[MyAppleMenu] Mar 11, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 11 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** It's The Battle Of The Read It Later Apps! Read It Later Vs. Instapaper Vs. Readability ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/03/its-the-battle-of-the-read-it-later-apps-read-it-later-vs-instapaper-vs-readability>
Christine Chan, AppAdvice

**** Les Moonves: Steve Jobs Approached CBS For Apple TV Content ****
<http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/leslie-moonves-steve-jobs-cbs-apple-tv-298300>
Matthew Belloni, The Hollywood Reporter

> "I told Steve, 'You know more than me about 99 percent of things but I know more about the television business,' " Moonves said, citing his concerns about providing content to a service that could disrupt CBS' existing revenue streams. Moonves said Jobs, in characteristic fashion, strongly disagreed with his assessment.

Didn't the Palm guys also claimed that they knew more about the phone business than Jobs?

**** A Day In The Life Of An Apple Event Liveblogger ****
<http://arstechnica.com/staff/forcequit/2012/03/a-day-in-the-life-of-an-apple-event-liveblogger.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> Do you ever find yourself wondering about the glamorous life of an Apple liveblogger? Do you imagine yourself as me, jet-setting across the country to bask in Apple CEO Tim Cook's presence while he presents the next product in Apple's lineup: a time traveling iPad that acts as a particle reactor on the side and can make your coffee in the morning?

> If so, you're in luck (and if not, you're uh, not in luck). The number of requests I receive from Ars readers and Twitter followers about what my daily life is like when I go to San Francisco has increased steadily over the years, so I made an attempt to document my activities as I traveled to cover the March 7 Apple event in which the company unveiled its third-generation iPad and Apple TV. So if your curiosity has been getting the better of you, have a seat and prepare yourself for a day (or three) in the life of yours truly when I'm covering Apple events.

**** Rethinking PowerPoint: The New Wave Of Presentation Tools ****
<http://betakit.com/2012/03/10/rethinking-powerpoint-the-new-wave-of-presentation-tools>
BetaKit

**** Apple Pioneer Brings Emotion To Google+ ****
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_20132893/apple-pioneer-brings-emotion-google-andy-hertzfeld>
Mike Swift, San Jose Mercury News

> Google+ was the first redesigned property in the Kennedy project, and Hertzfeld remains the heart of a four-person team that works across the Google+ staff to make sure aesthetic and functional design are woven into the social network.

**** Adventures Of A Teenage Polyglot ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/nyregion/a-teenage-master-of-languages-finds-online-fellowship.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
John Leland, New York Times

> Suddenly, Timothy had people to talk to in all his languages — not just native speakers, but also people like himself, who were interested in language for its own sake, a small but vibrant subculture of language geeks, one made possible only by the Internet.

**** When It Comes To Novels, It’s A Man’s World But A Woman’s Universe ****
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/books/when-it-comes-to-novels-its-a-mans-world-but-a-womans-universe/article2364396/>
John Barber, The Globe And Mail

> When Mary Anne Evans wanted to be taken seriously as a novelist, she gave herself a man’s name and wrote an essay, <i>Silly Novels by Lady Novelists</i>, lacerating the “feminine fatuity” that she saw cluttering the literary landscape of her day.

> Needless to say, George Eliot was never invited into the Oprah Book Club. But 150 years after Evans made her debut under that name, her gender-switching strategy remains all too plausible.

**** Jonathan Franzen And The Web Will Never Get Along ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/03/10/jonathan_franzen_and_the_web_will_never_get_along/>
David Daley, Salon

> Despite all of the ink spilled over Franzen of late, both in print and online, an important point has been missed. He is not out of touch. His opinion would not be any different if he actually spent time on Twitter before criticizing it. He wouldn’t feel any differently even if he was a struggling young writer who needed social media to market his work.

**** Roddy Doyle: The Joy Of Teaching Children To Write ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/mar/11/roddy-doyle-fighting-words-project?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Elizabeth Day, The Guardian

> The collective method of writing throws up some interesting suggestions. When asked what Dude the Vampire's greatest wish might be, a small girl in the front row with long dark hair, held back by a sparkly pink scrunchie, puts up her hand. "He wants to eat a monkey," she says.

**** The Titanic Still Offers Rich Pickings For Writers ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/mar/11/titanic-sinking-inspiration-lifeboat-rogan?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Robert McCrum, The Guardian

> The sinking of the Titanic almost exactly 100 years ago, on 15 April 1912, has become, for literature and storytelling, the gift that goes on giving.

**** The Last Fishing Village In Singapore ****
<http://remembersingapore.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/the-last-fishing-village-in-singapore/>
Remember Singapore

> Located at the mangrove area between Yishun Ave 1 (or commonly known as Yishun dam) and Pulau Punggol Barat, Seletar Fishing Village is probably one of the last places in Singapore where you can find local fishermen making a living by the sea.

> With plans to expand the connectivity between Yishun and the new Seletar Aerospace Park by the Land Transport Authority (LTA), Yishun dam is expected to be developed into a dual-lanes road by 2015 to cater for heavier traffic.

**** Colonel Nelson Yau Resigns Suddenly ****
<http://singaporeshortstories.blogspot.com/2012/03/colonel-nelson-yau-resigns-suddenly.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SingaporeShortStories+%28SINGAPORE+SHORT+STORIES%29>
Singapore Short Stories

**** Younger S'poreans Should Not Be Burdened With Taxes: K Shanmugam ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1188309/1/.html>
Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

> "We rather people keep their money and spend it as they like, buy insurance for their health and at the same time the government supports those who despite all the help, still need further help. So inclusive society."

**** Football Organsiser Say Team Cannot Where SDP Logo On Jersey ****
<http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/5172-football-organsiser-say-team-cannot-where-sdp-logo-on-jersey>
Singaore Democratic Party

> The organiser of the Yaacob Ibrahim football competition refused to allow the SDP Fushan Warriors to wear their team jerseys because they contain the SDP logo.

> In a previous tournament organised by the NTUC, Danny the Bear, who is also the teams mascot, was barred from the players tent.

> Such pettiness and small-mindedness is taken to a whole new level.

**** 新加坡星光部队在台代训30余年 被曝从未付过钱 ****
<http://military.china.com/news/02/11078237/20120311/17084175.html>
中国新闻网

> 军方人士指出,尽管军方未收星光部队费用,但星光部队在台营舍的整建等费用,都是自己负责,此外,星光部队只带武器装备,不带弹药,所需弹药则是直接向联勤采购。

> 另一位军方官员则表示,星光部队在台营舍都是新加坡自己出钱盖的,军方只是提供基地,如果营舍不再使用,新加坡就会移交赠送给军方,也不曾向我们要钱。他认为,双方真要算星光部队的费用,恐怕“算都算不清”。

**** Scenes From Singapore Part Deux: A Peek Inside The National Museum’s Fashion Exhibit “Shopping For Identity” ****
<http://nerissasnotebook.com/2012/03/10/scenes-from-singapore-part-deux-a-peek-inside-the-national-museums-fashion-exhibit-shopping-for-identity/>
Nerissa's Notebook

**** 1MB Travels: Singapore: Old Airport Road Hawker Center ****
<http://onemorebiteblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/1mb-travels-singapore-old-airport-road.html>
One More Bite Blog

> The interplay of slight heat from the robust bbq sauce with bitterness and crunch from delicate strips of onion with clear, smooth sweet and sour fish sauce, over the softest, flakiest but sweet and flavorful fish - was amazing.

**** A 4-Year Campaign For A Basic Right ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/community/item/524-a-4-year-campaign-for-a-basic-right>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> To the ordinary person, it was puzzling and indeed embarrassing to see that there was even a need to champion such a cause – a day off for workers is a norm in countries around the world. Singapore, sadly, was among the exceptions.

**** Anglers Unite ****
<http://mndsingapore.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/anglers-unite/>
Khaw Boon Wan, Singapore Government

> The best solution is for the community of anglers to take ownership of the jetty’s cleanliness, and prepare live bait the proper way, on chopping boards and dispose of any remnants thereafter. This way, every one, anglers or non anglers can enjoy the waterfront at all times.

> I forgot to say that Mr Abdul Rashid emailed Mr Vikram Nair to lobby against the ban on live bait. NParks is now working with him and his regular anglers to self-police, and get all to adopt the correct way of preparing live bait. This will then make the ban unnecessary and irrelevant.

**** Racial And Religious Offence: Why Censorship Doesn’t Cut It ****
<http://journalism.sg/2012/03/11/racial-and-religious-offence-why-censorship-doesn’t-cut-it/>
Cherian George, Journalism.sg

> Yes, we need to beware of offensive speech that is part of a deliberate campaign of hate-mongering. But let’s not be naïve. It’s not just giving offence, but also taking offence, that can be used as part of a political game.

**** 'Internet Community Should Self-regulate' ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120311-0000019/Internet-community-should-self-regulate>
Tan Weizhen, Today

> This call was made by panellists at a forum yesterday, which included nominated member of Parliament and Singapore Management University law professor Eugene Tan, Institute of Policy Studies adjunct senior research fellow Cherian George, and Chua Chu Kang GRC MP Zaqy Mohamad.

**** 国庆庆典总指挥 姚天福突然辞职 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120311_005.shtml>
孙伟伦, 联合早报