[MyAppleMenu] Feb 11, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Feb 11 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** Apple Offering Stripped-Down $999 13" MacBook Air To Educational Institutions Buying In Bulk ****
<http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/10/apple-offering-stripped-down-999-13-macbook-air-to-educational-institutions-buying-in-bulk/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

> The new educational-exclusive MacBook Air is a 13" model with the same specs as the entry-level consumer 11" MacBook Air.

**** Thunderbolt: One Year Later ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/165326/2012/02/thunderbolt_one_year_later.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Mauricio Grijalva, Macworld

> It’s been almost 12 months since Thunderbolt made its debut on the 2011 MacBook Pro. In that time, just a few dozen Thunderbolt products have shipped, to the disappointment of users eager to take advantage of the fast connection.

**** Using PDF Images In iOS Apps ****
<http://mattgemmell.com/2012/02/10/using-pdf-images-in-ios-apps/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mattgemmell%2Frss2+%28Matt+Legend+Gemmell+-+RSS2%29>
Matt Gemmell

> iPhone developers are familiar with having to provide artwork at both regular and Retina (doubled) pixel dimensions for their apps. With rumours of a Retina Display-equipped iPad being just around the corner, it’s wise to consider moving to fully scaleable vector artwork for as much of your app’s images (such as toolbar icons) as possible.

**** Mac And iOS Browsers: Options Galore ****
<http://lowendmac.com/freeware/12ff/free-browsers.html>
Low End Mac

**** Ask The iTunes Guy: iTunes Match Confusion ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/165315/2012/02/ask_the_itunes_guy_itunes_match_confusion.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElheam, Macworld

**** 'Do Not Track' Tool Promises Page Loads Up To Four Times Faster ****
<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/249651/do_not_track_tool_promises_page_loads_up_to_four_times_faster.html>
Katherine Noyes, PCWorld

> A free new tool released on Thursday was built specifically to address many of the concerns raised in that study and to go well beyond what standard private browsing modes can do. It's called Do Not Track Plus, and it works seamlessly with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari; not only that, but it can increase page load speeds by up to four times, its maker says.

**** Bubbles By Peter Sloterdijk, Translated By Wieland Hoban - Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/feb/10/bubbles-peter-sloterdijk-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Brian Dillon, The Guardian

> If Sloterdijk's reflections sound obvious or fanciful, consider again the long and vexed history of enclosed but transparent volumes as images alike of freedom and security, futurism and consolation.

**** Poverty As Destiny ****
<http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/magazine/100563/katherine-boo-mumbai-undercity-india?passthru=NTRmZGM1ZmMwMDJiMGU3OGJiNTBhZmYxNDZjYjdjOTY>
Isaac Chotiner, The New Republic

> As these unspeakable incidents pile up and feed off one another, Boo, who spent significant time in Annawadi, makes no effort to assist her readers in making judgments. Characters drift in and out of the book, only gradually revealing themselves. Their actions, however vicious or shortsighted, are rendered comprehensible by the wellsprings of motivation to be found within their own words, and by the depth of Boo’s descriptions. Although she never precisely explains how people could reach a state where the death of a child is neither noteworthy nor tragic, her reporting allows for us to reach our own conclusions. Boo’s presence is skillfully invisible, so that the reader recalls her only when wondering, admiringly, how she was able to document the extraordinary story that she tells.

See also: <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/books/review/katherine-boos-behind-the-beautiful-forevers-explores-a-mumbai-slum.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss">Fighting For Scraps</a> (Pankaj Mishra, New York Times)

**** Plans For Woodlands Eldercare Centre To Proceed ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_765464.html>
Janice Tai, Straits Times

> To address their concerns about noise and traffic congestion, the ministry said the centre will be sound-proofed and air-conditioned, its opening hours would be limited, and a transport service would take old people to the centre without adding to traffic or parking woes.

**** If KL Raises Causeway Toll, Singapore Will Follow ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_765465.html>
Royston Sim, Straits Times

> If Malaysia increases toll charges for motorists using the Causeway, Singapore is likely to follow suit. This is due to a longstanding policy of matching whatever rates Malaysia sets, said the Land Transport Authority (LTA).

**** Pre-school Hot Housing And The Road To No Where..... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2012/02/pre-school-hot-housing-and-road-to-no.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> In the end what do we get in return for all this pressure and anxiety? We put our students through all this and when it comes to tertiary education, a large number of places are given to foreign students and a limit is put on the % of Singaporeans who can make it to university and polytechnics. The system does even give those entering the workforce an advantage - workers coming from places where the education system is far more relaxed are able to compete and secure jobs in Singapore. ....so what does all this anxiety, pressure and intense competition achieve...except to find people to push down and get sorted out...many are not educated to their fullest ability as seen from the large number of parents who have to send their children overseas for tertiary education, those who cannot afford it miss out and do not develop their ability to the fullest.

**** What Effect Will The Development Of Bukit Brown Have On Flooding? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120211-0000017/What-effect-will-the-development-of-Bukit-Brown-have-on-flooding?>
Chong Ja Ian, Today

> Such environmental impact studies are common to many large-scale construction and development projects around the world.

> Making such information available would help members of the public who may be affected by plans to develop Bukit Brown.

**** NUS To Raise Tuition Fees In New Academic Year ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1182264/1/.html>
Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia

> Students at the National University of Singapore can expect tuition fees to be raised by 4 per cent to $7,460 in the Academic Year 2012/2013. The fee hike works out to an annualised increase of 1.6 per cent.

> But students in Architecture, Business, Dentistry, Law, Music, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy programmes face stiffer fee hikes of 6 per cent, or an annualised increase of 1.9 to 2.3 per cent.

**** Hougang Residents Seem Unconcerned With MP Scandal ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/hougang-residents-seem-unconcerned-with-mp-scandal.html>
Jeanette Tan, Yahoo!