[MyAppleMenu] Aug 26, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 26 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Mac Apps For A Retina Display: Where To Find Them, And What To Look For ****
<http://gigaom.com/apple/mac-apps-for-a-retina-display-where-to-find-them-and-what-to-look-for/>
Geoffrey Goetz, GigaOM

**** The App Store Nightmare ****
<http://deplinenoise.wordpress.com/2012/08/25/the-app-store-nightmare/>
Andreas On Coding

> So because I have a US IP address I can no longer update my Swedish apps? I took the advice and called Apple Support. A lady informed me that because I didn’t have active AppleCare for my Macs there was nothing they could do. She offered me to by a one-time pass for $49 or a three year plan for $249. Paying $49 to help Apple debug their DRM? WTF!

**** ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2012/08/26/article01/>

**** Pass The Costs Along ****
<http://www.marco.org/2012/08/25/pass-the-costs-along>
Marco Arment

> Maybe we’ll pay this theoretical “extra $20” in patent-license fees for our smartphone up front, a surcharge less than any carrier in the U.S. will charge to “activate” it, because it’s a drop in the bucket relative to the $2,000-over-two-years contract. In that case, this discussion is moot.

> Or that extra $20 is significant, we won’t pay it, and the manufacturers will find a way to save $20 somewhere else to remain competitive and continue selling us their products that are so close to the iPhone that they run into these patents.

**** Near-total Victory For Apple Stifles Phone, Tablet Design ****
<http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/14711784-452/near-total-victory-for-apple-stifles-phone-tablet-design.html>
And Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

> If the verdict stands, then the costs of the judgment will be reflected in the cost of mobile devices. Furthermore, other manufacturers will feel the need to buy Apple’s official permission to build useful phones, passing down the possible $20-per-handset fee.

> And it’s possible that the next great phone, the one that shames the iPhone the same way that the iPhone buried the Blackberry, will never make it to market. Designing and selling an advanced smartphone just became a dangerous business.

**** Why I Buy Exclusively From The Mac App Store ****
<http://ubertechblog.tumblr.com/post/30132614674/why-i-buy-exclusively-from-the-mac-app-store>
ÃœberTech

> At least in this part of the world, buying from the Mac App Store isn’t a preference. It’s the only way. There are very few apps on my Mac that haven’t been bought from the App Store, and that isn’t going to change anytime soon.

**** Copying Works: How Samsung’s Decision To Mimic Apple Paid Off In Spades ****
<http://pandodaily.com/2012/08/25/copying-works-how-samsungs-decision-to-mimic-apple-paid-off-in-spades/>
Farhad Manjoo, PandoDaily

> Of the three paths open to tech companies in the wake of the iPhone—ignore Apple, out-innovate Apple, or copy Apple—Samsung’s decision has fared best. Yes, Samsung’s copying was amateurish and panicky, and now it will have to pay for its indiscretions. But the costs of patent infringement will fall far short of what Samsung gained by aping Apple. Over the last few years, thanks to its brilliant mimicry, Samsung became a global force in the smartphone business. This verdict will do little to roll back that success.

**** Jury In Apple V. Samsung Goofed, Damages Reduced -- Uh Oh. What's Wrong With This Picture? ****
<http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2012082510525390>
Groklaw

> There were 700 questions, remember, and one thing is plain, that the jury didn't take the time to avoid inconsistencies, one of which resulted in the jury casually throwing numbers around, like $2 million dollars for a nonfringement.

**** I Can't Make This Stuff Up ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://plus.google.com/u/0/114476892281222708332/posts/246srfbqg6G>
Enrique Gutierrez, Google+

> I'm writing this post after the <i>fourth</i> group of Starbucks patrons have made the connection that Samsung is now the same as Apple. They don't know the details, they don't really care, what they know is Apple is saying that Samsung is the same as Apple ... and with one simple Google Search, you get prices that are basically half for what seems to be the same products -- for nearly everything.

**** I Think This Is Actually A Sizable Win For Samsung ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://plus.google.com/111091089527727420853/posts>
Robert Scoble, Google+

> Why? It only cost $1 billion to become the #2 most profitable mobile company. Remember how much Microsoft paid for Skype? $8 billion. So, for 1/8th of a Skype Samsung took RIM's place and kicked HTC's behind.

**** The Fall Of Angry Birds ****
<http://www.treysmithblog.com/the-fall-of-angry-birds/>
Trey Smith App Blog

> After digging deeper in these top grossing apps, you can see they consist of nearly every free to play genre there is… Social games, click games, gambling games, turn based games, card games, etc but all of these have <i>two</i> things in common: They each have lots of in app purchases and they encourage the user to buy stuff (a call to action).

**** A Hardware Renaissance In Silicon Valley ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/technology/silicon-valleys-hardware-renaissance.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nick Bilton and John Markoff, New York Times

> In recent years, Silicon Valley seems to have forgotten about silicon. It’s been about dot-coms, Web advertising, social networking and apps for smartphones.

> But there are signs here that hardware is becoming the new software.

**** Mortality By Christopher Hitchens – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/26/mortality-christopher-hitchens-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Alexander Linklater, The Observer

> In these final essays, Hitchens examines his own disbelief that writing – indistinguishable to him from living – is about to end. "Will I really not live to see my children married? To watch the World Trade Centre rise again? To read – if not indeed to write – the obituaries of elderly villains like Henry Kissinger and Joseph Ratzinger?" It's the wry trace of self-knowledge at the end of that rhetorical triad (the pleasure he might have taken in the fall of his enemies he must now grant to them) that breaks the spell.

**** Singapore Needs To Reinvent Itself To Progress: PM Lee ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1222237/1/.html>
Oliva Siong, Channel NewsAsia

**** Govt To Help Malay Community To Progress, Develop Its Culture: PM Lee ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1222231/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

**** Halimah Yacob Urges S'poreans To Continue To Dream Big ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1222228/1/.html>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

> She said Singapore has not moved away from the principles upon which it was founded. It will continue to give opportunities to all, provided they are prepared to work hard.

> Madam Halimah stressed that Singapore's meritocratic system must provide opportunities for all, regardless of their background, to pursue their dreams.

**** National Conversation: "Putting S'poreans At Heart Of Concerns" ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1222227/1/.html>
Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

> In his portion of the National Day Rally address on Sunday, Mr Heng said this conversation will be an opportunity for Singaporeans to come together and ask where we want to go as a country, as a people.

**** S'pore Govt Will Create Opportunities, Build Resilient Communities: Lawrence Wong ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1222220/1/.html>
Claire Huang, Channel NewsAsia

**** Accidental Encounters With ISD Agents ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/08/26/accidental-encounters-with-isd-agents/>
Teo Soh Lung, The Temasek Times

> If intimidation and harassment of peaceful citizens and people are all that they are good for, I am really worried and concerned at how they manage the security of our little island.

**** PM Lee Plays Real Cool Hand For ND Rally ****
<http://singaporegirl.wordpress.com/2012/08/26/pm-lee-plays-real-cool-hand-for-nd-rally/>
Food Fuels Me To Talk...

> Shorter, sharper and smarter content and delivery are likely to hold attention better, especially when there is also variety in the orators, not a monologueby a soloist.

> As for the choice of ministers to help warm up Singaporeans before the main actor takes centre stage, I think the selection is spot on to be a crowd pleaser.

**** Law Society Acting Like Headless Chicken ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/748-law-society-acting-like-headless-chicken>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> The LSS’ own behavior these last two months or so leaves many questions unanswered and members of the public are rightly concerned about its seemingly unprofessional conduct, and what it is trying to achieve with regards to Mr Ravi.

> How does the LSS expect the public to have, in its own words, “confidence in LSS as an independent professional body which has always balanced the interests of the public and individual lawyers” when its own professionalism and integrity is being doubted – by its own woeful conduct?

**** 为何外国不要中国富人? ****
<http://news.cn.yahoo.com/ypen/20120826/1272768.html>
华声在线

> 这便是中国富人对当地经济产生真正影响力的先天不足。投资移民,带去资金,无疑是带动了当地的经济发展的。但是他们的投资只是满足最基本的条件,主要事业仍然在国内。他们对自己加入的国家经济并不关心,也不会有真正的实业投资。

**** Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Consultation? ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/views/there-such-thing-too-much-consultation>
Elgin Toh, Straits Times

> Consultation is important, but it should be done selectively - when time is not of the essence or when there is genuine information to be mined from such an exercise. There are situations in which talking too much only results in our missing the boat collectively. In such situations, if we truly understood the trade-offs, we would ask not to be co-creators.

This is stupid. For a government that prides itself on looking long-term and able to tackle problems before they arise, there really shouldn't be much of anything where "time is of essence" and consultation is not required.
A government that is not for the people is a government that is not worth having, no matter how on-time the trains are. (And, mind you, we can't get on the trains even though they are still on time nowadays.)

**** 白色晚餐道歉 “不准带本地美食”惹热议 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120826_018.shtml>
李蕙心, 联合早报

**** I Don’t Love Singapore As Much As I Used To ****