[MyAppleMenu] Aug 31, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 31 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Apple Said To Use AU Optronics, LG Display Screens In Mini IPad ****
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-31/apple-said-to-use-au-optronics-lg-display-screens-in-mini-ipad.html>
Tim Culpan, Bloomberg

> Apple Inc. (AAPL) will use screens from AU Optronics Corp. (2409) and LG Display Co. (034220) for a smaller version of the iPad to be released in October, according to four people familiar with the plans.

**** Pangea Releases Nanosaur 2: Battle For iOS ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/08/31/pangea-releases-nanosaur-2-battle-for-ios/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Peter Cohen, The Loop

**** Apple, Publishers Offer Antitrust Concessions: Source ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/31/net-us-apple-ebooks-eu-idUSBRE87U0FV20120831>
Foo Yun Chee, Reuters

> Apple and four major publishers have offered to allow retailers such as Amazon to sell e-books at a discount for two years in a bid to end an EU antitrust investigation and stave off possible fines, a person familiar with the matter said on Friday.

**** That Was Fast: OS X Mountain Lion Running On 1 Of Every 10 Macs ****
<http://gigaom.com/apple/that-was-fast-os-x-mountain-lion-running-on-1-of-every-10-macs/>
Erica Ogg, GigaOM

**** Apple Mac OS X Server For Mountain Lion Review ****
<http://www.reghardware.com/2012/08/30/review_apple_mountain_lion_server_os_x_10_8/>
Reg Hardware

> Mountain Lion Server turns traditional serving on its head: it is almost stupidly cheap, it has no artificial client limits, it is almost sinfully easy to implement, and it instals on any Mac capable of running Mountain Lion. If you need to provide some kind of server services then get this.

**** The Myth Of Pinch-to-zoom: How A Confused Media Gave Apple Something It Doesn't Own ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/30/3279628/apple-pinch-to-zoom-patent-myth>
Nilay Patel, The Verge

> And Apple almost certainly likes the confusion: there's no more distinctive multitouch gesture than pinch-to-zoom, and it's great for Apple if everyone thinks it's patented. Steve Jobs standing on stage doing an exaggerated pinch-to-zoom with his hands right before saying multitouch was patented wasn't some coincidence. It was a master salesman at work — and his work seems to have been extremely effective.

**** Maxthon 1.0 Browser Is Fast, Has Roots In Chrome ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168326/maxthon_1_0_browser_is_fast_has_roots_in_chrome.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

> Maxthon’s perfectly fine for anything you’d want to do on the Web, and it definitely feels at least a bit faster than any other browser. But its rough edges and clear debts to other browsers make it feel more like a hastily assembled knockoff than a bold new challenger.

**** Apple Buys Back Used iPhone 4S Models ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168359/apple_buys_back_used_iphone_4s_models.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

> Apple is now buying back used models of its iPhone 4S as part of its Reuse and Recycle Program—a possible harbinger of the unveiling of the company's next-generation iPhone.

Gets you a gift card, which you can use to buy back more Apple products.

**** Apple Rejects App That Tracks U.S. Drone Strikes ****
<http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/08/drone-app/>
Christina Bonnington And Spencer Ackerman, Wired

> It seemed like a simple enough idea for an iPhone app: Send users a pop-up notice whenever a flying robots kills someone in one of America’s many undeclared wars. But Apple keeps blocking the Drones+ program from its App Store — and therefore, from iPhones everywhere. The Cupertino company says the content is “objectionable and crude,” according to Apple’s latest rejection letter.

**** This Touch Screen Knows Your Touch ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429037/this-touch-screen-knows-your-touch/?ref=rss>
David Talbot, Technology Review

> A new device dispatches a few bits of data, representing a password, from a special ring on your finger and sends the data as tiny voltage bursts through your skin for capture by the screen of the phone, so that your touch alone identifies you by the code from the ring.

**** Promiscuous Reading ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/08/promiscuous-reading.html>
Mark O'Conell, New Yorker

> The reason I don’t finish books is not that I don’t like reading enough; it’s that I like reading <i>too</i> much. I can’t say no.

**** When Authors Disown Their Work, Should Readers Care? ****
<http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/08/when-authors-disown-their-work-should-readers-care/261615/>
Maria Konnikova, The Atlantic

> How to respond when a writers try to retract beloved poems, novels, and plays.

**** Lawyer M Ravi Seeks Court Order To Expel Law Society's Council Members ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120831-0000167/Lawyer-M-Ravi-seeks-court-order-to-expel-Law-Societys-council-members>
Ashley Chia, Today

> In a statement to the media, Mr Ravi, who has bipolar disorder, said his latest move was in response to the "spiteful, malicious and vindictive" application by the Law Society last week to submit him to a psychiatric examination by the Institute of Mental Health to determine his fitness to practice law in Singapore.

**** 'Ethical Limit' On "FaceBook"? ****
<http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.sg/2012/08/ethical-limit-on-facebook.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

**** Another Good Teacher Quits ****
<http://publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/753-another-good-teacher-quits>
Elaine Ee, Publichouse.sg

> We have developed this collective work ethic that places way too much emphasis on achievement and rankings, and does not sufficiently respect this elusive thing called ‘work-life balance’.

**** Workers Asked To Sign Off Extra Pay For Working On Off Day ****
<http://publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/752-workers-asked-to-sign-off-extra-pay-for-working-on-off-day>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> It has come to our knowledge that Yangzijiang International (S) Pte Ltd requires its workers to agree to no overtime pay when the workers work on the weekends.

**** Check Out What Pushed Singaporeans To Snub Personal Computers ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/information-technology/news/check-out-what-pushed-singaporeans-snub-personal-computers>
Singapore Business Review

> The 21.5% drop in PC shipments to Singapore is the biggest in Asia.

Apple.

**** Teachers To Get A Pay Raise From Sept 1 ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120831-0000135/Teachers-to-get-a-pay-raise-from-Sept-1>
Today

> The move, meant to attract and retain talent in the sector, will see some teachers get increases of up to S$830, depending on their job grade.

**** An Idea For The Ideal Teachers' Day Present: Space ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/views/idea-ideal-teachers-day-present-space>
Serene Goh, Straits Times

**** Camera Phones Allowed Into 14 Military Camps From Sept 1 ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120831-0000107/Camera-phones-allowed-into-14-military-camps-from-Sept-1>
Today

**** Tiny Singapore Risks Economic Gloom Without Big Baby Boom ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/30/us-singapore-babies-idUSBRE87T1FS20120830>
John O'Callaghan, Reuters

> Social and economic engineering is nothing new in Singapore, where a firm government hand helped to steer a small island with no natural resources into one of the world's most affluent countries in a little over a generation.

> But the relentless drop in the birth rate reveals the limits of that influence in what has been described as a "nanny state".

**** PM’s Speech: Not Juz A Change Of Format ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/pms-speech-not-juz-a-change-of-format/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

> So netizens, give the PM more rope to hang himself or show us that things are a’changing. The assumptions and prejudices of the PAP remain but at least he is spending our money on things that we want or need to make life more comfortable.

**** Phasing Out Of Motorcycle Parking Coupon ****
<http://gintai.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/phasing-out-of-motorcycle-parking-coupon/>
Gintai_昇泰

> But let me ask you which idiot riding a motorcycle will use 10 different coupons in 10 different carparks?

But it is never a good idea to justify for a demand to change policies based on previously 'sanctioned' loopholes.

**** Teach Less Learn More In Singapore: Reforming Examinations? ****
<http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/teach-less-learn-more-in-singapore-reforming-examinations/>
Guanyinmao's Musings

**** Wireless at SG Surfing Speed To Be Doubled, Ease Access ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/wirelesssg-surfing-speed-be-doubled-ease-access-20120831>
Irene Tham, Straits Times

> They will also be able to access the network, known as Wireless at SG, without having to sign in. This means that if they find themselves stuck with slow surfing on their 3G smartphones, they can easily switch to Wi-Fi for a faster connection.

Is the wireless network finally going to be free, or will there be ads from the telcos?
Also: <a href="http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120831_006.shtml">免费无线宽网服务将延至2017年</a>(孙伟伦,联合早报):原定明年3月终止的全国免费无线网络(Wireless at SG)将延长到2017年,而且数据传送的速度将加快至少一倍。

**** Singaporean Netizens Have Tea At Istana With PM Lee ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/singaporean-netizens-have-tea-istana-pm-lee-20120831>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

> At the Istana on Thursday, he met 19 netizens for around an hour to chat about issues ranging from education to social media.

Also:

**** Tea With The PM ****
<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2012/08/tea-with-the-pm.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
mrbrown.com

**** Pre-schools To Get Curriculum ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120831-0000074/Pre-schools-to-get-curriculum>
Sumita Sreedharan, Today

> The curriculum will include an updated framework - which will contain learning goals for children at the end of Kindergarten 2 - and a teacher's guide. It will also have teaching and learning resources to support pre-school teachers.

> Some of these resources will be made available in the first half of next year.

**** No Excuses Please, Just Clear Your Trays ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120831-0000046/No-excuses-please,-just-clear-your-trays>
Seow Joo Heng, Today

> We should do the right thing, without those unnecessary concerns, so that cleaners can elevate their job. In coffee shops, if we clear our trays after meals, the cleaners would have more time to wipe the tables clean and wash the plates thoroughly.

Maybe we should go toss our own salads too, so that the chefs can concentrate on grilling the steak. :)

**** Reform Party Candidate Apologises To SBS Transit For 'Vulgar' Email ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120831-0000043/Reform-Party-candidate-apologises-to-SBS-Transit-for-vulgar-email>
Sumita Sreedharan, Today