[MyAppleMenu] Jul 27, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jul 27 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Ask The iTunes Guy: Grab Bag ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167897/ask_the_itunes_guy_grab_bag.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** Apple Security Guru Lays Out iPad, iPhone Crypto Architecture At Black Hat ****
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/072612-apple-security-guru-lays-out-261202.html?hpg1=bn>
Ellen Messmer, Network World

> A top Apple security guru Thursday presented an in-depth view into the security architecture for iOS, the basis of iPhones and iPad tablets, underscoring the complex certificate-based encryption framework Apple has adopted.

> “Our attitude is security is an architecture,” said Apple platform security manager Dallas De Atley, adding, “It’s not something you sprinkle over your code when it’s done.”

**** Apple Acquires Fingerprint Scanner Firm AuthenTec ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167917/apple_acquires_fingerprint_scanner_firm_authentec.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Calm Down, 10.8'S AirPlay Restrictions Are Technical - Not Planned Obsolescence ****
<http://www.zdnet.com/calm-down-10-8s-airplay-restrictions-are-technical-not-planned-obsolescence-7000001695/>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

**** How To Remove Apps From The Dock In OS X Mountain Lion ****
<http://www.splatf.com/2012/07/mountainlion-dock-apps/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+splatf+%28SplatF%29>
Dan Frommer, SplatF

> You can still pull the apps off, but you have to hold them for a few seconds in mid-air and drag them further away before they go poof.

**** Turns Out Apple Conducts Market Research After All ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/07/26/turns-out-apple-conducts-market-research-after-all/>
Jessica E. Vascellaro, Wall Street Journal

> The study points to Apple’s concern about the growth of Android, which eclipsed the iPhone in overall smartphone shipments that year. The big takeaways: Chinese customers remain some of the most enthusiastic about various iPhone features. And Apple’s brand and the design were far bigger drivers of iPhone purchases than software features and apps.

**** It’s Not Just The Geeks Like Us ****
<http://www.marco.org/2012/07/26/not-just-geeks>
Marco Arment

> Geeks aren’t the only people who have the problems that these apps solve, and we’re not the only people who can figure out how to find, buy, and use these tools. Give the rest of the computer-owning world some credit.

> This isn’t about a few geeks being inconvenienced. It’s about a very large number of Mac users, far beyond geeks, being discouraged from buying (or being unable to buy) the software they need from the Mac App Store, and why that’s not in Apple’s best long-term interests.

**** New Mac Malware Eavesdrops On Users, Requires No Password To Install ****
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/07/mac-spying-malware/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> Researchers have unearthed new malware that turns a Mac into a remote spying platform that is able to intercept e-mail and instant-message communications. The malware uses internal microphones and cameras to spy on people in the vicinity of the OS X machine.

**** Podcasts For iOS Remains Hard To Use After Recent Fixes ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/podcasts-for-ios-remains-hard-to-use-after-recent-fixes/>
Iljitsch van Beijnum, Ars Technica

**** The Mac App Store’s Future ****
<http://mrgan.tumblr.com/post/28058883006/the-mac-app-stores-future>
Neven Mrgan’s Tumbl

> But put the two facts together—the loss of casual users to iOS, and the loss of non-casual apps on the App Store—and it starts to look like a problem.

**** Up Close With Mountain Lion: Contacts And Calendars ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167894/up_close_with_mountain_lion_contacts_and_calendars.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** OS X Dashboard: Can It Be Revived, Or Is It Destined To Be A Ghost Town? ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-dashboard-can-it-be-revived-or-is-it-destined-to-be-a-ghost-town/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> Trust me when I say it is not an easy feat finding sources to speak to on this subject—it's not like trying to find an iOS developer. You bump into twelve of those every time you turn a corner. From the outset, this angle was a challenge, only highlighting how barren the Dashboard widget landscape really is in 2012. Don't these guys feel lonely?

**** Clearing Up Mountain Lion Confusion ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167901/clearing_up_mountain_lion_confusion.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Up Close With Mountain Lion: Notes ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167895/up_close_with_mountain_lion_notes.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** The Mac App Store’s Future Of Irrelevance ****
<http://www.marco.org/2012/07/26/mac-app-store-future>
Marco Arment

> But now, I’ve lost all confidence that the apps I buy in the App Store today will still be there next month or next year. The advantages of buying from the App Store are mostly gone now. My confidence in the App Store, as a customer, has evaporated.

**** Safari 6 Available For Mountain Lion And Lion, But Not Windows ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167904/safari_6_available_for_mountain_lion_and_lion_but_not_windows.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> Though Apple’s statement doesn’t explicitly say that Safari 6 will <i>never</i> be available for Windows users, we don’t suggest Ballmer fans hold their breath: While Safari remains the dominant browser for Mac users, its market share on the Windows side has never managed to eke above a blip.

**** Mountain Lion’s iCloud Puts Life, Documents In Sync ****
<http://www.suntimes.com/business/14012285-420/moutain-lions-icloud-puts-life-documents-in-sync.html>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

> It’s high-time to strip away all of those unnecessary steps and concepts. It’s time for the OS to step in and make sense of it all. iCloud document syncing is a huge step towards the ideal of never having to care about how, or where, or when, I saved a document. I just sit and work, and my device makes sure that the document I want is on the device I’m using at the time I want it.

**** How To Evaluate A (Paid) iPhone App Idea ****
<http://www.tonywright.com/2012/how-to-evaluate-a-paid-iphone-app-idea/>
Tony Wright's Startup Front End

> If what you want is a bootstrapped freedom-from-employment effort or are passionate about an idea that’s a lousy fit for in-app purchases, paid apps are a great path.

**** Watch What Apple’s OS Update Did To One Network’s Traffic ****
<http://gigaom.com/2012/07/25/watch-what-apples-os-update-did-to-one-networks-traffic/>
Om Malik, GigaOM

> Apple fans seem to love Mountain Lion OS X which launched earlier today. And evidence of that love is found in the sharp spike in download traffic from iTunes and Mac App Store. Here is a snapshot of what the downloads look like on a network.

**** Being A Developer Makes You Valuable. Learning How To Market Makes You Dangerous ****
<http://talsraviv.com/2012/07/26/being-a-developer-makes-you-valuable.-learning-how-to-market-makes-you-dangerous/>
Customers Over Code

**** Let’s Hear It For The C Train ****
<http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/lets-hear-it-for-the-c-train/?smid=tw-nytmetro&seid=auto>
Anthony Dejarnette, New York Times

**** In Singapore, Vitriol Against Chinese Newcomers ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/world/asia/in-singapore-vitriol-against-newcomers-from-mainland-china.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Andrew Jacobs, New York Times

> Tensions over immigration bedevil many nations, but what makes the clash here particularly striking is that most of Singapore’s population was already ethnic Chinese, many of them the progeny of earlier generations of Chinese immigrants.

> The tenor of the debate has unnerved some Chinese immigrants, and angered others.

**** Don’t Wear Yum-yum Yellow ****
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v34/n15/theo-tait/dont-wear-yum-yum-yellow?src=longreads>
Theo Tait, London Review Of Books

> ‘Many scientists don’t like to talk about shark sex,’ Juliet Eilperin writes in her entertaining study of sharks and their world. ‘They worry it will only reinforce the popular perception that these creatures are brutish and unrelenting.’ In as far as we understand the subject – only a few species have been observed mating – the business is ‘very rough’.

**** Grief, Rage, Cognac, And A Computer ****
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2012/aug/16/grief-rage-cognac-and-computer/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Alan Hollinghurst, The New York Review Of Books

> Peter Carey is an astonishing capturer of likenesses—not only in the sense of the portrait (the “good likeness”), but of the teeming similitudes with which a sharp eye and a rich memory discern and describe the world. Simile and metaphor, which are at the heart of poetry, are a less certain presence in prose fiction, in some novelists barely deployed at all, but in Dickens, for instance (with whom Carey is repeatedly compared), they are vital and unresting elements of the novelist’s vision.

**** Taxis Out Of COE Bidding Process From August ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1216123/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah/Karen Ng, Channel NewsAsia

> The move is in response to feedback that taxi operators may have influence on COE prices, said Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew on Friday.

> And to ensure that these operators use their fleets better, the number of COEs they are entitled to will be tied to taxi availability standards.

**** M Ravi Files Letters Of Complaints To Law Society ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1216116/1/.html>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

**** Seven Town Councils To Increase Service And Conservancy Charges ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1216105/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

> The town councils are Bishan-Toa Payoh, Chua Chu Kang, East Coast, Holland-Bukit Panjang, Tanjong Pagar, Tampines and West Coast.

> The town councils said that they are facing increased costs, especially in electricity, maintenance and cleaning. They added that other town councils that also face cost pressures would have to decide on the increase in the future.

**** Many New PRs, Citizens Young, Well-qualified ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120727-0000051/Many-new-PRs,-citizens-young,-well-qualified>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

> Immigration statistics revealed by the Government for the first time showed that, between 2007 and last year, the majority of those granted citizenship and permanent residence were not economically active - with the number of dependents outstripping working individuals.

**** Percentage Of Singapore Citizens Declined From 86.1% (1990) To 62.2% (2011) ****
<http://nathanielkoh.blogspot.sg/2012/07/percentage-of-singapore-citizens.html>
The Power To Inspire

**** Residents Make Up Bulk Of PMETs ****
<http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120727-361638.html>
Adrian Lim, My Paper

> Foreigners make up around one in five of Singapore's mid- to higher-skilled workforce, or what is called the professionals, managers, executives and technicians (PMETs) group.

**** Millions Of Immigrants Cause Tension In Singapore ****
<http://www.npr.org/2012/07/26/157444012/millions-of-immigrants-cause-tension-in-singapore>
Anthony Kuhn, NPR

> "Singapore has always been an immigrant society, Lee likes to point out. And attracting the best and brightest is still the only way to keep its economy competitive. Lee's critics may find him domineering, but few have offered clear alternatives to his policy."

**** Singapore Population Reaches 5.26 Million ****
<http://blog.dk.sg/2012/07/27/singapore-population-reaches-5-26-million/>
DKSG

> I don’t know about you. But I strongly feel that we are growing our population too fast. Our infrastructure is not ready for this sudden influx of new residents. Take a look at our transport system. It’s always crowded. And don’t get me started on the social problem.

**** People, Oh People… ****
<http://berthahenson.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/people-oh-people/>
Bertha Harian

**** NPTD: Our Population, Our Future ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.sg/2012/07/nptd-our-population-our-future.html>
Blogging For Myself

> I think all existing measures are only good for buying us time for a more durable and sustainable solution to future growth. We have no choice but figure a way (we have time) to shift towards creating wealth that use more knowledge, insight and creativity than adding hard inputs like manpower, energy and especially land. On this we we have find our own solutions than copy/adapt from elsewhere because most competing cities can grow into surrounding land.

We shouldn't be lazy and take the easy way out.

**** Singapore Says Growth May Fall Below 1%; MAS Boosts Reserves ****
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-25/singapore-says-growth-may-fall-below-1-as-mas-boosts-reserves.html>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

> The island’s current gross domestic product growth forecast of 1 percent to 3 percent is based on assumptions that there is no recession in the U.S., no significant escalation of the euro zone crisis and no hard landing in China, Monetary Authority of Singapore Managing Director Ravi Menon said today.

> “If one or more of these assumptions do not pan out, Singapore’s GDP growth could dip below 1 percent this year,” Menon said in a briefing in the city state as the central bank released its annual report. “Growth momentum is clearly slowing.”

**** Chee Soon Juan Hopes To Pay Off Damages With Sale Of Latest Book ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_826373.html>
Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

> Singapore's Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan has offered former prime ministers Lee Kuan Yew and Goh Chok Tong $30,000 to settle his bankruptcy case, using money he expects from the impending sale of his latest book, Democratically Speaking.

**** Another Gd Reason For Moving Ministers Around ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/another-gd-reason-for-moving-ministers-around/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** Singapore's Rich Grow Wealthier, Says Forbes Asia ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1215822/1/.html>
Sim Ping Khuan, Channel NewsAsia

**** High-speed Rail Talks With Singapore To Start Soon ****
<http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/20120727003304/Article/index_html>
Sharen Kaur, Business Times

> According to SPAD chairman Tan Sri Syed Hamid Albar, certain parties from Singapore have “informally” approached the commission on the high-speed rail project.

> “The high-speed rail is for Malaysia. It is an exciting project. If the government decides to go ahead with the project, the engagement will be at the top level. There are many parties interested in the project.

**** WTO Commends Singapore's Trade Policy ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1215929/1/.html>
Millet Enriquez, Channel NewsAsia

**** Ducktours Cries Foul ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120727-0000040/Ducktours-cries-foul>
Woo Sian Boon, Today

> After operating cruises along the Singapore River for the past four-and-a-half years, Singapore Ducktours will be stopping its HiPPO River Cruises in the area - not before crying foul over the Urban Redevelopment Authority's (URA) tender exercise after it did not win the bid to run water taxi services.

**** Government Policies Are The Root Cause Of New Fault Lines Between Citizens, Foreigners ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7776>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net