[MyAppleMenu] Jun 29, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 29 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Google To Blame For MacBook Air Crashing ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/06/29/google-to-blame-for-macbook-air-crashing/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

> Has your 2012 MacBook Air been crashing lately? If so, Google Chrome may be to blame. Google has confirmed that they are at fault for a kernel panic issue which is caused by a graphic resource leak within Chrome. A user in the Apple Support Communities has confirmed that this issue was a mix of the new Intel HD 4000 graphics chip set, Google Chrome and Flash.

**** Ask The iTunes Guy: Questions About Video ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167435/ask_the_itunes_guy_questions_about_video.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** The iTunes Effect, Seven Years Later: Podcasting In A World Where Apple Is Kingmaker ****
<http://www.niemanlab.org/2012/06/the-itunes-effect-seven-years-later-podcasting-in-a-world-where-apple-is-kingmaker/>
Andrew Phelps, Nieman Journalism Lab

> Podcasting pioneer Dave Winer asks whether the field needs a reboot.

**** Podcasts ****
<http://buzzingpixel.com/article/2012/06/podcasts>
TJ Draper, BuzzingPixel

> I’m still looking. Podcasts is definitely not the app I was looking for.

There's no playlist nn the iOS Podcasts app, as far as I can tell. Which I depend on over at iTunes for the Mac.

**** Chrome For iOS Review: Syncing Is Great, But Still Just A WebKit Wrapper ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/chrome-for-ios-review-syncing-is-great-but-still-just-a-webkit-wrapper/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Apple: Goodbye Hardware Engineering Head Bob Mansfield, Hello Dan Riccio ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/apple-goodbye-hardware-engineering-head-bob-mansfield-hello-dan-riccio/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> Apple is preparing to make Riccio its new senior VP of hardware engineering, replacing the current SVP Bob Mansfield. The company announced late Thursday that Mansfield is retiring from his post, and that Riccio will be transitioned into his position over a period of several months.

**** Google Chrome For iOS Now Available ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/google-chrome-for-ios-now-available/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

> Chrome for iOS, much like its Android relative, features draggable tabs and can sync preferences and bookmarks thanks to Chrome Sync support. This also means that credentials can be synced between desktop Chrome and your smartphone or tablet, letting you quickly log into your favorite sites.

**** Griffin's Kiosk iPad Mount Now Available ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/06/28/griffins-kiosk-ipad-mount-now-available/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** Apple’s International Obfuscation ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13090?rss>
Steve McCabe, TidBITS

> Even after I made it quite abundantly clear that I am quite reasonably techno-literate, I still encountered the hand-wavy “Oh, it’s technical, sonny” answers that added up to little more than “Look, we’re not going to tell you anything.” Or, if I were to be charitable, I could assume simply that neither Manchester Genius nor Matt the Senior Advisor really knew what they were talking about in the slightest, and were just grasping at jargon straws to get me off the line rather than admitting their ignorance.

> Either way, Apple, I expect better.

**** Looking East To Predict The Next Billion-Dollar Mobile Company ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20120628/looking-east-to-predict-the-next-billion-dollar-mobile-company/>
Joe Medved, All Things D

**** In Dave Eggers’s ‘Hologram For The King,’ American Dream Is Deferred ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-world-in-dave-eggerss-hologram-for-the-king-american-dream-is-deferred/2012/06/27/gJQAVLCc7V_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Michael Dirda, Washington Post

> But put aside such unworthy thoughts, and what do we actually have here? A diverting, well-written novel about a middle-aged American dreamer, joined to a critique of how the American dream has been subverted by outsourcing our know-how and manufacturing to third-world nations.

**** Government Looks After All S'poreans: PM Lee ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1210736/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Lee said the government has been managing social challenges across the board, regardless of race, language or religion.

**** Singapore Wants Foreign Banks To Go Local ****
<http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/06/29/singapore-banks-idINL3E8HT0BF20120629>
Reuters

> The move is part of a growing trend by local regulators around the world to protect their home turf by forcing global banks to "ring-fence" their retail operations in overseas markets.

> Hong Kong and China already have similar rules in place and other countries, including Thailand, have signalled they have similar intentions. They want to ensure that if a foreign bank runs into trouble, it won't protect its core domestic business at the expense of its overseas retail customers.

**** SingPost To Pay A Whopping $50,000 Fine If They Fail To Deliver On Time ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/media-marketing/news/singpost-pay-whopping-50000-fine-if-they-fail-deliver-time>
Singapore Business Review

**** S'pore's Death Penalty Practice Raised At UN Consultation ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/656-spores-death-penalty-practice-raised-at-un-consultation>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

**** US Exempts China, Singapore From Iran Sanctions ****
<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jVv7JIumjwLzdbKLxibmAuTCNV3Q?docId=CNG.1b5f582d499ddcbc132bb7f3eb3290a8.271>
Shaun Tandon, AFP

> Secretary of state Hillary Clinton ruled that China and Singapore had "significantly reduced" their crude oil purchases from Iran, granting them exemptions on the final day before sanctions take effect.

**** Hong Kong Vs Singapore: Who’s Getting Ahead? ****
<http://singaporearmchaircritic.wordpress.com/2012/06/27/hong-kong-vs-singapore-whos-getting-ahead/>
Singapore Armchair Critic

**** The IMF Loan And The Office Of The President ****
<http://article14.blogspot.sg/2012/06/imf-loan-and-office-of-president.html>
Article 14

**** Speed Boost For Free Island-wide Public Wi-Fi Network ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_816467.html>
Irene Tham, Straits Times

> The slowness of the Wireless at SG network has been a major bugbear among users since its launch six years ago.

I do wonder whether the free wi-fi network has been beneficial to both consumers and service providers.

**** Some Foreign Banks Will Need To Set Up Local Entity ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_816458.html>
Alvin Foo, Straits Times

**** Measure Wage Targets In Hourly Pay, Not Gross Total ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_816293.html>
Leong Sze Hian, Straits Times

> Wage targets should be measured in terms of basic pay per hour, instead of just the total gross wage.

> Using the example of security guards, their higher pay may be due to their having the highest average paid overtime hours, at 14.5 hours a week, where a 72-hour work week is typical.

The PAP government seems so reluctant to really nail down on this issue on minimum wages.