[MyAppleMenu] Mar 7, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 7 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** Elgato Offers Thunderbolt SSD ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/165709/2012/03/elgato_offers_thunderbolt_ssd.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> Elgato on Tuesday announced its entry into the storage market with its new Thunderbolt SSD, a solid-state drive designed for use with Macs equipped with a high-speed Thunderbolt connector.

**** How To Convert A POP Email Account To IMAP ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/165600/2012/03/how_to_convert_a_pop_email_account_to_imap.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> If you’ve been using a POP account, but have grown frustrated with inaccessible messages, you can usually convert your account to IMAP. Most hosting companies and providers offer both options. However, making this conversion requires that you take precautions so you don’t lose any messages. Here’s how to make the switch safely.

**** Your Kinect Is Watching You ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/gaming/2012/03/kinect_research_the_amazing_disturbing_things_your_gaming_console_can_learn_about_you_.html>
Jeremy Bailenson, Slate

> Though it’s designed for gaming, the Kinect can be modified to track other behaviors as well. As such, scientists throughout the world, including my team at Stanford’s Virtual Human Interaction Lab, are starting to study what the Kinect and other gaming systems reveal about you.

**** “Silent House”: One Movie, One Shot ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/03/06/silent_house_one_movie_one_shot/>
Jason Bailey, Salon

> And thus we arrive at the eventual (perhaps inevitable) destination of all that one-upmanship: Films done without cuts, entire stories told, seemingly, in one long take.

**** Electronic Mini-Books That Allow Writers To Stretch Their Legs ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/books/kindle-singles-genre-between-magazine-articles-and-books.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

> They’re the literary equivalent of a week’s sailing trip, not a Thor Heyerdahl slog across an ocean, with reader and writer lashed to the mast.

**** Why Moralism Spoils The Appetite ****
<http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/reviewofbooks_article/12154/>
Kirk Leech, Spiked

> Eating is one of life’s most enjoyable sensations. It’s fun and life-enhancing. Yet today, the pleasure of eating is increasingly weighed down with anxiety. Eating, once a relatively uncomplicated activity for many of us, has become laden with ethical and moral meaning and which has been tasked with grandiose political purpose.

**** Central 'On-call' Display To Cut Down Misuse: LTA ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120307-0000195/Central-on-call-display-to-cut-down-misuse--LTA>
Today

> Operators will need to equip their entire fleet with call booking capabilities, to allow them to identify taxis within the neighbourhood of a caller and assign call-booking jobs to taxis in the vicinity.

> Taxis will also need to be equipped with a centrally-controlled "On-Call" display, to minimise the misuse of "On-Call" taxi signs.

**** Man Survives In Singapore Through Social Media ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/man-survives-singapore-social-media-091822823.html>
Ewen Boey, Yahoo!

> Can one survive in a different country on social media alone? The answer would be "yes", albeit with some difficulty according to Martin Pasquier, who spent a week in Singapore with just a smartphone, 10 items in his backpack and no cash.

**** Bus Financing Framework To Be Refined ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1187557/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

> So going forward, consistent with what is done for the rail industry, the government will bear the development and land costs for bus depots and bus parking infrastructure, and lease these to bus operators at a nominal fee.

> This will also lower the entry barriers for new operators when contestability in the bus industry is introduced, as bus parking and depots are key infrastructure for running bus services.

**** Public Transport Operators To Deliver Higher Service Levels ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1187549/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew said in Parliament that more than half (300) the new buses will go towards reducing crowding and improving the frequencies of existing bus services. The rest will be deployed on new services.

Also: <a href="http://app.lta.gov.sg/corp_press_content.asp?start=pq39o5267vygb5drrhfa6uj0sgrola9k9p59rbwx7g14608n2v">800 New Buses to Increase Bus Capacity and Improve Services for Commuters</a> (Land Transport Authority, Singapore Government).

**** No Public Transport Fare Adjustments This Year: Lui Tuck Yew ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_774852.html>
Rachel Chang, Straits Times

> The current fare formula is due for review this year and implementation in 2013. While the review is ongoing, [minister for transport Lui Tuck Yew] said that he did not think that a fare adjustment should be implemented, although the Government is aware that the public transport operators are facing higher costs.

PAP government has always compared smaller annual increments with larger but less frequent increments in public transport fare. So, we should be expecting a much larger increment in 2013, right?

**** First-world Status, But So Hard To Give A Day Off? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120307-0000175/First-world-status,-but-so-hard-to-give-a-day-off?>
Shane Black, Today

> As an American living in Singapore for the past four years, it is disturbing to witness the lack of humanity and respect that locals have for the foreign workers who have built this modern city and care for its children.

**** MOE’s Mistake Ravages 11-Years Child’s Passion ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/03/moes-mistake-ravages-11-years-childs-passion/>
Think Centre, The Online Citizen

> Our country is spending millions of tax payer money to import foreign sportsman. But wasting education fund training and not letting Singaporean players do their best with wrong rulings.

**** MediShield Premiums To Increase Soon: Health Minister ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1187511/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> [Health minister Gan Kim Yong] told Parliament on Wednesday that the premiums need to be adequate to sustain MediShield members' claims and fund future liabilities.

**** A Short Reply To Mr Hri Kumar On The $1.1Bil Bus Package ****
<http://unbrandedbreadnbutter.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/a-short-reply-to-mr-hri-kumar-on-the-1-1bil-bus-package/>
Unbranded Bread N Butter

> We are glad that govt is finally looking at improving the bus system but surely there must be a long-term solution to the problem.

**** 新加坡老龄化问题严重 老人外出打工补贴家用 ****
<http://finance.sina.com.cn/world/yzjj/20120307/110611533313.shtml>
卞雨洁, 城市信报

> 在新加坡,服务场所随处可见打工的老年人 ,这一点对于当地人来说不足为奇,一个原因是新加坡这边老年人到六十岁没有一定数额的存款,政府将不提供某些保障,所以他们要出来工作,以达到政府的标准。另一个原因是新生儿的出生率太低,年轻人不愿意生小孩,所以说老龄化非常严重。

**** Watered Down Answers ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/03/watered-down-answers.html>
Singapore Notes

> Given his dismal credibility of the YOG record, what we really need is a full disclosure of the expenditures.

**** Vivian Balakrishnan Replies To Low Thia Khiang ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/03/vivian-balakrishnan-replies-to-low-thia.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** Singapore Changi’s Decision To Close Budget Terminal Could Backfire As Need For Third Runway Grows ****
<http://www.centreforaviation.com/analysis/singapore-changis-decision-to-close-budget-terminal-could-backfire-as-need-for-third-runway-grows-69323>
CAPA

> The closure of Changi’s Budget Terminal in Sep-2012 will result in the airport’s total handling capability shrinking by 10% during what could prove to be a challenging four-year period before the new hybrid Terminal 4 opens. Singapore also faces a pressing need to decide on the opening of Changi’s third runway, which is now only available to military aircraft, if it wants to stay ahead of the growth curve.

> Singapore and Changi have always made the investments to ensure there is plenty of space for growth and first class facilities for passengers. But the highly profitable airport has come under scrutiny over the last year: first for its unusual decision to start charging a tax for transit passengers and now for its decision to close its Budget Terminal only six years after it opened.

**** More Malays In Higher, Demanding SAF Roles ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/Parliament/Story/STIStory_774731.html>
Straits Times

**** Dr. Ng Eng Hen's Reply On The Defense Budget... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2012/03/dr-ng-eng-hens-reply-on-defense-budget.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

**** Police 'Must Disclose All To Prosecutors': Shanmugam ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/Parliament/Story/STIStory_774728.html>
Straits Times

> The police must disclose all evidence they have collected to the prosecution, which then decides what material makes it to court, said Law Minister K. Shanmugam on Tuesday.

> He was replying to a question by Workers' Party MP Sylvia Lim, who asked about the duties of disclosure between the police and the prosecution following a Court of Appeal judgment in the Ismil Kadar case.

**** A City Without Bookshops ****
<http://e27.sg/2012/03/07/a-city-without-bookshops-technology-led-disruptive-change-is-coming—at-last—to-singapore’s-publishing-industry/>
Peter Schoppert, e27

> So is the picture gloomy for local technopreneurs looking to build a business on the e-book revolution? Are all of the available spaces taken up by GLCs or global players? I don’t think so. Here are a few areas of opportunity that I see.

Personally, most of my book consumptions are now through audiobooks, which allows me to read books even when hanging onto my dear life while being squeezed in public transportation. Book discovery is through book reviews on various web sites as well as word-of-mouth through media such as Twitter and podcasts.

**** “Scholarships For Foreigners, Debts For Singaporeans”: Putting The Commentary In Perspective ****
<http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/scholarships-for-foreigners-debts-for-singaporeans-putting-the-commentary-in-perspective/>
Kwan Jin Yao, Guanyinmiao's Musings

**** The Bird Man Of Jurong ****
<http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2012/3/6/lifefocus/10255050&sec=lifefocus>
Natalie Heng, The Star

> Nine-year-old Raja Segran loves nature – and birds. Luckily for him, his family lives just down the road from the site, which is covered in nothing but lush jungle – great for hiking.

> Fast forward a few decades to the present, and Raja is 52 and general manager of the Jurong Bird Park. He has spent the last 35 years serving burgers, cleaning cages, training birds of prey, learning about animal husbandry and getting acquainted with the art of how to be a good leader.

**** Challenging Singapore's Defamation Laws ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203458604577264532773291426.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Kenneth Jeyaretnam, The Reform Party, Wall Street Journal

**** 组屋底层便利店 减至380个 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120307_036.shtml>
林诗慧, 联合早报

> 如今,全国的组屋底层小便利店已减至380个,主要是因为新业者需求不高。然而,这个数目近五年来相当稳定,租约更新率维持在九成以上水平。

Looks like the demand for such void-deck-shops is still there. It's just that HDB no longer builds them.

**** Key Lesson For HDB In Toh Yi Saga: Communicate Better ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_774536.html>
Jeremy Cheong, Straits Times

> The HDB has softened the discontent among residents by promising to build more facilities, and in doing so, has also shown that problems can be resolved. I hope it will better manage future communication with residents.

Be honest and listen better.

**** Unnecessary Personal Details In PAssion Card Application ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_774532.html>
Jane Soh, Straits Times

> A Passion card membership with the People's Association requires mandatory information on one's annual income, education level and the type of home one lives in.

> I cannot fathom the rationale for obtaining such information. These personal details are completely irrelevant for PAssion card usage.

**** Maids' Day Off Fuels Singapore Foreigners Debate ****
<http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/03/06/uk-singapore-foreigners-idUKLNE82501X20120306>
John O'Callaghan, Reuters

> A day off for maids was not popular among some Singaporeans, who cited fears about employees falling in with the wrong crowd or getting pregnant if given too much free time. One told the Straits Times newspaper it was "bad news" for women who work.

> "If I let her go out four days a month, it'll be very hectic for me," the woman said. "I need to rest on Sunday too."

Idiots are everywhere.
Also:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120307-0000044/Better-to-have-fortnightly,-monthly-day-off">Better To Have Fortnightly, Monthly Off</a> (Aileen Low, Today): Without them sometimes, we cannot function effectively.</li>
<li><a href="http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120307-0000058/Can-a-weekly-rest-day-work-in-Singapore?">Can A Weekly Rest Day Work In Singapore?</a> (Brenda Tham, Today): Employers who have had bad experiences with foreign maids would agree, which is why they opt for no days off.</li>
<li><a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_774534.html">Think Through Weekly Day-Off Policy For Maids</a> (Thng Tien Guan, Straits Times): Many citizens are heeding the government's call to have more children and to care for their parents. This is barely possible even with the daily assistance of a maid.</li>
</ul>
As I said, idiots are everywhere.