[MyAppleMenu] Jun 26, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 26 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Apple Will Only Reinstate Mute Kids' App If Makers Win Patent Case ****
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/26/app_/>
Anna Leach, The Register

**** Why The Apple Demographic Is So Important To Orbitz And Retailers ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/06/26/why-the-apple-demographic-is-so-important-to-orbitz-and-retailers/>
Dana Mattioli, Wall Street Journal

> Nearly half of retailers in a recent study by Forrester Research and Shop.org said users of tablets – who by a large majority are iPad owners – tend to place bigger online orders on average than users of laptops or desktops. Shoppers on Apple devices like iPhones also outspend shoppers using Android or Blackberry devices, according to IBM, which tracks data from retailers.

> And while there are twice as many mobile gamers on Android devices in the U.S. as there are on iPhone and iPads, the amount spent by Apple gamers is five times higher than Android gamers, according to international gaming market research firm Newzoo.

**** Ultimate MacBook Air 2012 Models Put To The Test ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167418/ultimate_macbook_air_2012_models_put_to_the_test.html#lsrc.rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

> While the BTO system ended up costing us 50 percent more than the stock high-end model, it boosted overall performance by 21 percent. Every single test we ran benefitted from the extra RAM, extra storage, extra processing power, or a combination of the upgrades.

**** Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.2 Full Of Power Features ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167342/nisus_writer_pro_2_0_2_full_of_power_features.html#lsrc.rss_main>
William Porter, Macworld

> True, Pages does a fair bit of what Nisus Writer Pro does and costs less. But Nisus Writer Pro’s higher price is still not unreasonable. And there are things about Nisus Writer Pro’s user interface (like writing in Draft View) and about its special features (including PowerFind) that I, at least, find hard to resist. And although I don’t need Nisus Writer Pro’s long-document features often, I think it makes sense to spend a few more dollars and get Nisus Writer Pro. On the other hand, if you love the Nisus Writer user interface including the powerful find feature but don’t need the other power-user features, take a look at Nisus Writer Express instead.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.macworld.com/article/1167325/nisus_writer_express_3_4_1_is_a_solid_word_processor_lacks_high_powered_features.html#lsrc.rss_main">Nisus Writer Express 3.4.1 is a solid word processor, lacks high-powered features</a> (William Porter, Macworld)

**** Is Apple Underpaying Its Retail Employees? ****
<http://business.time.com/2012/06/26/is-apple-underpaying-its-apple-store-employees/>
Christopher Matthews, Time

> Our economy is going through trying times, and every hardworking laborer in America and across the globe could use some added pay. And there is plenty of reason to believe that corporations need to change their attitude toward labor expenses. But the force that will be most effective in creating that change is the force of self-interest. It is difficult to create a retail-shopping experience that will separate you from the pack if you have underpaid and unhappy employees. And to this point, I don’t think it’s fair to say that Apple has this problem.

**** Apple Steals From Windows Update Playbook For OS X Mountain Lion ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228516/Apple_steals_from_Windows_Update_playbook_for_OS_X_Mountain_Lion?source=rss_operatingsystems>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> Apple will boost the frequency of security updates in OS X Mountain Lion and automatically install required patches for users, steps that bring it into line with Microsoft's practices.

Good for Microsoft for having good security that is worth copying, and good for Apple for not having the not-invented-here pride.

**** On Orbitz, Mac Users Steered To Pricier Hotels ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304458604577488822667325882.html?mod=djemalertTECH>
Dana Mattioli, Wall Street Journal

> Orbitz Worldwide Inc. has found that people who use Apple Inc.'s Mac computers spend as much as 30% more a night on hotels, so the online travel agency is starting to show them different, and sometimes costlier, travel options than Windows visitors see.

It is time to kill the User Agent string.
Also:
• <a href="http://scripting.com/stories/2012/06/25/1FeatureForIpad.html">#1 feature request for iPad</a> (Dave Winer, Scripting News)

**** Looking At Art On The iPad ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/06/25/looking_at_art_on_the_ipad/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> Sometimes, when people ask me how useful my iPad is (meaning: compared to a laptop), I’m at a bit of a loss. How do you measure the utility of taking a ten-minute break to dip into Fotopedia’s spread on the Alhambra or to glance at the Guardian’s photo of the day? Hours of reading and writing can leave even the most bookish person starved for images and color. The iPad is a relaxation and consumption device for me (the laptop = work), but it provides a refreshment of eye, mind and spirit that surely do me more good than a whole suite of productivity software. I use it to look at art.

A book is not a content-creation device. (Please don't write your next mathematical proof in the margins.) But without books, we will never have the wealth of ideas created in the world today.

**** Answering Questions About Sandboxing, Gatekeeper, And The Mac App Store ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13071?rss>
Rich Mogull, TidBITS

> Apple’s real goal with these changes, especially with the combination of the Mac App Store, sandboxing, and Gatekeeper, is to disrupt the economics that keep the bad guys in business, rather than fighting a never-ending series of one-off skirmishes.

I like sandboxing and Gatekeeper. And I don't buy the slippery-slope argument that all these will lead to we only getting apps from the App Store. I don't that intention in Apple, and I don't see that intention in many customers.

**** Apple Warns MobileMe Users They Have Just 7 Days Before Service's Death ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228473/Apple_warns_MobileMe_users_they_have_just_7_days_before_service_s_death?source=rss_operatingsystems>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> In an email to MobileMe subscribers on Saturday, Apple reminded them that they have just seven days to download their files and photographs from the service's iDisk and Gallery sections, respectively, and to move their websites from the iWeb portion of MobileMe.

**** Three Quick Browser Tips ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167327/three_quick_browser_tips.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** What Exactly Does The Finder's Green Button Do? ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167413/green_button_huh.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> The button is designed to show you as much information in a single window as is practical. It just happens that there’s a measure of leeway in how that’s interpreted and achieved.

Also available under the "Window" > "Zoom" menu, this is one of the most misunderstood user interface of Mac.

**** A Conversation With Bill Gates About The Future Of Higher Education ****
<http://chronicle.com/article/A-Conversation-With-Bill-Gates/132591/?cid=wc>
Jeffrey R. Young, The Chronicle Of Higher Education

**** Classroom Lectures Go Digital ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/25/us/25iht-educside25.html?_r=1&gwh=B5D61BF7902859DB92B4952B85B4A83F>
Michael Fitzpatrick, New York Times

> The virtual teacher has arrived — flickering away on a screen on a school bus, in a bunk bed or in the shade of a beach umbrella, and turning traditional education on its head.

**** How A Tech Non-Profit Became The Hottest Ticket In Silicon Valley ****
<http://www.wired.com/business/2012/06/khan-academy>
Ryan Tate, Wired

> At Khan, none of the staff can hope for a fast fortune. What they can realistically hope for is to shape a nascent industry and to markedly improve the lives of millions of students. It turns out that means a lot.

**** Two Case Studies In Feeds ****
<http://scripting.com/stories/2012/06/25/aCaseStudyInFeeds.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

> Too many developers are trying to recreate the RSS-o-Sphere inside little bottles, and miss that the value comes from being able to connect anything up to anything.

**** Hospital ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/poem/2012/06/_hospital_by_charles_webb_.html>
Charles Webb, Slate

**** Another Life ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2012/07/02/120702fi_fiction_lafarge>

Paul La Farge, New Yorker

**** Singapore Wants Florida Brainpower ****
<http://floridabiotechnews.com/florida/singapore-wants-florida-brainpower/9825/>
Florida Biotechnology News

**** Singaporean Asks Goh Chok Tong: Do You Understand The Consequence Of Opening The Floodgates Wide To Foreigners? ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/singaporean-asks-goh-chok-tong-do-you-understand-the-consequence-of-opening-the-floodgates-wide-to-foreigners/>
Jack Lam, The Temasek Times

> Your statement implies that you and LHL opened the immigration floodgate without really understanding the full 360-degree consequences.

> The issue is – no other country including immigrant friendly countries such as US, Australia, Canada allows reckless immigration without any consideration for its own citizens which has nearly destroyed core social fabric of the society.

**** Meet Mr Brown, Singapore’s Blogfather ****
<http://www.meldmagazine.com.au/2012/06/meet-mr-brown-singapores-blogfather/>
Diane Leow, Meld Magazine

**** MOE To Revise School Sexuality Education Programmes ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1210005/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> The Growing Years curriculum, which addresses issues related to relationships and media influences, will now include a greater focus on social networking, its dangers, and what teenagers can do to protect themselves.

**** How Singapore Policed The Foreign Press ****
<http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4631&Itemid=164>
Todd Crowell, Asia Sentinel

> Not much has changed in the 25 years since Operation Spectrum. Asiaweek and FEER have ceased publication, but many others, such as Time, Newsweek the Wall Street Journal and others still circulate in the republic, doing their best in a difficult environment. Officially, the government continues to maintain that it is a “privilege and not a right” for foreign publications to circulate in Singapore.

> Since 2006 foreign publications have been required to post a large deposit and appoint somebody to represent the publication in Singapore - in other words somebody the government can sue. Just last year a British writer named Alan Shadrake was jailed for six weeks concerning his book, Once a Jolly Hangman, critical of the way Singapore enforces the death penalty, especially in cases of trafficking in drugs. The court ruled that the book impugned the integrity of the judiciary.

**** Inquiry Found Misconduct And Mismanagement In The City Harvest Church ****
<http://app1.mcys.gov.sg/PressRoom/InquiryfoundmisconductandmismanagementinCHC.aspx>
Ministry Of Community Development, Youth And Sports, Singapore Government

> COC’s Inquiry revealed misconduct and mismanagement in the administration of the Charity, particularly in relation to the funds that were in the Building Fund which had been raised and earmarked for specific purposes. Financial irregularities of at least $23 million from the Charity’s funds have been discovered. These funds were used with the purported intention to finance Ho Yeow Sun’s secular music career to connect with people. There was a concerted effort to conceal this movement of funds from its stakeholders.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1209942/1/.html">CAD arrests 5 City Harvest Church members, including Pastor Kong Hee</a> (Channel NewsAsia)

**** STOMP - A Cesspool Of Disgrace To Citizen Journalism ****
<http://publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/650-stomp-a-cesspool-of-disgrace-to-citizen-journalism>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> The government has expressed its concerns of anti-foreigner or xenophobic sentiments expressed online and it has often pointed the fingers at bloggers or netizens. Yet, in its own backyard – SPH is after all ultimately owned by the government itself – is this cesspool which it refuses to clean up first.

> Truth is STOMP is no citizen journalism endeavour. It is a voyeuristic site which grabs eyeballs through sensationalism.

**** ESM Goh : Do Immigrants Create Jobs? ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/06/esm-goh-do-immigrants-create-jobs.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> It is strange that ESM Goh is asking the question now since he was the one who allowed the large influx to take place under his leadership. Shouldn't such questions be asked before policies are implemented?

**** Number Of Households That Can Afford A S$1M- Condo Jumped By A Whopping 86% ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/residential-property/news/number-households-can-afford-s1m-condo-jumped-whopping-86>
Singapore Business Review

**** Former SPH SVP Peter Khoo Charged With Corruption ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1209913/1/.html>
Alvina Soh, Channel NewsAsia

> He is accused of taking illegal payments and misappropriating shopping vouchers handled by his editorial projects unit.

**** It Should Be The Last Resort ****
<http://www.mysinchew.com/node/74773>
Tay Tian Yan, Sin Chew Daily

> The Malaysian government has many taboos when it comes to matters related to the rally. While concerning about international perception, it is also worrying about the involvement of foreign interests. It is a bit sensitive to find foreigners at the rally. The Singapore authorities should have been more aware of this.

Singapore government, in my opinion, has handled this issue badly. Given Singapore's insistence on similar no-foreigner rules in Speakers Corner, it should have been more sensitive and cautious'. Furthermore, the two different explanations given by the Singapore government made things worse.

**** More Fights Break Out On Buses And Trains ****
<http://news.insing.com/tabloid/fights-on-buses-and-trains/id-23523f00>
Lianhe Wanbao & Shin Min Daily News

**** Feeling Stomped All Over ****
<http://berthahenson.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/feeling-stomped-all-over/>
Bertha Harian

> I am terribly upset over the Stomp fiasco. Anyone who is or has ever been a journalist should be. Ethical standards have to be maintained, ingrained in all levels of journalists if I am to trust whatever MSM is saying. It’s wrong to fake stuff. And its wrong to let stuff through without checking. It’s not just Stomp which should clean house, the newspapers have to do the same too. Social media has made life harder, but really the checks are still the same. Maintain them.

There is something very wrong when the comparison is made between a "journalist from a blogger". Journalism is what you do, and blogging is what you do it on. You can be both. (Or you can be neither, even when what you wrote is read by many.)

**** STOMP In The Dumps ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/06/toc-editorial-stomp-in-the-dumps/>
The Online Citizen

> What happened in STOMP is not representative at all of genuine citizen journalism. Genuine citizen journalism does not rely on paid staff masquerading as “members of the public”.

> If SPH wants to restore any modicum of credibility to STOMP, they must clear the air on how STOMP operates and state measures SPH will implement in response to this fiasco.

**** The Spirit Of Hougang ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7707>
Wong Wee Nam, Sgpolitics.net

**** Recall Diplomatic Staff, Perkasa Tells Singapore ****
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/6/26/nation/11547574&sec=nation>
Shaun Ho, The Star

> Speaking at a press conference later, Ibrahim said they would not pressure the Singapore government to fulfil their demands but would “wait and see” how best the republic would handle the issue.

**** Students From China Feel Alienated By Singaporeans, Says Scholar ****
<http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120626-355356.html>
Joy Fang, My Paper

**** SMRT Treating Fake Photo Case Seriously ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_815105.html>
Straits Times

> Mr Goh Chee Kong, its senior vice-president for communications and services, told The Straits Times that SMRT is considering its response to the matter.

**** Homeless In Singapore? ****
<http://leongszehian.com/?p=1666>
Leong Sze Hian

**** Singapore A Republic Or Singapore Inc.? ****
<http://short-comment.blogspot.sg/2012/06/singapore-republic-or-singapore-inc.html>
Just My Short Comment

**** Is There Still A Need For NS? ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2012/06/is-there-still-need-for-ns.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> It is so strange that we have arrived at such a scenario as a nation, a country, when we are no longer a nation, a country, but a hotel. A hotel only needs to employ security guards like the Gurkhas. At best we are just a city state for citizens of the world.

> Time to ask the NS men what do you think, or what are you defending?

The idea of National Service is so entirely out of sync with everything else we're doing.

**** Reconsider Ban On Drinking Water In MRT ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120626-0000060/Reconsider-ban-on-drinking-water-in-MRT>
Elvin Yeo Wee Kiat, Today