[MyAppleMenu] Aug 2, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 2 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Review: Day One ****
<http://shawnblanc.net/2012/08/day-one-review/>
Shawn Blanc

**** Bug In Mountain Lion Mail Sends Replies Using Incorrect Accounts ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/08/02/bug-in-mountain-lion-mail-sends-replies-using-incorrect-accounts/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

Check your accounts before pressing the "send" button.

**** New iPad App Projectbook Merges Note-taker With Task Manager ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167989/new_ipad_app_projectbook_merges_note_taker_with_task_manager.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

> “We take notes because we want to save information that helps us get things done,” Tamte says. And to his way of thinking, too many of the note-taking apps he’s tried on his iPad just don’t let that happen easily enough.

> Fortunately for Tamte, he runs a software company. So he can create an app that addresses his complaints.

**** Apple App Developer Marketing Costs Higher ****
<http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-01/apple-app-developer-marketing-costs-higher>
Olga Kharif, Bloomberg

> Getting noticed on Apple Inc. (AAPL) (AAPL)’s App Store has become more expensive for developers this year, while application downloads haven’t increased much, according to Fiksu Inc., a digital marketing company.

**** Why Mountain Lion Got Me To Finally Try Apple Mail ****
<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/260199/why_mountain_lion_got_me_to_finally_try_apple_mail.html>
Tony Bradley, PCWorld

> Once the dust has settled some, I’ll be able to determine if Apple Mail will work for me long term, or if the novelty of Reminders and iOS integration isn’t really worth it.

**** Turn Your Emails Into Reminders In Mountain Lion ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/08/01/turn-your-emails-into-reminders-in-mountain-lion/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Grant Brünner, Macgasm

**** Apple's Ads Preach To New Customers, Not The Choir ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167985/apples_ads_preach_to_new_customers_not_the_choir.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

> But you know what? If Apple manages to reach the people it’s targeting with these ads, all of these critiques amount to a little more than hot air.

Just make sure existing Apple customers will not be ashamed to recommend Macs to their friends. :)

**** The Rapid Rise Of OS X Mountain Lion ****
<http://lowendmac.com/musings/12mm/rise-of-mountain-lion.html>
Dan Knight, Low End Mac

**** Up Close With Mountain Lion: Power Nap ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167970/up_close_with_mountain_lion_power_nap.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> Assuming your Mac qualifies, what Power Nap means is that whenever you wake your laptop, all your updated data is there, ready for use; any software updates are ready to be installed or downloaded; and your backups have been updated, so you can pack up and be on your way. In other words, Mountain Lion took a great feature from iOS and made it better for the Mac.

If only Macs can recognise whether they are on Wi-Fi or tethered to bandwidth-limited iOS devices, just like IOS devices knowing the difference between Wi-Fi and cellular 3G or 4G.

**** Y Combinator-Backed Instacart Wants To Be Amazon With One-Hour Delivery ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/01/instacart/>
Rip Empson, TechCrunch

> While Instacart eventually wants to be Amazon.com with one-hour delivery for anything and everything, the startup is currently focusing on groceries. This means that users can tap-to-order from tens of thousands of items, ranging from produce and booze to deli food, snacks and toiletries. Inventory is sourced from local grocery stores, and Mehta has put together a fleet of trained delivery personnel, who are paid by the hour to pick up the items from local stores and deliver them directly to you — at your home or office.

**** Twitter’s Landscaping Problem ****
<http://massivegreatness.com/theres-a-storm-coming-mr-wayne>
MG Siegler, Massive Greatness

**** Will The World’s Taste For Sushi Kill The Oceans? ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/08/01/will_the_worlds_taste_for_sushi_kill_the_oceans/>
Andrew O'Hehir, Salon

> As the taste for raw fish spreads to India, China and Eastern Europe, the "sustainable sushi" movement emerges.

**** Living With Voices ****
<http://theamericanscholar.org/living-with-voices/>
T. M. Luhrmann, The American Scholar

> Hans used to be overwhelmed by the voices. He heard them for hours, yelling at him, cursing him, telling him he should be dragged off into the forest and tortured and left to die. The most difficult things to grasp about the voices people with psychotic illness hear are how loud and insistent they are, and how hard it is to function in a world where no one else can hear them. It’s not like wearing an iPod. It’s like being surrounded by a gang of bullies. You feel horrible, crazy, because the voices are real to no one else, yet also strangely special, and they wrap you like a cocoon. Hans found it impossible to concentrate on everyday things. He sat in his room and hid. But then the voices went away for good.

**** Are SIA's Disparate Brand Strategies Futile? ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/aviation/news/are-sias-disparate-brand-strategies-futile>
Singapore Business Review

**** Duck Cries Foul – Another Government Tender To Be Scrutinised? ****
<http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/07/31/duck-cries-foul-–-another-government-tender-to-be-scrutinised/>
TR Emeritus

> However, if one considers Mr Mah’s previous position as Minister of National Development, who spearheaded the Marina Bay project, one can easily see why. While there is nothing wrong with Global Yellow Pages’ new strategic direction with a new Chairman onboard, questions have to be asked on whether Mr Mah’s involvement in this tender, which was called by URA in December 2011, may have come too soon after he stepped down from the helm of MND in May 2011. As the Minister overseeing URA, does he have access to sensitive or confidential information on the Marina Bay and even the tender, which will allow him to provide Global Yellow Pages an unfair advantage over the other tenderers?

**** The Legalised Gangsters Of Singapore ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/the-legalised-gangsters-of-singapore/>
Andrew Loh

**** Sports And Arts Remain Vital: Lawrence Wong ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120802-0000121/Sports-and-arts-remain-vital--Lawrence-Wong>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

> Sports and the arts will be vital aspects of the work of the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth (MCCY) when it is set up in November, its Acting Minister-designate Lawrence Wong assured.

Personally, I don't think Sports should be that big of a deal, especially since the emphasis lately is taking part in competition and staging grand events. Sports is entertainment; we should just let private companies do sports.

**** Sorry State Of The Legal Profession At Home ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/08/sorry-state-of-the-legal-profession-at-home/>
Teo Soh Lung, The Online Citizen

**** Here Comes The Media Literacy Council To Save The Day ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/08/here-comes-the-media-literacy-council-to-save-the-day/>
Koh Jie Kai, The Online Citizen

> Is the “problem” not enough laws to solve the harm or potential harm caused by irresponsible speech?

> No. We already have plenty of laws governing Singaporeans’ behaviour online. If you spread lies about a person’s behaviour on the internet, you can sue them for defamation. We have laws against contempt of court. We also have laws which jail people for spreading racist abuse and for inciting others to violence.

Laws on 'offline' publishing concerning newspaper publishers and television and radio station owners are not applicable to 'online' bloggers and website owners. Yet.

**** Carve It In Stone ****
<http://berthahenson.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/carve-it-in-stone-3/>
Bertha Harian

**** Verdict : Singapore Constitution Isn't That Democratic ****
<http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.sg/2012/08/verdict-singapore-constitution-isnt.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

> May be we should pause a while and think whether we should continue to recite that Highfalutin National Pledge after we are awaken to the fact that the very fundamental of our Nation's existence, the Constitution, isn't exactly written with much Democratic principles in mind.

Different people interpreting the same writings differently: this is not unique to Singapore.

**** What Wasted Talent! What Utter Lack Of Vision! ****
<http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/what-wasted-talent-what-utter-lack-of-vision/>
Political Writings

> Are there real political leaders out there, from other than the PAP? People who want to actually change things, throw out the old order, bring in a new order. Not just speak out? People like Gandhi, who threw out the British and led India to independence. Or Mao, or Castro, or George Washington?

**** Keep Eye On Town Council Spending ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120802-0000049/Keep-eye-on-Town-Council-spending>
Yeow Hwee Ming, Today

> This includes LED panels at lift lobbies that do not work or, even if they do, are of little benefit to residents, as well as hacking and resurfacing of void decks, playgrounds, et cetera, as if the annual budget must be spent.

> I also see so-called art on the exterior of public housing blocks that residents may not appreciate. Maybe just a fresh coat of paint would be better.

Maybe STOMP can start a series on stupid town councils spendings?