[MyAppleMenu] Jan 24, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jan 24 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** I’ma Set It Straight, This Watergate ****
<http://daringfireball.net/2012/01/ima_set_it_straight_this_watergate>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> If you see the goal of ePub as serving as an expressive, standard, cross-platform format for e-books, Apple remains fully on board with that. If you see the goal of ePub as serving as the only commercial e-book format — i.e. that all e-books should be cross-platform — I don’t see how you can argue that Apple was ever on board with that. There’s a big difference between arguing “There should be a good standard for cross-platform books” and “All books should be based on a good cross-platform standard”.

**** Apple App Store: Not So Safe? ****
<http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/293171-apple-app-store-not-so-safe>
Sara Yin, PC Magazine

> Apple's top-secret vetting process has long been seen as a key defense against the malicious apps that have been discovered in the Android Market. But what is now clear is that Apple doesn't vet apps as carefully as we think—or at least, not for obvious violations of copyright infringement.

**** Macworld | iWorld To Showcase Apple's Future ****
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/01/23/BUKH1MT93O.DTL>
Casey Newton, San Francisco Chronicle

> Macworld | iWorld, as the event is now called, offers fans of the Cupertino company a chance to see the latest software and accessories built for Apple products, as well as the range of ways they are used in creative projects. And it will place increased emphasis on devices such as the iPhone and iPad, which are growing at a much faster rate than other Apple products.

**** The Best Screencasting App For Mac OS X ****
<http://lifehacker.com/5878458/the-best-screencasting-app-for-mac-os-x>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

> Among the many tools, Screenflow is easily our top choice. It's fast, feature-rich, handles everything about the screencasting process from start to finish, and doubles as possibly the best simple video editing application on the Mac.

**** Is Lion Server Suitable For Home Use? Ars Investigates ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2012/01/is-lion-server-suitable-for-home-use-ars-investigates.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jorge Herskovic, Ars Technica

> Honestly? It feels like Apple said, “Hmmm… we have all of this Server code laying around gathering dust… I know! Let’s recompile it for Lion, slap an icon on it, and put it on the App Store! We’ll make a few bucks!” This isn’t a "product" so much as a disjointed bundle of software with several nice-looking but not very functional GUIs on top.

**** No Old Apps For You: Apple's Message To Early iPhone Users ****
<http://lowendmac.com/ed/royal/12sr/no-old-apps-for-you.html>
Simon Royal, Low End Mac

> Apple and its attitude towards people who use older hardware is beginning to annoy me. It creates hardware that will easily outlive its Windows counterparts, but kills it off by dropping software support for the older hardware.

**** 350,000 Textbooks Downloaded From Apple’s iBooks In Three Days ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20120123/350000-textbooks-downloaded-from-apples-ibooks-in-three-days/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
John Paczkowski, AllThingsD

**** Sandboxing ****
<http://furbo.org/2012/01/23/sandboxing/>
Craig Hockenberry, Furbo.org

> The recent release of xScope 3.0 is our first product to use the new application sandbox that will soon become a requirement for submission to the Mac App Store. I’d like to share some experiences and advice on how to use it in your own products.

**** Twitter Bots Create Surprising New Social Connections ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/web/39497/?ref=rss>
Mike Orcutt, Technology Review

> A group of freelance Web researchers has created more sophisticated Twitter bots, dubbed "socialbots," that can not only fool people into thinking they are real people, but also serve as virtual social connectors, speeding up the natural rate of human-to-human communication.

**** Eating By Taxi In Ho Chi Minh City ****
<http://www.gourmet.com/food/gourmetlive/2012/011812/eating-by-taxi-in-ho-chi-minh?printable=true>
Matt Gross, Gourmet

> Was this the best in the city? I wasn’t sure. I’d eaten <i>cơm sườn nướng</i>, dozens of times before, some of it quite excellent. But frankly, that didn’t matter. What mattered was that my experiment was a success, and I had a new way to eat in Saigon.

**** SCDF And CNB Officers Assisting In CPIB Investigation ****
<http://www.mha.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=MjMyMg%3D%3D-7qfLal3nuWc%3D>
Ministry Of Home Affairs, Singapore Government

> Investigations began in end December 2011 in the case of Mr Ng Boon Gay and in early January 2012 in the case of Mr Peter Lim Sin Pang. Both officers were placed on leave from their duties when the investigations commenced. Their duties have been covered by their respective deputies. Taking into account the current status of the investigations, both will be interdicted from their duties with effect from 25 January 2012, pending disciplinary proceedings.

> As investigations are ongoing, MHA is unable to comment on the details of the case. The investigations will establish the facts, and the officers will be accorded due process and a fair hearing in accordance with the civil service disciplinary process and the law.

**** More Subletting HDB Flats ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1178729/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

> The number of Housing & Development Board (HDB) flats being sublet has more than tripled in the past five years. The reasons include the relaxation of subletting rules, and an increase in foreigners.

**** Going Beyond Salaries ****
<http://searchingforenlightenment.blogspot.com/2012/01/going-beyond-salaries.html>
Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker

> Indeed, beyond depending solely on offering competitive salaries, it is perhaps also necessary that, for example, initiatives be put in place to inculcate a greater sense of public spirit in people so as to encourage more people to enter into politics, regardless of the salary level.

**** MHA To Issue Statement On SCDF, CNB Chiefs ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1178712/1/.html>
Monica Kotwani & Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

> The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said it will issue a statement on Wednesday with regard to a report by Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao, alleging that the Commissioner of the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) Peter Lim has been suspended.

**** Are Singaporeans Putting Their Hands To Freelancing? ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/professional-services/news/are-singaporeans-putting-their-hands-freelancing>
Singapore Business Review

> According to Freelancer.com, the world's largest outsourcing and crowdsourcing online marketplace, its users in the country have yet to cross the 20,000-mark, with about US$1 million paid to freelancers and spent by employers. Freelancer.com’s chief executive Matt Barrie notes that compared to its Asian neighbors such as India and the Philippines, Singapore pales in comparison with its number of freelancers.

**** 民防总监林新邦涉贪停职 肃毒局长黄文艺被召问话 ****
<http://news.omy.sg/News/Local%2BNews/Story/OMYStory201201240732-306619.html>
联合晚报

> 民防部队(Singapore Civil Defence Force, SCDF)总监林新邦(Peter Lim Sin Pang)涉贪停职一个月,中央肃毒局(Central Narcotics Bureau, CNB)局长黄文艺(Ng Boon Gay)也被传召问话!

> 黄文艺在案子中扮演的角色不得而知,但根据消息来源,整个案件的侦办方向,似乎与金钱与女色有关!

Straits Times: <a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_758770.html">SCDF commissioner suspended, CNB chief under probe</a>
Today: <a href="http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120124-0000017/SCDF-chief-suspended,-CNB-director-questioned-over-alleged-graft--Report">SCDF chief suspended, CNB director questioned over alleged graft: Report</a>

**** Stop The Harassment Of Martyn See ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/415-stop-the-harassment-of-martyn-see>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg