[MyAppleMenu] Aug 15, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 15 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Mountain Lion: Task Management ****
<http://apple.it-enquirer.com/?p=1997&preview=true>
IT.Enquirer

> Using Mountain Lion’s Mail and Reminders, you can create a system that will alert you when something important happens. With MailTags 3.1.2 in the mix, you have yourself a complete task management system.

**** Why I Regret Buying An iMac ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-57492376-82/why-i-regret-buying-an-imac/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title>
David Carnoy, CNET

> The iMac is a great machine until something goes wrong. Here's why you might think twice about buying one.

**** iBookstore Is A Game Changer For Textbooks ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/08/14/ibookstore-is-a-game-changer-for-textbooks/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

**** iCloud vs. Dropbox: Which is Better for Managing Files on Multiple Devices? ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/08/14/icloud-vs-dropbox-which-is-better-for-managing-files-on-multiple-devices/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> So while iCloud is nice for syncing data from apps where you don’t save files – calendars, to-do apps, etc. – it is far less practical than Dropbox for storing documents. If you already use Dropbox, this is probably obvious, but if not, its worth trying.

**** Apple Releases (PRODUCT) RED iPhone Bumper ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/08/14/apple-releases-product-red-iphone-bumper/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> As with the rest of the bumpers, the (PRODUCT) RED bumper feature two-tone colors and metal buttons for volume and power. Plus, it protects your iPhone from scratches on the metal sides.

**** Adjust File Data And Labels With A Better Finder Attributes 5 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168128/adjust_file_data_and_labels_with_a_better_finder_attributes_5.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> You simply drag files or folders onto the application window, select the change you want to make from a popup menu and the settings for that change, and click a button. The application can perform its operations on all of the contents of a folder, including all of the sub-folders and files it contains. You can create droplets that you can use with specific settings, so you can reuse them easily.

**** Why Don’t You Electrocute Yourself When You Touch The MagSafe Plug? ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/08/14/why-dont-you-electrocute-yourself-when-you-touch-the-magsafe-plug/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

**** Stop Publishing Web Pages ****
<http://dashes.com/anil/2012/08/stop-publishing-web-pages.html>
Anil Dash

> Users have decided they want streams, but most media companies are insisting on publishing more and more pages. And the systems which publish the web are designed to keep making pages, not to make customized streams.

> It's time to stop publishing web pages.

**** Forget CDs. Teens Tune In To YouTube ****
<http://professional.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444042704577587570410556212.html>
Wall Street Journal

**** A Startup Asks: Why Can't You Resell Old Digital Songs? ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428792/a-startup-asks-why-cant-you-resell-old-digital/?ref=rss>
Jessica Leber, Technology Review

> ReDigi is applying a concept of ownership, engrained in U.S. law: that a person can re-sell the original copy of creative works they purchase.

**** Streams Of Consciousness ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/books/review/the-mansion-of-happiness-by-jill-lepore.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dani Shapiro, New York Times

> “How does life begin? What does it mean? What happens when you’re dead?” Tracing the history of ideas related to these questions, which lie at the heart of every religion and most world conflict, and animate centuries’ worth of scientific research, she casts a sympathetic gaze on humanity and its often cockamamie ideas.

**** Engineering Takes A Back Step ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/08/engineering-takes-back-step.html>
Singapore Notes

> You would think that with the fat salary that comes with the job, it would be a cinch to hire someone with the track record and qualifications in running a transportation engineering company.

**** Stop Blaming The Government And Start Controlling Your Own Destiny! ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/stop-blaming-the-government-and-start-controlling-your-own-destiny/>
The Temasek Times

**** Shanmugam And Sylvia Lim Put Up ‘Wayang Kulit’ Over Woffles Wu Case In Parliament ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/shanmugam-and-sylvia-lim-put-up-wayang-kulit-over-woffles-wu-case-in-parliament/>
The Temasek Times

**** And The Papa Cries ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2012/08/and-papa-cries.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> The citizens have accepted this cruel fate of life, quietly, and their sons making the ultimate sacrifice. Many have taken this for granted as the fate of being a Singaporean man.

**** Solving The Low Fertility Problem.... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/08/solving-low-fertility-problem.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

**** Hurray For Sylvia! ****
<http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.sg/2012/08/hurray-for-sylvia.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

> The same overused PAP trick of replying a question with a question is not working anymore. The bullying 'lawyer burok' trick of intimidation to belittle an opponent is no longer working the way the 'hatchet-man' did. It now has backfired because Singaporeans are not as 'daft" as he thought!

**** "I Was Born Here, But So What?" ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/736-students-speak-up-at-sginc-a-dialogue-about-national-identity-and-loyalty-with-minister-chan-chun-sing>
Stacy Ooi, Publichouse.sg

> What we want is for Singaporeans to feel at home and valued here, and to be more concerned with the state of this country as a result – the recent StandUpFor.SG campaign is a good example of us being passionate and engaged and wanting to improve our home. There is no written law anywhere that says we must be concerned, engaged citizens. But surely it is one of those things that adds value to life, that makes us feel part of something much bigger than we are.

**** Air Bags Are Not Mandatory For Now ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120815-0000039/Air-bags-are-not-mandatory-for-now>
Sumita Sreedharan, Today

> For the time being, however, air bags will not be a mandatory safety feature for new taxis, as Mr Lui noted the "significant technical and cost hurdles" in retrofitting taxis with air bags.

**** Science Centre Unveils $29M Revamp In 5-Year Roadmap ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/science-centre-unveils-29m-revamp-5-year-roadmap-20120815>
Walter Sim, Straits Times

> It unveiled a five-year road map on Tuesday night which includes building a digital planetarium, a virtual aquarium, a city gallery, a children science centre, and a space academy.

It is sad that we spent so much money on arts, history, parks, and gambling but neglected science. $29M is not a lot, compared to the other monies that we spent, but it's a start.

**** National Disservice ****
<http://www.lianainfilms.com/2012/08/national-disservice/>
Lianain Films