[MyAppleMenu] Aug 28, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 28 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Is Your iPad Keeping You Up At Night? ****
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/082712-ipad-261956.html>
Bob Brown, Network World

> Researchers have discovered that relatively little exposure to tablets and other electronics with backlit displays can keep people up at night by messing with their circadian rhythms.

**** Who Inherits Your iTunes Library? ****
<http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-08-23/finance/33336852_1_digital-content-digital-files-apple-and-amazon>
Quentin Fottrell, MarketWatch

> Part of the problem is that with digital content, one doesn’t have the same rights as with print books and CDs. Customers own a license to use the digital files—but they don’t actually own them.

**** How To Send A Video With iMessage From Your iPhone Or iPad ****
<http://www.imore.com/how-send-video-message-imessage-your-iphone-or-ipad>
Allyson Kazmucha, IMore

**** Apple Prepares To Open First Swedish Retail Stores ****
<http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/27/apple-prepares-to-open-first-swedish-retail-stores/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** The Innovation Argument ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/08/27/the-innovation-argument/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> If Samsung is forced to stop copying Apple, there is only one option left — innovate. Instead of sitting back and making their phones and tablets look exactly like the iPhone and iPad, Samsung will now have to do some work. The hardware and software will have to be different, unique and innovative.

Or Google will innovate until it's good enough, and every OEM just bundle some anti-virus and launcher apps, and compete on price. Just like the PC market.

**** Tapbots Temporarily Pulls Tweetbot Alpha ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168304/tapbots_temporarily_pulls_tweetbot_alpha.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> The company was quick to assure customers that it hasn’t cancelled plans to release Tweetbot for Mac sometime soon; rather, the company simply stopped offering access to the prerelease version of the software because it didn’t want to prematurely inflate its user count unnecessarily.

The other consequence on the preciousness of user tokens - expect to see less free Twitter clients, and probably no more demos or trials of paid clients.

**** When Using Apple Store's EasyPay Isn't So Easy ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168261/when_using_apple_stores_easypay_isnt_so_easy.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> Eighteen-year-old Eric Shine insists that he did try to pay, using the mobile Apple Store app’s EasyPay option on his phone, but that the purchase didn’t go through. A New York court will hear his case in October.

> However Shine’s case pans out, his claims provide an important reminder about EasyPay and its promise of simplified shopping: With great convenience comes great responsibility for making sure that you’ve followed every step in the process—right down to confirming that your purchase has gone through.

**** Prevent iTunes From Switching Library Locations ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168301/prevent_itunes_from_switching_library_locations.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** JPEGmini Slims Down Photos Without Changing Resolution ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168279/jpegmini_slims_down_photos_without_changing_resolution.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

**** Apple's Federighi, Riccio Join Company's Executive Team ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168306/apples_federighi_riccio_join_companys_executive_team.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> Apple on Monday announced that two of its influential executives have been promoted and are joining the company’s executive management team.

**** Active In Cloud, Amazon Reshapes Computing ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/28/technology/active-in-cloud-amazon-reshapes-computing.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Quentin Hardy, New York Times

> Within a few years, Amazon.com’s creative destruction of both traditional book publishing and retailing may be footnotes to the company’s larger and more secretive goal: giving anyone on the planet access to an almost unimaginable amount of computing power.

**** The Wounded Soldier ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/poem/2012/08/_the_wounded_soldier_by_katherine_hollander_.html>
Katherine Hollander, Slate

**** Smart Writing ****
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/smart-writing_650766.html?nopager=1>
Barton Swaim, The Weekly Standard

> Modern academics are not celebrated for the clarity and felicity of their writing. One of the most important lessons a postgraduate student can learn—and if he doesn’t learn it soon, he’s doomed—is that academics generally do not write books and articles for the purpose of expressing their ideas as clearly as possible for the benefit of people who don’t already understand and agree with them. Academics don’t write to be read; they write to be published.

**** Wait, <i>What</i> Did Neil Armstrong Say? ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/08/neil_armstrong_s_moon_landing_quote_did_he_say_one_small_step_for_a_man_.html>
Joel Shurkin, Slate

> How journalists interpreted the most important quote in history.

**** Universities Look East, Fueling Branch-Campus Boom ****
<http://world.time.com/2012/08/27/universities-look-east-fueling-branch-campus-boom/?iid=gs-main-mostpop1>
Everett Rosenfeld, Time

**** IMF Says Singapore Should Allow Temporary Rise In Inflation Rate ****
<http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-28/imf-says-singapore-should-allow-temporary-rise-in-inflation-rate>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

> Singapore should let its inflation rate rise temporarily to accommodate price gains from tighter labor markets even as those stemming from credit growth should be “forcefully tackled,” the International Monetary Fund said.

**** Working Like Dogs: 98% Of Singapore Employees Work Overtime ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/hr-education/news/working-dogs-98-singapore-employees-work-overtime>
Singapore Business Review

**** Meritocracy’s Demerits ****
<http://berthahenson.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/meritocracys-demerits/>
Bertha Harian

**** Fare Review Mechanism Committee Identifies Key Issues ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1222545/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Affordability, fare formula and service quality of public transport are the key issues that surfaced from meetings that the Fare Review Mechanism Committee (FRMC) has held with focus groups, public transport operators (PTOs), academics and experts.

**** New NTUC Co-operative Set Up To Support NTUC Social Enterprises ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1222544/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> NTUC Enterprise Co-operative will also lead NTUC SEs in group-wide efforts to increase financial resilience and develop talent, essential for sustainable, long term development of the SEs.

**** Discretion On Mandatory Sentences Can Be ‘Warped’: Ex-attorney General ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/discretion-on-mandatory-sentences-can-be-‘warped’--ex-attorney-general.html>
Fann Sim, Yahoo!

> Woon also said that there is no point arguing about whether there should be a death penalty per se because that is not something the parliament would consider.

> “They are going to consider under what circumstances do we give the judges the discretion,” Prof Woon said.

**** Home? Hope? Heart? ****
<http://singaporearmchaircritic.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/home-hope-heart/>
Singapore Armchair Critic

> National conversation or not, many Singaporeans have already aired their unhappiness in cyberspace, and some opposition parties have also put forward proposals for the challenges we face. It’s up to the government to take us into consideration. Or just dismiss us as “noise” in the “cowboy towns” of cyberspace.

**** That Dicey Question Of National Identity ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/08/that-dicey-question-of-national-identity/>
Ghui, The Online Citizen

**** A Vision For Our National Conversation ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/08/a-vision-for-our-national-conversation/>
Luke Lu, The Online Citizen

> Singapore, I believe, remains uniquely poised to develop a democratic regime (as envisioned by Habermas) precisely because of our tiny geographical expanse and small citizenry. Nonetheless, Heng Swee Keat’s committee does have a herculean task ahead.

**** Diner En Blanc Cooks Up A Fuss In Singapore ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/08/28/diner-en-blanc-cooks-up-a-fuss-in-singapore/>
Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

**** Leaving Gays Or 377A Alone ****
<http://chemgen.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/leaving-gays-or-377a-alone/>
Chemical Generation Singapore

> In 2007, the government pledged that they would leave gays alone, and leave 377A alone. The arrest of Tay Eng Hong in a Citylink public toilet in 2010 showed that the government went back on its word. No more, no less.

**** Alienation Of The Leadership ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2012/08/alienation-of-leadership.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+MySingaporeNews+(My+Singapore+News)>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> When leaders declare that wide income gap is normal and the wider the gap the more normal it is, you got a bigger problem. There is a big gap, a credibility gap. The daft followers will continue to follow blindly. They are not daft for no reason. But not many are daft, and not many will remain daft all the time.

**** Another Half Baked Solution ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/08/another-half-baked-solution.html>
Singapore Notes

> The Association of Small and Medium Enterprises (ASME) highlighted that men are already spending time from the workplace for reservist training, do we need another excuse for a foreigner to take away a Singaporean's job?

**** Is Engineering Dead? ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/views/engineering-dead>
Matthias Chew, Straits Times

> With none of the five recipients this year opting for an engineering course at university, it is now the sixth successive year that engineers will not be represented among the country's best and brightest.

Engineers create things. Economists go to Wall Street and create new financial packages. :)

**** Carrefour To Close Singapore Outlets By Year-end ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120828-0000068/Carrefour-to-close-Singapore-outlets-by-year-end>
Today

> In a press release this morning, the company said: "Carrefour Singapore announces the decision to close its Suntec and Plaza Singapura stores before end of 2012, since expansion and growth perspectives do not allow reaching a leadership position in the medium and long term."

**** All The Ideas Are There - It Is A Question Of Political Will! ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/08/all-ideas-are-there-it-is-question-of.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> PM speaks about solutions for problems that should have been solved long time ago. The little tweaks and adjustments cannot reverse the direction our society and economy is headed.

There are no new ideas out there. Just the realisation among more people that the solutions by the government have not been working.

**** I Am Grateful That I Had A Second Chance ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120828-0000022/I-am-grateful-that-I-had-a-second-chance>
Marcus Chia, Today