[MyAppleMenu] Jan 18, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jan 18 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** When New Apps And Old iOS Devices Don't Mix ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/164849/2012/01/old_ipod_touch_apps.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** iTunes Match Now Available In 19 New Countries ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/164845/2012/01/itunes_match_now_available_in_19_new_countries.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

> Continued expansion has been contingent on country-by-country deals with music copyright owners in the new markets.

iTunes (the media store) is still mostly absence in Asia.

**** Mind Your Manners: Eat With Your Hands ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/18/dining/mind-your-manners-eat-with-your-hands.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Sarah Digregorio, New York Times

> “Eating with the hands evokes great emotion,” she said. “It kindles something very warm and gentle and caressing. Using a fork is unthinkable in traditional Indian eating. It is almost like a weapon.”

**** Parliament Accepts Political Pay Proposals ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1177585/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

> Wrapping up the debate on the committee's report, deputy prime minister Teo Chee Hean said on Wednesday that there has been real progress on the issue of ministerial salaries.

> He said all members agreed on the need for Singapore to continue bringing in capable and committed people into political office, adding that they agreed that it is the spirit of service that brings the members to the House.

**** Workers' Party Calls For Ministerial Pay To Be Published Annually ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/workers--party-calls-for-ministerial-pay-to-be-published-annually.html>
Chua Yini, Yahoo!

> A list of political salaries and national bonuses paid to leaders should be published yearly and subject to public scrutiny, said the Workers' Party (WP) Member of Parliament (MP) Yaw Shin Leong on Monday.

**** Bus Hubs Currently The Priority And Good Progress Made: Josephine Teo ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120118-0000027/Bus-hubs-currently-the-priority-and-good-progress-made--Josephine-Teo>
Sumita Sreedharan, Channel NewsAsia

**** No Need To Re-Regulate Taxi Industry At This Point In Time: Lui Tuck Yew ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120118-0000030/No-need-to-re-regulate-taxi-industry-at-this-point-in-time--Lui-Tuck-Yew>
Sumita Sreedharan, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Lui felt "there is no need at this point in time to re-regulate the taxi industry". The harmonisation of fares over time "extends beyond the taxi industry", he added. "We now have more players in the industry but I think they also draw reference from the behaviour of the market leader," said Mr Lui.

Mr Lui is right in that there are other ways than regulations to "balance out" the effect of having a single company owning a dominant market share. Personally, I will like to see the barrier-of-entry for business and even individuals entering the taxi business be lowered even further.