[MyAppleMenu] Mar 24, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 24 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Lines Of Resellers Returning New iPads At Fifth Avenue Apple Store ****
<http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/23/lines-of-resellers-returning-new-ipads-at-fifth-avenue-apple-store/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

> "Went to the Fifth Ave store near midnight today, and saw that Apple was setting up a separate line just to handle the volume of iPad returns from Chinese resellers."

**** To Tweet From 30,000 Feet: Picking Planes Wired For Wi-Fi ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303812904577295622065558432.html>
Scott McCartney, Wall Street Journal

> More passengers are downloading books, sending Tweets and updating their Facebook pages in the middle of a flight—even as they complain about steep prices.

**** The Enduring Appeal Of Enid Blyton ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/24/enid-blyton-famous-five-70-anniversary?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Nick Duerden, The Guardian

> "Much that is great in literature is an acquired taste, and you have to acquire it in the first place. Our job as parents is essentially to pass on the enthusiasm we had for the things we loved. That's how we'll get them to fall in love with reading in the first place and, hopefully, to stay in love with it."

**** Mall Rats ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/books/review/j-g-ballards-final-novel-kingdom-come.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all>
Scott Bradfield, New York Times

> Nobody ever hated the contemporary world with as much intensity and conviction as J. G. Ballard. In five decades of unforgiving literary production, he drowned it, scorched it, flayed it with whirlwinds, deluged it with Martian sand, even transformed it into a crystalline jungle populated by jewel-skinned crocodiles, people and parrots. His characters have been sodomized in car crashes, driven crazy by scientific researchers, hounded by billboards and forced to observe atrocities looping endlessly on movie screens until even Zapruder’s exploding bullets seemed as mundane and predictable as elevator music. For Ballard, who died in 2009 at the age of 78, the true horrors of our collective future don’t concern what might happen hundreds of years from now in a spaceship; rather, they reverberate in the very ordinary now-ness of freeway overpasses, sports stadiums, high-rise apartment complexes and gated communities. In other words, don’t bother watching out for zombies or mutant beasts or whatever. The ones you really need to watch out for are those mall-walkers.

**** 向前辈议员讨教 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl120324_014.shtml>
联合早报

> 眼尖的人相信已经发现波东巴西区的一个独特现象:跟其他选区不同的是,这里整个选区内看不到一张印有议员司徒宇斌肖像的布条或海报。

**** No Treatment Denied Because Of Payment Problems, Replies KKH ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_780952.html>
Ng Kee Chong, KK Women's and Children's Hospital, Straits Times

> The payment counter is located near the registration counter for ease of payment at the time of registration. Also, as the majority of parents/caregivers are accompanying children who are ill or injured, uncomfortable and probably irritable, this measure was put in place for their convenience and to reduce the time they spend at Children's Emergency after the doctor's consultation and the necessary care and advice are provided.

> We do not compel payment upon registration, and would certainly never withhold treatment.

Also: <a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_780954.html">We Had to Pay First Before Treatment At KKH</a> (Karen Lee, Straits Times).

**** Why It Is Worth Looking At Minimum Wage Next ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120324-0000067/Why-it-is-worth-looking-at-minimum-wage-next>
Gilbert Goh, Today

> Granted, if minimum wage is introduced, some small businesses would have difficulty coping and may shut down. The chances are that these are the ones that are most dependent on cheap foreign labour to survive.

> Singapore does not need such low-end industries in order to move forward. We need companies that can survive despite paying good wages to our workers, and hopefully, this would spur productivity.

We can't afford to have businesses that must operate at such a cheap level that they can provide workers honest pay for honest day's work.

**** Good Job, Singapore Democratic Party ****
<http://utwt.blogspot.com/2012/03/good-job-singapore-democratic-party.html>
Under The Willow Tree