[MyAppleMenu] Feb 26, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 26 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** JP Morgan: Apple Is A Sector Unto Itself ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/02/25/jp-morgan-apple-is-a-sector-unto-itself/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

**** Which Way To The Ball? I’ll Ask My Gown ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/business/wearable-electronics-are-making-a-statement-novelties.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Anne Eisenberg, New York Times

> Rhinestones, sequins and gold lamé can still add traditional glitter to evening wear. But if you really want to shine at your next dinner party, consider the sparkle that a jacket with light-emitting diodes or a corsage with fiber optics could provide.

**** Go Directly, Digitally To Jail? Classic Toys Learn New Clicks ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/business/barbie-monopoly-and-hot-wheels-for-ipad-generations.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Stephanie Clifford, New York Times

> Classic toys are becoming much less classic because of upgrades meant to entertain technology-obsessed children. Where they once tried, unsuccessfully, to compete with digital devices, toy makers are co-opting them.

**** Munch's The Scream... And The Appeal Of Anguished Art ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17139576>
Jon Kelly, BBC

> But while The Scream's fame is undeniable, its ubiquity and widespread popularity are, at least on the surface, more difficult to explain.

> An icon of misery and desperation makes for an unlikely decorative addition to the typical living room wall, after all.

**** The Fact-Checker Versus The Fabulist ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/magazine/the-fact-checker-versus-the-fabulist.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all>
Gideon Lewis-Kraus, New York Times

> Thus begins the alternately absorbing and infuriating exercise that is the book “The Lifespan of a Fact,” a Talmudically arranged account of the conflict between Jim Fingal, zealous checker, and John D’Agata, nonfiction fabulist, which began in 2005 and resulted in this collaboration. D’Agata’s original paragraphs appear in chunks at the center of the pages, and their exchanges on the disputed facts in question appear in the marginal running text. D’Agata starts with the casual assurance that the article doesn’t need to be fact-checked, but the process is standard at most magazines, and it remains a fundamental, if hidden, support for their credibility. And besides, the only reason the article ended up at The Believer in the first place was that Harper’s had already killed it — on the recommendation of its own fact-checker.

**** Some Vulgarities Are Well Worth A Butcher's ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/feb/26/slang-julie-coleman-robert-mccrum?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Robert McCrum, The Guardian

> What reader could not thrill to an OUP monograph whose index catalogues arf arf, bunny-boiler, fucktard, hornswoggle, reffo, skankaroo, top banana, wowser, wha'gwaan, and zhoosh? <i>The Life of Slang</i> by Julie Coleman wears academic robes, but underneath it's only too willing to get down and dirty.

**** S$1.1b Bus Expenditure To Include Addressing Operational Cost Issues ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1185374/1/.html>
Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

> "When you buy a bus, the cost is not just buying the bus. It is also about operating. If you have 800 buses, you need at least 1,600 more drivers. And probably you need more because you need to plan for medical and other kinds of friction. If you want to bring in 1,600 to 2,000 more drivers, there's going to be other costs associated with it as well. So part of this funding is also designed to address some of the operating cost implications over the next 10 years.

> "So it's not just about money to buy buses. It's also about how to address some of the operating cost issues over the next 10 years. The primary focus here is to ensure that by doing this, we're able to get a much higher quality of bus service for all Singaporeans. That is the objective of the exercise."

**** Enabling Masterplan For PWD – What Was Achieved In The Last Five Years? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/02/enabling-masterplan-for-pwd-what-was-achieved-in-the-last-five-years/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Forbes Singapore Third Richest Country: Well Done, Ministers! ****
<http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/forbes-singapore-third-richest-country-well-done-ministers/>
SpotlightOnSingapore

> Just ask yourself Do you feel really so rich that you face no anxiety over present and future monetary issues?

**** Wildlife Reserves To Get New CEO: Sources ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_770871.html>
Jennani Durai, Straits Times

> Wildlife Reserves Singapore (WRS) is understood to be getting a new chief executive, as interim head Isabella Loh heads back to the group's board, say sources.

Previously:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/09/night-safari-management-cancels-halloween-horrors-event-last-minute.html">Night Safari Management Cancels Halloween Horrors Event Last Minute</a> (mr brown): If I were the Principal, I will never let my students work on a project with the Night Safari again, as long as their current CEO is in charge.</li>
<li><a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_714453.html">Night Safari Staff Split Over Decision To Cancel Halloween Event</a> (Amanda Tan, Straits Times): Sources familiar with Wildlife Reserves Singapore (WRS), the parent company of the Night Safari, told The Straits Times that some staff were already uncomfortable with the style of new chief executive Isabella Loh, who came on board in July.</li>
<li><a href="http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110922-300916.html">Wrong Place To Release Fireflies?</a> (Alvin Lim, The New Paper): "This was pointed out to Isabella by WRS Zoology staff, but she insisted on the release." He said the fireflies "will certainly die without reproducing". […] [Also,] the source said WRS staff members had tried to dissuade Ms Loh against releasing the floating lanterns.</li>
</ul>

**** Add More Buses To Cover Trunk Routes, Say Commuters ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_770866.html>
Royston Sim, Straits Times

> Add more trunk - not feeder - routes. That, at least, is the preference of the majority of 100 bus commuters polled last week.

**** It’s Just A Little Touch – ORLY? ****
<http://kirstenhan.me/2012/02/26/its-just-a-little-touch/>
Kirsten Han, Funny Little World

> So, when the government calls for more accountability online, are we meant to be reading the term “accountability” as “more people who can be identified and potentially sued”? Is this really how we’re going to build a responsible, mature citizenry?

**** PTOs' S$1.1b Free Lunch From The Gov't ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/506-ptos-s$11b-free-lunch-from-the-govt>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> When it comes to the PTOs, there are many questions which the government should address before pumping in billions of dollars into infrastructure and helping operators with running costs at taxpayers’ expense.

**** Current Civil Defamation Laws Are In Urgent Need Of Reform ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7365>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

> There is a need to reform current laws, lest the line between truth and falsehood be drawn by the person who can wield more financial weight, rather than by the person who can argue the case or produce the facts.

**** Are TRE’s Transgressions Lawsuit Worthy? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/02/are-tres-transgressions-lawsuit-worthy/>
Ghui, The Online Citizen