[MyAppleMenu] Jul 14, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 14 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Can Apple Change The Energy Industry? Greenpeace Thinks So ****
<http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57471107-501465/can-apple-change-the-energy-industry-greenpeace-thinks-so/>
Chenda Ngak, CBS News

> Greenpeace is taking another jab at Apple's environmental record. This time, the California-based company gets a ratings upgrade - but is still not off the hook. The environmental group is going after the electric power companies Apple employs, asserting that the computer giant can help change energy policy.

**** Betting On America: How Much Do Apple And Google Invest At Home? ****
<http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/are-apple-and-google-job-creators/259807/>
Jordan Weissmann, The Atlantic

> In short, Apple, Google and their tech industry competitors are bound to pump some of their enormous profits back into the economy. That leads to growth and jobs. They just don't have to pump in as much as some of their corporate peers.

**** Apple's Annoying Way Of Delivering The Future We Really Wanted ****
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/07/apples-annoying-way-of-delivering-the-future-we-really-wanted/259796/>
Brian Fung, The Atlantic

> The assimilation of thousands into a drive-less future may not be totally voluntary, but it is good. It moves the ball forward, ending demand for technology that will be dead in a few years anyway, while getting Apple's competitors to start thinking ahead, too.

**** How Low Mac Software Prices Harm Users And Developers ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/07/13/how-low-mac-software-prices-harm-users-and-developers/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

**** Watch Your Internet Usage With NetUse Monitor ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167667/watch_your_internet_usage_with_netuse_monitor.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Shelly Brisbin, Macworld

> If your home or business account comes with a bandwidth limit, NetUse Traffic Monitor makes it easy to keep track. The hardest part about using the app is getting it set up: troubleshooting SNMP could be frustrating for some users.

**** Adobe Prelude CS6 Streamlines Tapeless Video Handling ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167421/adobe_prelude_cs6_streamlines_tapeless_video_handling.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jeff Foster, Macworld

**** Apple Returns Products To EPEAT Registry ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167678/apple_returns_products_to_epeat_registry.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> In the letter, Mansfield says that company heard from “many loyal Apple customers” who expressed their disappointment over the EPEAT removal. Describing the move as “a mistake,” he said that the company has now replaced “all eligible Apple products” in the registry.

Okay, who blinked? Did Apple blink because thousands and thousands of customers are abandoning it with this one move, and did EPEAT blink, agreeing to some Apple demands in order to have Apple back?
Also:
• <a href="http://www.apple.com/environment/letter-to-customers/">A Letter From Bob Mansfield</a> (Apple)
• <a href="http://www.epeat.net/">An Open Letter from Robert Frisbee, EPEAT CEO</a> (EPEAT)

**** Hacker Exploits iOS Flaw For Free In-app Purchases ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167677/hacker_exploits_ios_flaw_for_free_in_app_purchases.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> A hack that lets iOS users trick the App Store into giving them in-app purchases for free has gone public, potentially costing app makers revenue and causing Apple a major headache.

The cat-and-mouse game continues.
Also:
• <a href="http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/07/13/how-a-flaw-in-apples-in-app-purchase-process-enabled-more-than-30000-illegal-virtual-transactions/">How a flaw in Apple’s in-app purchase process enabled more than 30,000 illegal virtual transactions</a> (Matt Brian and Matthew Panzarino, The Next Web)

**** Does An App Store's Size Matter If Content Is The Killer App? ****
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-57471636-278/does-an-app-stores-size-matter-if-content-is-the-killer-app/>
Danny Sullivan, CNET

**** Ads Up, Games Down: The Ugly, Profitable Details About Xbox Live Advertising ****
<http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/ads-up-games-down-the-ugly-profitable-truth-about-xbox-live-advertising>
Ben Kuchera, The Penny Arcade Report

**** Announcing An Audacious Proposal ****
<http://daltoncaldwell.com/an-audacious-proposal?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+splatf+%28SplatF%29>
Dalton Caldwell

**** A Perfect Storm ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303343404577516850989811554.html#articleTabs%3Darticle>
Will Friedwald, Wall Street Journal

> The rest of the number shows him to be superhuman, executing perfect steps mere mortals can only dream about, but that gasp communicates to us that he's just a regular Joe who is empowered by the force of love. That one little trick with his throat gives what is already a masterpiece an extra dimension of believability.

**** A Friend Of The Family ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/books/review/alys-always-by-harriet-lane.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jonathan Dee, New York Times

> One of the most venerable plots in British literature is that of the young person who tries to vault the class divide by infiltrating someone else’s family. Few characters have gone about it as remorselessly as Frances Thorpe, in this highly entertaining and squirm-­inducing short novel that Frances herself might reductively pitch to her boss in the books department as “Howards End” meets “All About Eve.”

**** Night Workers ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jul/13/night-workers-helen-dunmore-saturday-poem?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Helen Dunmore, The Guardian

**** Musings On Heritage Preservation In Singapore ****
<http://searchingforenlightenment.blogspot.sg/2012/07/musings-on-heritage-preservation-in.html>
Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker

**** NParks Acknowledges Bicycle Purchase Could Have Been Handled Better ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_822111.html>
Poon Hong Yuen, National Parks Board, Straits Times

> In hindsight, we could have set a longer quotation period, and considered recalling the quotation when only one vendor made a bid.

**** How To Give Residents A Bigger Say ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120714-0000026/How-to-give-residents-a-bigger-say>
Tan Weizhen, Today

> Forget NIMBYism, time for a consultation SOP when development plans affect estates.

Time for Residents' Committees (RCs) to be more representative, and have more authority. It's time to have local elections of RC members.

**** Stemming The Singapore PR Tide ****
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/7/14/focus/11652857&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

> The government move is largely welcomed by Singaporeans as a good start to resolve the country’s biggest dilemma.

> Some critics say it is a case of too little too late because the harm of having two million foreigners has already sunk in too deeply.

**** Why I Care About 377A ****
<http://yoursdp.org/publ/perspectives/2-1-0-1019>
Frederique Soh, Singaore Democratic Party

> But what irks me are parents who are shocked and disgusted when I tell them that I would not treat my boys any differently if they turned out to be gay. In fact, I will love them more to make up for the discrimination and hate that still exists.

**** What Would Lee Kuan Yew Be Like If He Were Born In 1990? ****
<http://www.visakanv.com/blog/2012/07/lky-1990/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=lky-1990>
Visakan Veerasamy

> I believe that Singapore is a deeply pragmatic nation. It’s become a part of our DNA now, and we can’t reject it. We are a fundamentally pragmatic people. Even when we dream, we dream not because we want to be wishy-washy, idealistic tree-hugging hippies. We dream because it is somehow the pragmatic thing to do.

**** Technical Recession Looms In 3Q12: DMG ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/technical-recession-looms-in-3q12-dmg>
Singapore Business Review

**** Money Changers Run Out Of Malaysian Ringgit ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1213405/1/.html>
Linette Lim, Channel NewsAsia

> Some money changers in Singapore on Friday ran out of Malaysian ringgit notes after the favourable exchange rate sparked strong interest from buyers taking the chance to stretch their dollar by picking up ringgit on the cheap.

According to the report, the exchange rate is one Singapore dollar to 2.51 Malaysia ringgit.

**** “Tax Haven” Tag By India Riles Singapore’s PM Lee ****
<http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2012/07/tax-haven-tag-by-india-riles-pm-lee.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rana+%28pressrun.net%29>
Pressrun.net

**** A Mixed Report Card For Southeast Asia ****
<http://thediplomat.com/asean-beat/2012/07/14/a-mixed-report-card-for-southeast-asia/>
Mong Palatino, The Diplomat

**** Singapore Task Force Rebuts US Report On Human Trafficking ****
<http://english.cri.cn/6966/2012/07/13/2561s711708.htm>
Xinhua

> An inter-agency task force of Singapore issued a detailed response to the latest United States report on human trafficking in Singapore on Friday, noting several "inaccuracies and misrepresentations."

> "As we progress in our anti-trafficking efforts, Singapore calls on the U.S. to improve the credibility of the State Department's annual Report by ensuring greater accuracy of facts and by making the Report's methodology more objective," it said in a statement.

Also:
• <a href="http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120713-358974.html">S'pore explains why passports of trafficking victims are held</a> (AsiaOne)

**** NParks Looking Into Fine-tuning Procurement Process ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1213429/1/.html>
Vimita Mohandas, Channel NewsAsia

> Kartini Omar-Hor, general manager (Parks) at National Parks Board, said: "We are mindful of the need to ensure value for money for all our purchases as public funds are involved.

> "In this case, we could have set a longer quotation opening period to allow more vendors to come in. We could also have recalled the quotation as only vendor participated in this exercise."

In hawker-stall bidding, if I recall correctly, stalls that receive only a single bid the first time go through a second bidding exercise.

**** Remove Flaws In COE System ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120714-0000043/Remove-flaws-in-COE-system>
Francis Kwek Lee Huat, Today

> The Open Category is a flawed concept, unfair to buyers of small cars and commercial vehicles. It should be removed and its quota returned to the other categories.

**** 给交通部长的一封信 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/jl120714_004.shtml>
邱志贤, 联合早报

> 我诚恳地邀请您到兀兰来走一趟,亲身体会一下这里巴士168和161的路线服务,特别是在巴士转换站,早上介于7点半到8点45分之间的时候,168站人龙甚长,队一排就排到巴士办公室那边,一等就要35分钟。不说您不知,这已经是常态了,乘客怨声四起,抱怨上班迟到。我曾经向办公室里的车长询问为何如此?他说因为高速公路塞车,巴士回不来,所以就不发车,得等车子回总站才能发车,这我明白。有一次更糟,等上近一小时!我气,但心平气和地向巴士车长问明缘由,答案是“车祸,塞车,车子回不来,发不了车”。这我又了解。

**** 肯尼斯解释为何 申请庭令禁我国贷款Imf ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120714_024.shtml>
蔡永伟, 联合早报