[MyAppleMenu] May 7, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 7 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Kinectimals Review ****
<http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=1171971&expand=true>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> While many of the challenges are repetitive, there’s more depth here than I expected. I continued unlocking new tricks and challenges long after I thought I would have run through the game’s options.

**** Adobe Preps Silent Flash Updates For Macs ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226921/Adobe_preps_silent_Flash_updates_for_Macs>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> As far as users are concerned, the Mac version is identical to the Windows tool: It pings Adobe's servers every hour until it gets a response. If it reaches Adobe and finds no ready update, the tool re-checks the servers 24 hours later. Found updates, however, are applied entirely in the background, and do not display notices on the screen or require the user to take any action.

**** Instacast 2.0 For The iPhone Available ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/05/07/instacast-2-0-for-the-iphone-available/>
Alexander Hofmann, Macgasm

**** This Inspiring Note Greets New Apple Staff On Their First Day ****
<http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2012/05/07/this-inspiring-note-greets-new-apple-staff-on-their-first-day/>
Jon Russell, The Next Web

**** Apple Store Genius Bars Now Facing More iPhone 4 Replacement Constraints, Told To Swap For 4S ****
<http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/06/apple-store-genius-bars-now-facing-more-iphone-4-replacement-constraints-told-to-swap-for-4s/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

**** Why Publishers Don't Like Apps ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/business/40319/>
Jason Pontin, Technology Review

> When people read news and features on electronic media, they expect stories to possess the <i>linky-ness</i> of the Web, but stories in apps didn't really link. The apps were, in the jargon of information technology, "walled gardens," and although sometimes beautiful, they were small, stifling gardens. For readers, none of that beauty overcame the weirdness and frustration of reading digital media closed off from other digital media.

**** Macs Under Attack? ****
<http://www.itpro.co.uk/640480/macs-under-attack>
Davey Winder, IT Pro

**** Carriers Chip Away At Phone Subsidies ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304020104577384562576617618.html>
Anton Troianovski, Wall Street Journal

> Wireless carriers are taking their first steps to change the terms of smartphone deals that have mostly benefited phone makers like Apple Inc., in a push that could leave consumers paying more for devices like the iPhone.

**** Apple Security Blunder Exposes Lion Login Passwords In Clear Text ****
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/apple-security-blunder-exposes-lion-login-passwords-in-clear-text/11963>
Emil Protalinski, ZDNet

> With the latest Lion security update, Mac OS X 10.7.3, Apple has accidentally turned on a debug log file outside of the encrypted area that stores the user’s password in clear text.

**** Will Audio Files Kill My Hard Drive? ****
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/story/2012-05-06/pegoraro-hard-drive-replacement/54750386/1>
Rob Pegoraro, USA Today

> So I don't expect that using a computer as a home studio — or for video editing, another data-intensive proposition — would make a meaningful difference in the drive's lifespan.

But, as also recommended by Mr Pegoraro, backup your data frequently.

**** Indiscreet Photos, Glimpsed Then Gone ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/disruptions-indiscreet-photos-glimpsed-then-gone/>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

> Snapchat allows a person to take and send a picture and control how long it is visible by the person who receives it, up to 10 seconds. After that, the picture disappears and can’t be seen again. If the person viewing the picture tries to use an iPhone feature that captures an image of whatever is on the screen, the sender is notified.

**** Mirroring Multiple iOS Devices To A Mac: Comparing AirServer And Reflection ****
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/mirroring-multiple-ios-devices-to-a-mac-comparing-airserver-and-reflection/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** Apple Extends MobileMe’s 20 GB Free Upgrade To iCloud Until September 30 ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-extends-mobilemes-20-gb-free-upgrade-to-icloud-until-september-30/>

**** Microsoft Creates Kinect-like System Using Your Laptop’s Built-in Speaker & Microphone ****
<http://www.extremetech.com/computing/128735-microsoft-creates-kinect-like-system-using-your-laptops-built-in-speaker-microphone>
Sebastian Anthony, ExtremeTech

> Not one to be outdone by Disney’s any-surface touch interface, Microsoft Research, working with the University of Washington, has developed a Kinect-like system that uses your computer’s built-in microphone and speakers to provide object detection and gesture recognition, much in the same way that a submarine uses sonar.

**** Gesture Control System Uses Sound Alone ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/web/40368/>
Rachel Metz, Technology Review

> SoundWave lets an ordinary laptop function like a Kinect sensor.

**** New Apps For The Bottom Billion ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/40364/>
David Talbot, Technology Review

> Low-tech phone technology allows images to be sent as bitmaps in text messages, opening up applications for the world's poorest.

**** Future U: Classroom Tech Doesn't Mean Handing Out Tablets ****
<http://arstechnica.com/features/2012/05/future-u-classroom-tech.ars>
Curt Hopkins, Ars Technica

**** New Start Up CodeNow.Com Lets You Build And Test Code In Real Time, In Your Browser ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/04/new-start-up-codenow-com-lets-you-build-and-test-code-in-real-time-in-your-browser/>
John Biggs, TechCrunch

**** The English Wars ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2012/05/14/120514crbo_books_acocella>
Joan Acocella, New Yorker

> English has always been a ragbag, and that encouraged further permissiveness. In the past half century or so, however, this situation has produced a serious quarrel, political as well as linguistic, with two combatant parties: the prescriptivists, who were bent on instructing us in how to write and speak; and the descriptivists, who felt that all we could legitimately do in discussing language was to say what the current practice was. This dispute is the subject of “The Language Wars: A History of Proper English”, by the English journalist Henry Hitchings, a convinced descriptivist.

**** I’m An Article About The Internet That You Repost On The Internet ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2012/05/14/120514sh_shouts_wayne>
Teddy Wayne, New Yorker

> Hey, you—yes, you, scanning past me for celebrity news. Did you fail to notice what I’m about? The exact medium that you use to mass-distribute articles to friends, relatives, and people you’ve never met!

**** Mount Vulture ****
<http://www.tnr.com/article/poetry/magazine/103066/mount-vulture-glenn-shaheen>
Glenn Shaheen, The New Republic

**** Chinese Box ****
<http://www.asiancha.com/content/view/1052/324/>
Kathlene Postma, Cha

**** A Doll’s House, Singapore Edition ****
<http://artitute.com/2012/05/07/a-dolls-house-singapore-edition/>
Artitute

**** Don't Be Put Off By Fear Of Abuse ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_796061.html>
Amrjit S. Wasan, Straits Times

> Staff convenience was enhanced as they did not have to visit doctors for minor ailments and incur their share of expenses. This mutual trust and confidence also lifted morale.

> The fear of occasional abuse by some should not hold up the implementation of a scheme that has widespread benefits.

**** SMRT Studying More Measures To Improve Safety Of Passengers ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1199739/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Chnnel NewsAsia

> [SMRT director of train operations, Shahrin Abdol Salam] said SMRT has established Standard Operating Procedures, as well as trained staff to handle scenarios that can be foreseen.

**** About 100 Trees Fall In Changi Beach Park After Storm ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1199708/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Chnnel NewsAsia

> National Parks Board (NParks) said this on Monday after intense rain and strong wind uprooted many trees. It added it is conducting additional inspection of trees.

**** Singapore Launches Grant For New Talent ****
<http://www.screendaily.com/news/asia-pacific/singapore-launches-grant-for-new-talent/5041442.article>
Liz Shackleton, Screen

**** The SPP – After Potong Pasir ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/05/the-spp-after-potong-pasir/>
Benjamin Cheah, The Online Citizen

**** No New Subscribers For Starhub? ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/telecom-internet/news/no-new-subscribers-starhub>
Singapore Business Review

> Phillip Capital commented that the results were above expectations but noted that subscriber acquisitions were slightly disappointing with relatively stagnant Mobile, PayTV & Broadband subscriberbase.

**** Raffles Medical Group: No Choice But To Raise Prices ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/healthcare/news/raffles-medical-group-no-choice-raise-prices>
Singapore Business Review

> In a statement, DMG Research said Raffles Medical Group’s management is optimistic that it will be able to progressively revise its prices to cover the rise in operating expenses.

**** Singapore Economic Restructuring To Raise Cost Pressures - Central Bank Official ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304363104577388912967418458.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Wall Street Journal

> Singapore's efforts to restructure its economy toward productivity-driven growth from an over reliance on cheap foreign labor would generate near-term price pressures from higher labor and business costs, amid an elevated inflation environment, a senior central bank official said Monday.

> But "as the economy adapts and productivity growth rises, price pressures are likely to subside and provide a lift to real wages, making Singaporean workers better off," the official said.

**** The WP – Being Effective, In And Out Of Parliament ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/05/the-wp-being-effective-in-and-out-of-parliament/>
Gordon Lee, The Online Citizen

> Whilst the WP has managed to fulfil their responsibilities, they have failed to lead (or participate meaningfully in) the important and popular debate on house prices, immigration, wages and transport. A successful party is one that controls the debate, a mediocre party is one that follows the debate, and an irrelevant party is one that is left out of the debate.

**** Hosting A Paying Guest? It Could Be Illegal ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_796157.html>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

**** Friction In The Singapore Society – On The Local-Foreign Divide ****
<http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=15063>
The Kent Ridge Common

**** Observations And Insights ****
<http://jennpohill.blogspot.com/2012/05/observations-and-insights.html>
Jenn Pohill, Singapore Or Bust!

**** The PAP – Facing Its New Mandate ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/05/the-pap-facing-its-new-mandate/>
Ghui, The Online Citizen

> However, despite the miscalculations they have made, there has been some progress on the part of the PAP to be more transparent, more approachable and more engaging. What is perhaps lacking is a clear agenda on its “terms of engagement” because presently, no one knows where they really stand. Perhaps, the PAP are not really sure themselves but I know what I would love to see – more robust debate, more answered questions, a sustained effort to maintain channels of communication without fear and most of all, a clear and unambiguous commitment from the PAP to honour, value and respect our views.

**** Panorama @ SAM, Singapore ****
<http://www.luxartasia.com/2012/05/panorama-sam-singapore.html>
LuxArtAsia

**** S.S.S – So Singaporean Sunday ****
<http://bricecheong.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/s-s-s-so-singaporean-sunday/>
Brice Cheong

> And it so happens a friend posted this on Facebook today, showing how the tissue culture have evolved to a whole new level for the shutterbugs.

**** Singapore’s Magic Numbers: A Tale From The Dark Side ****
<http://paradoxpapers.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/singapores-magic-numbers-a-tale-from-the-dark-side/>
The ParadoX Files

**** Ageism And Good News For Foreigners ****
<http://eviltwininsingapore.blogspot.com/2012/05/ageism-and-good-news-for-foreigners.html>
Eviltwin In Singapore

**** Singapore Is No.1 In Asia – How Long Can They Remain The Region’s Most Competitive city? ****
<http://chrisreed.brandrepublic.com/2012/05/04/singapore-is-no-1-in-asia-how-long-can-they-remain-the-regions-most-competitive-city/>
Chris J Reed, Brand Republic

**** Take A Tip From Singapore ****
<http://www.inc.com/clarissa-cruz/what-american-restauranteurs-can-learn-from-singapore.html>
Clarissa Cruz, Inc.com

> "Food courts in America are bad things—owned by no one, with food that comes from nowhere," Bourdain said at a recent media lunch in New York City, sponsored by the Singapore Tourism Board. He contrasted chain-heavy U.S. food court denizens with the Singaporean version: largely mom-and-pop operations that do one thing really well, whether it's laksa, nasi goreng, satay, or ice kachang. The stalls are tightly regulated, subsidized, and have relatively low overhead costs, which make it possible for small business owners to thrive.

**** 张思乐提醒青年党员:把行动党当成起步公司 而非蓝筹公司 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120507_002.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

> “如果行青团成员以为党是一家大型蓝筹跨国公司,那么我们注定衰败。我们必须把自己想象成一家小而精干的起步公司,永远虚心服务基层人民,我们才较有成功的机会。每一名党员都必须明白这点。”

Actually, don't even think of a political party as a business -- start-up or bluechip or otherwise.

**** The General Elections, One Year On: Craving For More Policy Discourse ****
<http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/the-general-elections-one-year-on-craving-for-more-policy-discourse/>
Kwan Jin Yao, Guanyinmiao's Musings

**** National Servicemen Have Unhindered Access To Medical Care ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120507-0000058/National-servicemen-have-unhindered-access-to-medical-care>
Lionel Cheng, MilitaryMedicine Institute, Today

> Dr Yeo also mentioned that her son had coughing fits and an asthma attack and was not allowed to see the Medical Officer. This is inaccurate. There are no records of the serviceman having reported sick at the medical centre or indicating that he had wanted to report sick to his company instructors throughout his BMT. On clarification with the serviceman, he confirmed that he had not reported the onset of his new medical conditions to his commanders or Medical Officer as he had wanted to complete his BMT.

> We would like to assure Dr Yeo that our Medical Officers and medics treat every serviceman with respect and empathy and our mission is to ensure that all servicemen who need medical attention receive the appropriate care and treatment before they are allowed to resume their military training.

**** Singapore's Achilles Heel ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/05/singapores-achilles-heel.html>
Singapore Notes

> They may dig up academics to justify their harebrained schemes, but the ugly results are plainly visible in our overloaded trains, cramped housing, precipitous wage gap, and growing social friction.

**** One Year After GE 2011, So What? ****
<http://pratapolitics.blogspot.com/2012/05/one-year-after-ge-2011-so-what.html>
Prata Politics

> They want to show they are doing something, but in the end it still stinks because they are doing a shitty job of it.

**** Singapore General Election 2011: A Year On ****
<http://singaporeshortstories.blogspot.com/2012/05/singapore-general-election-2011-year-on.html>
Singapore Short Stories