[MyAppleMenu] Jun 15, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 15 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** How Apple Store Seduces You With The Tilt Of Its Laptops ****
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/carminegallo/2012/06/14/why-the-new-macbook-pro-is-tilted-70-degrees-in-an-apple-store/>
Carmine Gallo, Forbes

> You might think that Apple positions all its notebook computers for aesthetic reasons. That’s partly true. The tables are uncluttered and the products are clean. But the main reason notebook computers screens are slightly angled is to encourage customers to adjust the screen to their ideal viewing angle—in other words, to touch the computer!

**** MacBook Pro Retina Display Analysis ****
<http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis>
Anand Lal Shimpi, AnandTech

**** Ask The iTunes Guy: Smart Playlists ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167276/ask_the_itunes_guy_smart_playlists.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** MacBook Pro With Retina Display Redefines The Concept Of A “Pro” Laptop ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167286/macbook_pro_with_retina_display_redefines_the_concept_of_a_pro_laptop.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> With the Retina MacBook Pro, Apple once again proves it is a company that refuses to sit still and get comfortable. It redefined the ultraportable laptop with the MacBook Air, and has now altered the concept of the “pro” laptop. Going lighter and smaller was expected, given how Apple does things, but the change in feature set will have current MacBook Pro owners reexamining their needs.

> The Retina MacBook Pro, however, is the future of Apple’s laptop line—and it’s a bright, shinning symbol of excellence. The Retina display is something to be marveled at, and the lightweight, smaller design addresses the demand for our devices to be even more portable. You’ll have to make a few adjustments, but fortunately, you don’t have to sacrifice performance. The Retina MacBook Pro is quite a remarkable laptop.

**** Sandvox 2.6 Extracts iWeb Site Content ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13070?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** Apple Adds Gay And Lesbian Couple Icons To iOS 6 ****
<http://gizmodo.com/5918381>
Jesus Diaz, Gizmodo

> The icons are placed next to the previous relationship-related emojis showing a heterosexual couple holding hands and a heterosexual couple with a son. One shows two men holding hands. The other shows two women in the same position.

Good. But I do wonder how this will play out in other lesser countries.

**** Faceoff: 13" MacBook Pro Vs 13" MacBook Air ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/faceoff-13-macbook-pro-vs-13-macbook-air/>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

> The MacBook Air costs a premium for its extra portability. Considering how well it sells, plenty of customers think it is worth the extra price. For someone constantly on the go that doesn't need things like an optical drive, FireWire, Ethernet, or the widest color gamut available, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 13" MacBook Air.

> In the end, however, the 13" MacBook Pro is the better value—you simply get more for your money.

**** Heat And Fan Noise From The Retina MacBook Pro ****
<http://www.marco.org/2012/06/14/retina-macbook-pro-heat-fan-noise>
Marco Arment

> Effectively, heat and fan volume are the same as the previous model, but the fan noise has a less irritating tone. If the previous 15” MacBook Pro design was too hot or loud for your preferences, the Retina model probably will be, too.

**** Geofencing Alerts To Come To Find My Friends This Fall ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167267/geofencing_alerts_to_come_to_find_my_friends_this_fall.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> This fall, you can stop asking your friend “Are you here yet?”—your phone will tell you for them. According to Apple’s iOS 6 website, the company’s Find My Friends app is set to add a new geofencing notification system with iOS 6. This will let you set up an alert for any of your Find My Friends contacts; when they leave or arrive at a given location, you’ll receive an alert or banner notification.

I wish Find My Friends app can also help pinpoint the location of my wife in a busy food court without me wandering all over the place.

**** Chrome Vs. Safari Browsers On The MacBook Pro's Retina Display ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/12/3079887/retina-display-new-macbook-pro-apps>
Sam Byford, The Verge

**** Skype 5.8 For Mac Adds Simpler Contact List, More ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167268/skype_5_8_for_mac_adds_simpler_contact_list_more.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Snow Leopard On A New Retina-display MacBook Pro? Nuh Uh ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167280/snow_leopard_mbp.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> You can go forward in the form of Mountain Lion when it ships, but you can’t go back to a previous version such as Snow Leopard. (This is largely about video drivers present in Lion that are missing in Snow Leopard.)

This has almost always been the case for Apple computers.

**** Three Great Folder Actions ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167277/three_great_folder_actions.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> OS X’s Folder Actions let you attach AppleScripts to specific folders so actions are performed automatically as soon as you add items to the folders. Once you know the basics of how Folder Actions work, you’ll inevitably start wondering what cool things they can do for you. Here are three interesting Folder Actions to try out.

Print files automatically, automatically add Spotlight comments, and automatically compress files.

**** Ruby, Clojure, And Ceylon: Same Goal, Three Very Different Results ****
<http://www.infoworld.com/d/application-development/ruby-clojure-and-ceylon-same-goal-three-very-different-results-195473>
Andrew Oliver, InfoWorld

**** The Importance Of Good Editing ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jun/14/importance-good-book-editing>
Rick Gekoski, The Guardian

> As long as the writer's wishes are taken into account, most manuscripts benefit from a judicious edit.

**** The Evolution Of Religion ****
<http://www.the-american-interest.com/article.cfm?piece=1270>
Charles Mathewes, The American Interest

> We will probably need all the help we can get in understanding the various modes of human religiosity in the world, and this is a need that applies equally, if somewhat differently, for religious believers and non-believers alike.

**** Police Commissioner Not Acquainted With Esther Goh: Police ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1207821/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Police have clarified that its commissioner Mr Ng Joo Hee is not acquainted with Ms Esther Goh, who is implicated in the sex-for-favours corruption case of former civil defence force chief, Peter Lim.

> The police said Mr Ng deeply regrets that the photograph has been "misused by irresponsible persons online as a basis for making vulgarities, inanities and all manner of mischievous innuendos".

**** Singapore Could Be Worst-hit Asian Economy In Full-blown Euro Crisis ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1207646/1/.html>
Pamela Koh, Channel NewsAsia

> Singapore's exports to the eurozone directly account for more than 12 per cent of its GDP, and private sector holdings of eurozone debt and equities are the highest in the world outside of Hong Kong.

**** Signs Govt Moving On From “Let The Buyer Beware”? ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/06/15/signs-govt-moving-on-from-let-the-buyer-beware/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor