liz Neisloss, CNN

> So far the number of deaths this year has eclipsed last year's total of four fatalities, according to government figures. Singapore's Ministry of Manpower calculates that since 2000, 75 women have fallen to their deaths while working.

> Workers rights groups and the Indonesian government have called for a ban on this kind of dangerous work.

**** Chart Of The Day: Are Singaporeans Becoming Lazy Cooks? ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/food-beverage/news/chart-day-are-singaporeans-becoming-lazy-cooks>
Singapore Business Review

> A closer look at the Consumer Price Index reveals households are now spending less on non-cooked food items than on prepared meals.

**** Fewer HDB Malls Offer Concourse Lots ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_802454.html>
Lee Xin En, Straits Times

> At least six shopping centres have already stopped leasing out lots at their concourses.

**** SMRT Fares 'Up To Transport Council' ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_802466.html>
Siau Ming En, Straits Times

> Whether or not SMRT commuters will have to pay more because the train system is being improved will be up to the Public Transport Council, said the transport operator's interim chief executive on Wednesday.

> He added that the council will take into account factors such as the operator's costs in running and providing a safe and reliable service.

**** Integrity Ah? Ne’er Mind Lah – HUAT First! ****
<http://speakspokewritewrote.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/integrity-ah-neer-mind-lah-huat-first/>
SpeakSpokeWriteWrote

**** Making Fallacious Political Statements ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/05/making-fallacious-political-statements.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> When one steps back, cool down, think about it, most political arguments are just plain hogwash.

**** Xenophobia Online? Not Quite... ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_802308.html>
Koh Boon Hock, Straits Times

> The postings may have been overwhelmingly critical of foreigners, but they raised legitimate questions about the lack of respect for Singapore laws, as well as the larger issue of immigration.

> The question reflects genuine concern among Singaporeans about the safety of their families and themselves.

This is but one incident that a lot of feedback and "engagement" can be had, if only the government is willing to listen.

**** Raffles Hospital Well-equipped To Handle Multiple Trauma Cases Round The Clock ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_802297.html>
Prem Kumar Nair, Raffles Hospital, Straits Times

> It is an established procedure that Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) 995 ambulances currently take patients only to designated public hospitals.

> However, Raffles Hospital receives emergency cases on a daily basis brought in by private ambulances and vehicles, and air ambulances.

> We manage such trauma cases as a matter of normal and regular practice.

Are MOH and SCDF lying?
Previous:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_801181.html">Raffles Hospital not for multiple trauma cases</a>(Bey Mui Leng, Ministry Of Health, Yazid Abdullah, Singapore Civil Defence Force, Straits Times)</a>: In the accident referred to by Madam Woon, while Raffles Hospital is located close to the accident site, it is not equipped to deal with multiple trauma cases, and thus the SCDF had to take the patients to SGH and TTSH, which were the nearest fully equipped facilities to deal with such emergencies.</li>
<li><a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_798899.html">Why weren't crash victims taken to nearest hospital?</a> (Shirley Woon, Straits Times): Considering the seriousness of the injuries, why were the casualties not taken to the nearest hospital, even if it was a private one like Raffles, rather than to the Singapore General Hospital and Tan Tock Seng Hospital farther away?</li>
</ul>

**** Png's Comments Won't Hurt Party For Now: Observers ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_802440.html>
Leonard Lim, Robin Chan And Andrea Ong, Straits Times

> Hougang residents on Wednesday appeared unfazed by the swirl of controversy over the Workers' Party (WP) candidate's comments on the Non-Constituency MP (NCMP) scheme.

> Many who were interviewed by The Straits Times said that what mattered was still how well their MP could serve them and meet their municipal concerns - and this will decide how they vote come Saturday.

**** Hougang: Random Tots & Facts ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/hougang-random-tots-facts/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

> Wonder if voters will remember that from 1991 to polling day in 2006 GE, the PAP were not “Always there for you”. In fact, it was trying to turn Hougang into a slum whose inhabitants would repent for voting WP. Remember one’s GCT’s threats in 2006 GE campaigning?

**** EZ-Reload Glitch: Customer Will Be Refunded ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120524-0000057/EZ-Reload-glitch--Customer-will-be-refunded>
Johanna Toh, EZ-Link Pte Ltd, Today

> Such incidents on the EZ-Reload facility are an anomaly and EZ-Link is working together with the CEPAS-enabled car park operators and relevant authority to investigate the occurrence of such transactions and how we can further refine the refund procedures.

Previous: <a href="http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120518-0000043/Glitch-in-EZ-Link-top-up-facility?">Glitch in EZ-Link top-up facility?</a> (Lim Wee Peng, Today): I am not sure if EZ-Link is even investigating such a glitch because I was told that the two errors were statistically insignificant for the system operator to check the facility's robustness.

**** Braving The Weather ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/05/braving-weather.html>
Singapore Notes

> But where are Lee's modern day troops? After one pathetic rally on Sunday, they retreated to the mainstream media, taking potshots ad nauseam like Wong Kan Seng did at the integrity of James Gomez over the filing of his minority candidate papers at GE 2006.

Lee Kuan Yew was a leader. There were probably lots of people willing to die for his vision.
I don't see any leaders in the current cabinet.
Also: <a href="http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/05/brave-hougang-spirit.html">The brave Hougang spirit</a> (Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News).

**** On Honesty And Double Standards Of The PAP And Mainstream Media ****
<http://furrybrowndog.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/on-honesty-and-double-standards-of-the-pap-and-mainstream-media/>
Furry Brown Dog

> Why was LKY’s misstatement under oath so easily dismissed whereas that of WP’s Png was exploited and charges of dishonesty leveled against WP?

**** Honestly, Let’s See How Honest The PAP Govt Has Been With Singaporeans… ****
<http://thetwophilo.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/honestly-lets-see-how-honest-the-pap-govt-has-been-with-singaporeans/>
Thetwophilo's Blog

**** Will DPM Teo Say “Let’s Move On”? ****
<http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=38744>
Chan Jia Hui, New Asia Republic

> The question is whether he wants to continue harping on the issue. What he can glean from George Yeo’s Aljunied experience is the inability to let go of such trifle issues can lead to sympathy votes in favour of the opposition and against the PAP.

**** What Makes PAP Is So Detestable? ****
<http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-makes-pap-is-so-detestable.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

> They "fecking' demolish the wet market and hawker centre at their whim and fancy and now he is making a song and dance of how hard he is telling his bosses to build another wet market. All of them are Fooking Hypocrites!

**** Unethical Electioneering Practices Must Stop..... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2012/05/unethical-electioneering-practices-must.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> The more Singaporeans show that their votes can be bought, the less the PAP need to do to ensure their policies benefit ordinary Singaporeans. They will respect you less if you allow your vote to be bought.

Also: <a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_802307.html">All wards should enjoy development equally</a> (Lee Swee Mei, Straits Times): The impartiality should especially apply in improvements that will benefit senior citizens, the underprivileged and the infirm, regardless of whether they are in an opposition ward, because the residents there who are tax-eligible pay the same taxes as other Singaporeans.

**** Straits Times' Attempt At Kiddie Propaganda ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/politics/item/610-straits-times-attempt-at-kiddie-propaganda>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> One can only guess it is a force of habit – a habit to please, to jump the gun, much like the eunuchs of old who would bend and grovel to please their masters.

> But it also just means that if the Straits Times, the main broadsheet in S’pore, carries on like this, the alternative online media will gain ground more easily, if it isn’t already doing so.

Also: <li><a href="http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2012/05/not-very-subtle-lah-st.html">Not very subtle lah, ST</a> (mrbrown.com): You can have all the layout redesigns in the world but thinking readers won't read your paper if they can smell the old "nation-building" ways coming back.

**** Bob Amsterdam Refused Entry Into Singapore ****
<http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/5255-bob-amsterdam-refused-entry-into-singapore>
Singaore Democratic Party

> Mr Amsterdam is acting for Dr Chee Soon Juan on the international stage and assisting him in on-going legal matters as many of Dr Chee's prosecutions involve international customary law. He is also the legal counsel for the SDP.

> In 2009, Mr Amsterdam published a White Paper titled The Repression of Political Freedoms in Singapore: The Case of Opposition Leader Dr. Chee Soon Juan in which he reviews how the Singapore Government has monopolized the state’s apparatus to its own benefit. The result has been the denial of democratic rights and freedoms and the muzzling of domestic and international media.

I guess if you are rich and/or willing to keep your mouth shut, you can come for, I don't know, medical treatment and shopping trips.

**** Hougang By-election Still "A Good And Clean Fight": Desmond Choo ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1203153/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Choo added that he and Mr Png have mutual respect for each other. He noted that he would exchange warm greetings with Mr Png when they meet on the campaign trail, and he is confident this will remain so for the rest of the hustings.

I guess this is one definition of "good and clean".