[MyAppleMenu] Aug 24, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 24 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** SketchBook Pro Relaunches With New Features ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168262/sketchbook_pro_relaunches_with_new_features.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

> A new version of SketchBook Pro, the “artistic toolkit” application for the Mac, has made its debut on the Mac App Store, offering an interface overhaul and cloud support among other features.

**** Ask The iTunes Guy: iTunes Tips 101 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168246/ask_the_itunes_guy_itunes_tips_101.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** Releasing Outside The App Store ****
<http://mattgemmell.com/2012/08/24/releasing-outside-the-app-store/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mattgemmell%2Frss2+%28Matt+Legend+Gemmell+-+RSS2%29>
Matt Gemmell

> As it turned out, there was no need for me to be scared about the stuff I needed to do to recreate all the stuff that the App Store provides. If you don’t manage to get onto the App Store (or even if you do), there’s another way you can get your apps out there, and it’s not much extra trouble.

**** South Korea Court Says Samsung, Apple Infringed Each Other's Patents ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10000872396390444812704577608242792921450-lMyQjAxMTAyMDIwMzAyODM3Wj.html>
Evan Ramstad and Min Sun Lee, Wall Street Journal

> The judges ordered Apple to pay 20 million won, or $17,650 in damages for each violated patent. Samsung was ordered to pay 25 million won, or $22,000. Both companies had sought damages of 100 million won, or about $90,000, from the other.

> The court banned sales of Apple's iPhone 4 and iPad 2, as well as Samsung's Galaxy S, Galaxy SII and Galaxy Nexus smartphones, as well as the Galaxy Tab and Galaxy 10.1 tablet computers.

**** Why The Apple Store Hires For Smiles ****
<http://www.retailcustomerexperience.com/blog/8731/Why-the-Apple-Store-hires-for-smiles>
Carmine Gallo, Retail Customer Experience

> When it comes to hiring, the Apple Store doesn't care about how much you know as much as it wants to know how much you care. The ideal Apple Store candidate knows a little about computers and a lot about people.

**** An iPhone App Startup Performance Technique ****
<http://inessential.com/2012/08/23/an_iphone_app_startup_performance_techni>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

**** Apple Remote Desktop Admin Update ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/08/23/apple-remote-desktop-admin-update/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** Hands-on: Facebook 5.0 For iOS Is As Speedy As Facebook Claims ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/08/hands-on-facebook-5-0-for-ios-is-as-speedy-as-facebook-claims/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> The 5.0 version of the app opens and operates significantly faster on the iPhone and iPad than it did in its previous iterations, which Facebook touts as evidence that it's retooling the way it thinks so that it's a "mobile first" company.

**** Review: Things 2 With Cloud Sync ****
<http://www.macstories.net/mac/review-things-2-with-cloud-sync/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Lukas Hermann, MacStories

> If you desperately need a simple and reliable to-do app solution for all of your Apple devices, and if you’re really sure you will use it (especially after you’ve tried the Mac trial), you should consider using Things 2.0 full time. I think it is well worth the price.

**** Apple Releases Mountain Lion 10.8.1 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168257/apple_releases_mountain_lion_10_8_1.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> Apple lists a variety of fixes and improvements that the update includes. Among them is a fix for Migration Assistant crash, improvements to the Mail app’s support for Microsoft Exchange, and resolution for a bug that affected connecting to SMB servers with long names.

**** Cable-Shaped Batteries With A Twist ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428968/cable-shaped-batteries-with-a-twist/?ref=rss>
Katherine Bourzac, Technology Review

> Korean battery maker LG Chem is developing "cable batteries" that could be integrated into headphones to help power your cell phone, or woven into jewelry or textiles to recharge wearable electronics.

**** Cloud Startup Aims To Make "Dumb" Cell Phones Smart ****
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/cloud-startup-aims-to-make-dumb-cell-phones-smart-through-browser/>
Sean Gallagher, Ars Technica

> An Australian startup called biNu is aiming to change that by putting mobile apps in the cloud, and giving the users of cheap, dumb cell phones access to them through a local Java client.

**** A Lady Cyclist’s Guide To Kashgar By Suzanne Joinson: Review ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/fictionreviews/9479852/A-Lady-Cyclists-Guide-to-Kashgar-by-Suzanne-Joinson-review.html>
Beth Jones, Telegraph

> What home and family mean, both psychologically and physically, across the ages and across continents, is the central theme of Suzanne Joinson’s debut novel.

**** Law Society Applies For Court Order To Have M Ravi Checked At IMH ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1221908/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> The Law Society of Singapore has applied for a court order to have M Ravi medically checked by a psychiatrist from the Institute of Mental Health to determine if he is fit to practise law in Singapore. Mr Ravi has 14 days to comply.

**** MINDEF To Review SAF Medical Support System ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1221906/1/.html>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

> It is exploring a pilot Physician Partnership Program to engage experienced civilian doctors to partner Full-Time National Servicemen serving as medical officers in the medical centres.

**** PAP Women's Wing Paper On Marriage/Parenthood ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.sg/2012/08/pap-womens-wing-paper-on.html>
Blogging For Myself

> This is a deep seated anthropological problem. We are bringing the wrong tools to reverse the TFR. Nevertheless I think we ought to adopt the PAP's Women Wing suggestions. Just don't expect it work a miracle.

**** What Keeping 377A Means ****
<http://iwillsurvivesg.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/what-keeping-377a-means/>
I Will Survive

**** ‘World’s Richest’ Tag Not So Rosy For Average Citizen In Singapore ****
<http://www.ipsnews.net/2012/08/worlds-richest-tag-not-so-rosy-for-average-citizen-in-singapore/>
Kalinga Seneviratne, IPS

> There is a widespread perception, especially among bloggers and in Internet forum discussions, that Singapore’s wealth ranking based on per capita GDP is not an accurate indication of the population’s wealth, because a lot of this income is concentrated at the top levels and most of it is derived from economic activities off-shore.

**** Government To Rein In Private Vehicle Appetite: DMG-OSK ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/government-rein-in-private-vehicle-appetite-dmg-osk>
Singapore Business Review

> COE premiums threaten to spike inflation so government will suppress vehicle demand.

**** Members Want Law Society To Explain Clash With Ravi ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/members-want-law-society-explain-clash-ravi-20120824>
Lim Yi Han, Straits Times

> They plan to file a motion on Friday for the society to hold an extraordinary general meeting (EGM) to explain what led to the recent debacle between one of its officials, Mr Wong Siew Hong, and Mr Ravi.

**** Teach Less, Learn More - Have We Achieved It? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120824-0000047/Teach-less,-learn-more---have-we-achieved-it?>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

> Engagement of students and professionalism of teachers have improved, according to the Ministry of Education (MOE). However, by all accounts, children as young as primary-school age are still subjected to a pressure cooker environment, no thanks to the high-stakes exams and parents' expectations.

**** S'pore: The Ideal Vs Reality ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120824-0000083/Spore--The-ideal-vs-reality>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

> Singaporeans perceive today's society to be kiasu, competitive and self-centred - among other adjectives - but desire for the country to be a place that cares for the elderly, and where housing is affordable and healthcare is effective.

<i>Today</i> calls it 'ideal'. I call it vision. Let's work towards it.

**** Why Tharman Will Be The Next PM ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/why-tharman-will-be-the-next-pm/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** What The Pawnshop Statistics Tell Us ****