[MyAppleMenu] Apr 25, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 25 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Apple's WWDC 2012 Will Be June 11-15, Focusing On iOS And OS X ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/04/apples-wwdc-2012-will-be-june-11-15-focusing-on-ios-and-os-x.ars>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> The conference will take place from June 11-15 in San Francisco, where developers will "learn about the future of iOS and OS X."

> According to Apple, some of the WWDC 2012 activities will include the usual technical sessions led by Apple engineers, hands-on labs where there'll be coding assistance and insight into development techniques, and (the best part) "the opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iOS and OS X developers from around the world."

**** Video Editor Camtasia Adds Green Screen Support And More ****
<http://www.cultofmac.com/162688/video-editor-camtasia-adds-green-screen-support-and-more/>
Giles Turnbull, Cult Of Mac

**** The Obsession That Drives Apple's Success ****
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/danschawbel/2012/04/24/the-obsession-that-drives-apples-success/>
Dan Schawbel, Forbes

> Ken Segall worked closely with Steve Jobs as ad agency creative director for NeXT and Apple. He was a member of the team that created Apple’s legendary Think different campaign, and he’s responsible for that little “i” that’s a part of Apple’s most popular products. Segall has also served as creative director for IBM, Intel, Dell, and BMW.

The "i" branding is, obviously, very successful for Apple, but a part of me is sad that Apple isn't selling a plain "Macintosh" anymore.

**** Former Apple Executive Blends Genres With iPad ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/24/former-apple-exec-blends-genres-with-ipad/>
Nick Wingfield, New York Times

> Jean-Marie Hullot, a computer scientist and a longtime associate of Steve Jobs at Apple and NeXT, is one of the iPad’s genre-benders. A start-up he founded called Fotopedia has started to attract a following with its own growing catalog of apps that seek to combine the elegance of photo-rich coffee table books with some of the utility of travel guides. Mr. Hullot has a passion for travel and photography that is reflected in Fotopedia’s apps, which typically focus on a single place or theme.

**** Apple: We Could Settle Patent Fights If Others Would "Invent Their Own Stuff" ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/04/apple-we-could-settle-patent-fights-if-others-would-invent-their-own-stuff.ars>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> "I've always hated litigation and I continue to hate it," Cook said, but "we just want people to invent their own stuff." Cook went on to say that the company is open to the possibility of settling with the likes of Samsung, Motorola, <i>et al</i> "if we could get to some kind of arrangement where we'd be assured [they are inventing their own products] and get a fair settlement on the stuff that's occurred," but emphasized that such a thing would only happen as long as "Apple does not become the developer for the world."

And some <i>other</i> companies will say: "I've always hated litigation and I continue to hate it. We just want people to invent their own names" instead of stealing from others. :)

**** Amazon Releases Send To Kindle App For OS X ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/04/24/amazon-releases-send-to-kindle-app-for-os-x/>
Grant Brünner, Macgasm

> This free app’s single purpose is getting your document from your Mac to your Kindle in the easiest way possible.

**** InDesign CS6 Makes Quick Work Of Designing For Multiple Platforms ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166499/indesign_cs6_makes_quick_work_of_designing_for_multiple_platforms.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jay J. Nelson, Macworld

> As an increasing number of designers now cross the divide between print and Web—and further between Web, tablet, smart phone, and a vast number of devices where designs must hold their own—Adobe has crafted InDesign CS6 to be the workhorse to carry the heavy load. InDesign takes over many tedious and time-consuming tasks, from gathering and saving content to mocking up pages for different devices, so designers can concentrate on the creative process rather than on mechanics. Here are the highlights of the new InDesign CS6.

**** Gem Update: FreeSpace 1.1 Improves Drive Monitoring And Management ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166519/gem_update_freespace_1_1_improves_drive_monitoring_and_management.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Apple Nearly Doubles Its Profits In iOS-driven Quarter ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166533/apple_nearly_doubles_its_profits_in_ipad_driven_quarter.html>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

> All told, Apple tallied record March quarter sales for its iPad, iPhone, and Mac lineups. The company also saw record results for its retail stores during what chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer called “the most amazing March quarter that Apple has ever had.”

**** Tor Books To Release Only DRM-free E-books ****
<http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/04/tor-books-to-release-only-drm-free-e-books.ars>
Cyrus Farivar, Ars Technica

**** Moore's Law Lives Another Day ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/40287/>
Tom Simonite, Technology Review

> The three-dimensional transistors of Intel's new generation of chips continue the 50-year trend of faster, more tightly packed chips.

**** Coolest Jobs In Tech (Literally): Running A South Pole Data Center ****
<http://arstechnica.com/business/coolest-jobs-in-tech/2012/04/coolest-jobs-in-tech-literally-running-a-south-pole-data-center.ars>
Sean Gallagher, Ars Technica

> Steve Barnet is hiring, but not for an ordinary IT job. His ideal candidate "will be willing to travel to Polar and high altitude sites."

**** Gay Literature’s New Wrinkle ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/04/24/gay_literatures_new_wrinkle/>
Jason Farago, Salon

> Müller is part of a small but growing number of heterosexual writers publishing novels that not only include gay characters as central parts of their narrative, but are largely about gayness itself. It’s a trend that suggests that homosexuality may no longer be the taboo it once was, for writers — and for readers.

**** Drawing A Blank: My Stationery Hell ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/apr/24/drawing-a-blank-my-stationery-hell>
Roma Tearne, The Guardian

> The first time I confronted my stationery addiction was 10 years ago, after a trip abroad. I had been away for six weeks and on my return I noticed the small shop at the top of my road had closed. Standing on the pavement, staring in dismay at the whitewashed window, I could have wept. I put both hands up against the glass and peered in.

> "They went last week," the waiter watching in the doorway of the cafe said.

> "But I've run out of notebooks," I told him, stricken.

**** Trust Local Talents To Fill Gaps Left Behind ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120425-0000168/Trust-local-talents-to-fill-gaps-left-behind>
Lim Sing Tat, Today

**** COI Focuses On SMRT Manpower ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1197352/1/.html>
Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

> Chief controller (operations) at the SMRT's Operations Control Centre (OCC) told the Committee of Inquiry looking into the disruptions that manpower at the OCC was enough to handle emergency situations on the morning of 17 December.

> He told the committee that one cannot expect them to handle efficiently in such a situation if one wants to run at minimal manpower.

**** Depoliticize Singapore For Economic Gain: Economy Suffers ****
<http://www.visakanv.com/blog/2012/04/depoliticizing-singapore/>
Visakan Veerasamy

**** Immigration Crucial To Singapore’s Growth: Govt Study ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/04/25/immigration-crucial-to-singapores-growth-govt-study/?mod=google_news_blog>
Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

> As sentiment against foreign immigrants becomes increasingly pronounced in Singapore, the government’s agency in charge of population has issued a paper saying a steady flow of immigrants is crucial to the baby-scarce city-state’s survival.

> The report comes at a time when high levels of immigration and the presence of a large number of foreign workers in the city-state is the source of sharp social discontent in Singapore. Banks and analysts have said many in the country – with a rising gap between rich and poor and enviable economic success despite the global downturn – resent that economic wealth has not filtered down to large sectors of the local population.

**** Singapore Praises U.S., EU Move To Ease Myanmar Sanctions ****
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-23/singapore-praises-u-s-eu-move-to-ease-myanmar-sanctions.html>
Andrea Tan And Daniel Ten Kate, Bloomberg

> “Sanctions ought to go,” Singapore’s foreign affairs minister K. Shanmugam said in an interview. Myanmar’s government “is keen to do what is necessary to uplift the lives of ordinary Myanmarese” and “we have to continue to encourage Myanmar diplomatically and commercially.”

**** The Ugly Truth About TFR And Foreign Influx.... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2012/04/ugly-truth-about-tfr-and-foreign-influx.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> That is not what the PAP govt did in the last 10 years - they were not maintaining the workforce but expanding it to ramp up the GDP.

**** Living In Singapore With Peanut & Tree Nut Allergies : Eating Out ****
<http://sneezywheezy.com/?p=1728>
Sneezywheezy.com

> Many local dishes contain peanuts or tree nuts in some shape or form. From satay to curry to Singaporean to Chinese to Indonesian to Thai to Indian food, they all contain them. While eating many local dishes is not an option for those with tree nut and peanut allergies – this does not mean it is impossible to eat out with those food allergies here.

**** Chart Of The Day: Singaporeans Are Living Longer ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/chart-day-singaporeans-are-living-longer>
Singapore Business Review

> Life expectancy has improved steadily over the last three decades from 72 years in 1980 to 82 years in 2010.

**** Changi Heritage At Risk Of Disappearing ****
<http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/changi-heritage-at-risk-of-disappearing-20120425-1xkck.html>
Paul Osborne, AAP

> With land at a premium in the island nation, Singaporean authorities have built over the top of many historic sites and destroyed wartime buildings.

> Historian and Changi museum operator Jeyathurai Ayadurai said he recognised that land was at a premium, but Singaporean and Australian authorities needed to look at innovative ways to preserve wartime history.

> Singapore-based Australian historian Kevin Blackburn said he agreed there had been little progress on turning the original Changi wall into a memorial and even those who did get permission to see it were made to delete any photos from their cameras by the prison officers.

**** Bookish Adventures In Singapore, Part 3: Books Actually ****
<http://content.boomerangbooks.com.au/literary-clutter-blog/singapore-part-3/2012/04>
George Ivanoff, Literary Clutter

**** No Let Up In Push For 6M Population ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/04/no-let-up-in-push-for-6m-population.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> Why must there be population growth to survive?

**** How Will SMRT, LTA Split The $900 Million Bill? ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_792416.html>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

> What is known is that $195 million has been slated for a new signalling system. This was announced in February, and will be undertaken by Thales Solutions Asia, an engineering firm headquartered in France.

**** Stop Killing Our Singapore Sons ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/04/stop-killing-singapore-sons/>
Melvin Low, The Online Citizen

> I feel that the medical board in the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) does not take the health and welfare of soldiers seriously. Sometimes, when soldiers report sick, they can even be reprimanded by the medical officer (MO). It is also common for the MO to simply prescribe painkillers without ordering further investigations such as X-RAYS or MRI scans. This is not the way that the SAF should operate.

**** Saying Goodbye To One Of Singapore's Last Historic Cemeteries ****
<http://www.theatlanticcities.com/design/2012/04/saying-goodbye-one-singapores-last-historic-cemeteries/1767/>
Mimi Kirk, The Atlantic Cities

> The June 28, 1921, edition of the <i>Malaya Tribune</i> noted that tensions were commonplace between British colonial authorities and the Chinese community over the administration of Singapore's Bukit Brown cemetery. “Bukit Brown persists in getting mention at every meeting,” one article lamented. “[It] will be a prolific source of controversy later on.” Close to a century later, the prediction rings true via a battle simmering between Singapore’s government and civil society groups over the question of whether the cemetery should be developed in this land-scarce island city-state.

**** Committee Praises 'Concrete Steps' To Fight Underage Prostitution ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/Singaporeinbrief/EDC120425-0000050/Committee-praises-concrete-steps-to-fight-underage-prostitution>
Today

> The Singapore Committee for UN Women has applauded "the concrete steps" taken by the Government to fight underage prostitution.

> In a statement yesterday, the non-profit organisation - formerly known as UNIFEM Singapore - said the recent court charges filed against 48 men for obtaining paid sex from an underage girl was "a result of the government's commitment to curb such activities and protect vulnerable young people from exploitation".

**** Facebook And The Prime Minister ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7532>
Wong Wee Nam, Sgpolitics.net

**** Plastic Men And Their Silly Ideas ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/04/plastic-men-and-their-silly-ideas.html>
Singapore Notes

> If there's a solution to do away with the plastic bags, don't count on the SEC to come up with one - except to make you pay and pay for them.

**** Sad Sad Sad State Of Traditional Media In Singapore ****
<http://socialpr.blogspot.com/2012/04/sad-sad-sad-state-of-traditional-media.html>
Aaron Koh, Small Steps For Social PR