[MyAppleMenu] May 19, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 19 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Ditch iTunes: Manage Multimedia On The iPhone Your Way ****
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/255782/ditch_itunes_manage_multimedia_on_the_iphone_your_way.html#tk.rss_news>
Daniel Ionescu, PCWorld

> Whether your interests run to playing your favorite DVDs on your iPad or to dragging and dropping music files onto your iPhone, I've got you covered.

**** Apple Confirms Sandboxing Deadline For Mac App Store Apps On June 1 ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-confirms-sandboxing-deadline-for-mac-app-store-apps-on-june-1/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> In an email sent to registered Mac developers earlier today, Apple has confirmed it will begin enforcing a deadline on Sandboxing for Mac App Store apps on June 1, 2012.

**** Find Your App, And Keep It Found ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13009?rss>
Tonya Engst, TidBITS

> If you’ve noticed that you’re repeatedly hunting through multiple Home screen pages and folders for a particular app, here’s how to detect where its icon is hiding, and how to move it to a more memorable location.

**** Diablo III: Demon-cleaving, Refined ****
<http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/05/diablo-iii-demon-cleaving-refined/>
Rowan Kaiser, Ars Technica

**** Viddy Review ****
<http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=888771&expand=true>
Karissa Bell, Macworld

> Viddy, while similar to many photo-sharing apps, is exclusively for editing and sharing video. Users create, edit, and share short videos within the app. Videos can be customized with lo-fi filters and soundtracks and then shared with social networks.

**** Ask The iTunes Guy: Syncing Tips ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166828/ask_the_itunes_guy_syncing_tips.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** John Gruber's "The Talk Show" Leaves 5By5 ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/18/3029589/john-grubers-the-talk-show-leaves-5by5>
The Verge

**** The Imagination Engine: Why Next-Gen Videogames Will Rock Your World ****
<http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/05/ff_unreal4/>
Stu Horvath, Wired

**** Gadgets Work Under Your Skin – But Are You Ready? ****
<http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21428645.900-gadgets-work-under-your-skin--but-are-you-ready.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news>
Jim Giles, New Scientist

**** WiFi’s Future: Faster, Smarter, And Fewer Cables ****
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/05/wifis-future-faster-smarter-and-fewer-cables/>
Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica

> Technology upgrades we’ll see within the next year or so will make WiFi much smarter and more efficient in how it distributes signals. It’ll be so fast, and integrated into so many devices, that you may finally get to dump a lot of those cables cluttering your living room.

**** Can A Better Vibrator Inspire An Age Of Great American Sex? ****
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/12/05/can-a-better-vibrator-inspire-an-age-of-great-american-sex/257108/>
Andy Isaccson, The Atlantic

> Jimmyjane's conceit is to presuppose a world in which there is no hesitation around sex toys. Placing its products on familiar cultural ground has a normalizing effect, Imboden believes, and comparing a vibrator to a lifestyle accessory someone might pack into their carry-on luggage next to an iPad shifts people's perceptions about where these objects fit into their lives.

**** The Voice ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/20/books/review/the-voice.html?_r=1&gwh=9D81AC228EF665E74F7AF3B844933929>
John Schwartz, New York Times

> But if somebody’s going to spend 10 or 20 hours in my ears, turning me into a local jogging spectacle, I’d better enjoy the experience. That means, of course, picking the right books to listen to. It also means listening to the right reader.

**** What (And How) To Eat Naked ****
<http://www.gourmet.com/food/gourmetlive/2012/051612/what-and-how-to-eat-naked>
Geoff Nicholson, Gourmet

> But say, for the sake of argument, that you actually <i>are</i> going to eat in the nude: Chinese food isn’t the worst choice. Probably it’s best to stay away from sizzling shrimp and hot and sour soup, but if you happen to drop the occasional noodle or morsel of fried rice on yourself or your partner, well, no great harm done. It’s certainly a whole lot better than dropping a plate of chicken vindaloo in your lap, or a steaming hot artichoke, or (to think again of Scottish cuisine) a deep-fried Mars bar.

**** Opennet Problems Threaten To Spoil Singapore’s Fibre Broadband Experience ****
<http://www.techgoondu.com/2012/05/19/commentary-opennet-problems-threaten-to-spoil-singapores-fibre-broadband-experience/#.T7e6ou3XdSA>
Alfred Siew, Techgoondu

> The problem also calls into question the network separation that the infocomm regulator had set in place to prevent one telco from dominating the market.

> Opennet is expected to deal transparently with all telcos. But it is partly owned by SingTel, and by three other companies, and it hires SingTel contractors to lay the cables to homes and offices islandwide.

> Are these SingTel contractors then motivated to solve the issues of customers signing up for a rival telco’s services? They are obliged to roll out the fibre as their contracts stipulate, no doubt, but what type of customer service would they extend to consumers in need? I think I got my answer today.

**** Hougang By-election Not Just A Local Election: WP ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1202324/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

> Many problems faced by Hougang residents are national issues, said the party's speakers at an election rally on Saturday.

> The speakers urged Hougang residents to vote the party's candidate Png Eng Huat into Parliament so that the presence of the opposition will ensure that the government is responsive to the needs of Singaporeans and that people are at the centre of its policies.

**** What Singapore Can Learn From Europe By Professor Tommy Koh ****
<http://singaporeshortstories.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-singapore-can-learn-from-europe-by.html>
Singapore Short Stories

> Our country has always emphasized increasing productivity to justify higher wages but as what Professor Koh has rightly pointed out, it is hard to see how a cleaner can be more productive; I feel too that there is a limit on productivity which means a cap on a salary given to a particular employee of a certain trade.

> Profesor Koh is candid and frank to tell readers that the real reasons of low wages is the influx of low-wage foreign workers that Singapore has brought into our shores; as a result of these low-wage foreign workers; the "competition" forced local low wage earners to earn less.

**** Singapore Techs Face Margin Squeeze, Outlook Better ****
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-singaporeelectronicsbre84f1ji-20120516,0,6776668.story>
Eveline Danubrata And Patturaja Murugaboopathy, Reuters

> Cost pressures are piling up for Singapore's electronics sector, with some listed companies reporting lower profit margins, but analysts expect an improvement in the second half of the year as the holiday season boosts demand.

> The slump in the sector, which contributes more than one-third of Singapore's non-oil domestic exports, comes as the central bank warned the industry would be a drag on economic growth and flagged severe price erosion for electronics firms.

**** Hougang An "Uphill Fight" For PAP: PM Lee ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1202296/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> He said PAP candidate Desmond Choo was putting up a very good fight and he hoped Hougang residents would give him a chance.

**** Singapore’s Grim Outlook Is Cause For Concern ****
<http://community.nasdaq.com/News/2012-05/singapores-grim-outlook-is-cause-for-concern.aspx?storyid=142550>
NASDAQ

> Like many other emerging market economies, Singapore is suffering from a substantial decrease in demand as the result of concerns over the euro zone.

> As a result, most pundits agree it's unlikely the Singaporean economy can continue to grow at such a pace over the next year.

**** U.S. Risks Losing Drug Research Jobs Overseas, Top Lobbyist says ****
<http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/U-S-risks-losing-drug-research-jobs-overseas-3569687.php>
Bloomberg

> The U.S. risks losing thousands of research jobs as countries led by Singapore, Ireland and South Africa boost incentives to woo drugmakers, said John Castellani, head of a pharmaceutical industry lobbying group.

> To lure companies, Singapore's government has been pushing to recruit and train researchers and has one of the highest rates in the world with about 6,000 researchers for every 1 million citizens, according to the PhRMA study. It also offers a tax deduction of 150 percent for research expenses. As a result, pharmaceutical exports have increased 274 percent since 2000.

**** Taxi-Ferrari Crash Sparks Outrage In China ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/eastasia/view/1202134/1/.html>
Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia

> Observers said the two high-profile incidents where Chinese nationals ran into trouble with locals in Singapore and Hong Kong will only deepen anti-Chinese sentiment in the region.

**** PM Lee Visits Hougang With PAP's Desmond Choo ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1202272/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Widow Of Ferrari Driver Apologises ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1202254/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Changes In Foreign Worker Law: Who Benefits? Part 2 ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/changes-in-foreign-worker-law-who-benefits-part-2/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> I don’t see an easy solution. But I would say, at least do the do-able: Make detailed salary slips mandatory. Make Giro payments mandatory. That way at least, when workers finally find the courage to complain, they have the evidence at hand, and it’s easy for MOM to discern the facts.

**** Majority Of Singaporeans Will Not Be Directly Affected By Inflation. Who Do We Believe? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/05/majority-of-singaporeans-will-not-be-directly-affected-by-inflation-who-do-we-believe/>
Jen, The Online Citizen

> Who should we believe – the economists or the politicians?

**** æ›´æ­£ ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120519_003.shtml>
联合早报

> 本报昨天第八版“SMRT巴士司机获加薪”一文指“自5月1日起,SMRT巴士公司新加坡籍和本地永久居民巴士司机新的基本月薪为1625元。”这是错误的,只有新加入的新加坡公民,才可领取1625元基本月薪。特此更正。

**** ISA Event For Alleged Marxist Conspiracy Postponed To June 2 ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_800633.html>
Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

> The organisers of an event to mark the 25th anniversary of detentions for an alleged Marxist conspiracy have postponed it because of a rule linked to the Hougang by-election.

Given that the charges against them were never proven in courts, the use of the term 'alleged', in my opinion, is accurate.

**** Drop-in Help Centre In Orchard For Sex Workers ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_800644.html>
Janice Tay, Straits Times

**** 星展存款机“吞”了我的钱 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/jl120519_005.shtml>
陈敏新, 联合早报

> 中峇鲁广场的现金存款机时常发生故障,已经给常使用该台机器的我们增加许多麻烦,现在我存入的钱不翼而飞,我将因为机器故障而白白损失700元,这对我公平吗?

**** Hypocrites Of The Highest Order? ****
<http://lohandbehold.com/2012/05/19/hypocrites-of-the-highest-order/>
Mike Loh, Loh And Behold

> Did these jokers feel it was perfectly fine to eliminate entire forests of macaques and tree snakes when <i>their</i> own estates were built some years back?

**** Reverse Parking Analogy Is Off ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120519-0000059/Reverse-parking-analogy-is-off>
David Chen, Today

> Any driving instructor would say that reverse parking is inherently a safer practice, even enforced in some car parks in the United Kingdom.

Previous: <a href="http://www.todayonline.com/Commentary/EDC120512-0000006/Reverse-parking">Reverse Parking</a> (Paul Rae, Today).

**** Sgpolitics Stands Against Xenophobia, And Against The Mainstream Press ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7601>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

> Why is there a need to glorify and tout Ma Chi’s achievements in such an unnecessary manner?

> What can possible be gained, expect to incur the wrath of the people and stir up unsavoury emotions against Ma Chi’s family at a time when they also have to contend with their own grief?

SPH does have ambitions in China, it seems to me.

**** Court Sets Date For Hearing On By-election Issue ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/600-updated-court-sets-date-for-hearing-on-by-election-issue>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> The registrar has confirmed that the case will be held in open court, not in chambers, on the 28th and 29th of June, at 10am. The Registrar has clarified that the original notification sent out to the parties involved - that the case will be heard in chambers - was a mistake.

**** Singapore Willing To Return Riau Islands Airspace ****
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/05/18/singapore-willing-return-riau-islands-airspace.html>
Fadli, The Jakarta Post

> Indonesia’s efforts to take control of the airspace above Riau Islands, controlled by Singapore since 1946, have been unsuccessful since 1993. Singapore says it is willing to hand over control of the airspace above Riau Islands, provided that the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) gives the green light.

> As the airspace is included in Singapore’s FIR, Indonesia has no absolute authority over the airspace, which has deprived the country of income from route charges imposed on aircraft passing through the airspace.

**** Ferrari Deaths: Fast And Furious Response Overlooks The Role Of Dream Merchants ****
<http://journalism.sg/2012/05/18/ferrari-deaths-fast-and-furious-response-overlooks-the-role-of-dream-merchants/>
Cherian George, Journalism.sg