[MyAppleMenu] Apr 18, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 18 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Extensis Launches Suitcase Fusion 4 Font Manager ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166424/extensis_launches_suitcase_fusion_4_font_manager.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> This upgrade features an updated interface designed to streamline workflows and save designers time-consuming and distracting back and forth between applications. Other new features include font panels, custom font digests, favorite fonts, preview colors, auto activation plug-ins for Adobe Creative Suite software, and increased Web font capabilities with the addition of integration with Google Fonts.

**** Portability Is Amazon's Kryptonite ****
<http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/2012/04/portability-is-amazons-kryptonite.html>
Eric Hellman, Go To Hellman

> If the vaunted Agency Model were not a sham, publishers could simply make portability a standard provision of their agency contracts: "Thou shalt enable portability". And that would be it. No collusion around pricing or discounts would be needed. Amazon could discount the living daylights out of their ebooks, but customers would still judge its competitors on their merits.

**** The Lost Steve Jobs Tapes ****
<http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/165/steve-jobs-legacy-tapes>
Brent Schlender, Fast Company

**** Apple And Samsung CEOs And Chief Lawyers Agree To Meet In San Francisco Court For Settlement Talks Moderated By Magistrate Judge ****
<http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/04/apple-and-samsung-ceos-and-chief.html>
FOSS Patents

**** Apple Slaps Back At Greenpeace For Dirty-cloud Report ****
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57415501-76/apple-slaps-back-at-greenpeace-for-dirty-cloud-report/>
Martin LaMonica, CNET

> Apple said that its data center now under construction in North Carolina will use about 20 megawatts at full capacity. Greenpeace put the estimate at 100 megawatts.

> In response, Greenpeace's lead IT industry advocate Gary Cook questioned how Apple's 500,000-square-foot data center would only consume 20 megawatts, but welcomed more transparency from Apple.

Sounds like RIM, who initially thought iPhone couldn't be done.

**** Apple Pays A Lower Tax Rate Than you ****
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/17/EDFT1O25O1.DTL>
Samuel S. Kang, Tuan Ngo, San Francisco Chronicle

> It's not fair.

**** Elliot Jay Stocks’ Tips For A Cloud-Centric Mac Set-Up ****
<http://shawnblanc.net/2012/04/stocks-cloud/>
Shawn Blanc

> My MacBook Air is now my “desktop” and my iPad is now my “laptop”.

**** Report Says Apple iCloud Isn't Green ****
<http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2012/04/report-says-apple-icloud-isnt-green--/1#.T44SY-3XdnA>
Scott Martin, USA Today

> Greenpeace has issued a report that slams the cloud computing efforts of Apple, Amazon and Microsoft for consuming too much energy that's harmful to the environment.

Think of all the plastic saved by not having thumb drive and USB cables. :)

**** Pocket Review: Read It Later Reinvents Itself ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/17/2947017/pocket-review-read-it-later-redesign>
Thomas Houston, The Verge

> Much of your choice will come down to general design and specific features. If you need pagination, you'll probably stay with Instapaper. Looking for curated content from editors or others? Readability or Instapaper might be the best choice. Otherwise, Pocket is as good a choice as anything else out there, and it comes at a very nice price.

Competition is good. I just wish that "free" doesn't mean your data will be owned by Facebook soon.

**** Technology Should Help Us Share, Not Constrain Us ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/17/sharing-ebooks-richard-stallman?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Richard Stallman, The Guardian

> Sharing is good, and with digital technology, sharing is easy. So sharing must be legal. If ebooks mean that readers' freedom must either increase or decrease, we must reject any decrease.

Apple should allow publishers and authors to sell DRM-free books.

**** Five Safari Keyboard Shortcuts That’ll Have You Abandoning Chrome In No Time ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/04/17/5-safari-keyboard-shortcuts-thatll-have-you-abandoning-chrome-in-no-time/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

**** Apple TV Finds A Home In The Meeting Room ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166417/apple_tv_finds_a_home_in_the_meeting_room.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

> When Dan Kerzner wants to show his colleagues at Microstrategy the latest numbers for the company, he calls them into a conference room that's equipped with a television and he fires up his iPad—and without further fuss the spreadsheet on his tablet is on the big screen for all to see.

**** MacJournal 6 Is An Ideal Personal Writing Organizer ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166036/macjournal_6_is_an_ideal_personal_writing_organizer.html#lsrc.rss_main>
William Porter, Macworld

> MacJournal doesn’t address every problem you may encounter when writing. But if you keep a journal, write a blog (or a couple of blogs), or just want to have a great place to jot down your thoughts without worrying about losing them, then MacJournal 6 is hard to beat.

**** How A Pilot Uses The iPad ****
<http://gigaom.com/apple/how-a-pilot-uses-the-ipad/>
Erica Ogg, GigaOM

> Most passengers probably don’t care what their pilot uses to fly the plane as long as they arrive on time and with as little turbulence as possible. But I can tell you as someone who lives with a pilot, using his iPad to prepare for flights is the best thing to happen to him in a decade of flying.

**** DragonDrop Simplifies OS X Drag & Drop ****
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/dragondrop-simplifies-os-x-drag-drop/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> DragonDrop lets you “pause” the drag & drop action by temporarily placing a file — being it an image, text document, webclip, or just about anything OS X can drag & drop (even colors) — in a floating shelf. When you’re ready to “resume”, you can pick up the file and drop it on your destination as it came from the original source.

**** FoxTrot Author Creates "Pad Packs" With iBooks Author ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/04/17/foxtrot-author-creates-pad-packs-with-ibooks-author/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

**** Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3D Review ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac-creative/reviews/?reviewid=3351562&olo=rss>
Michael Burns, Macworld UK

> It’s unforgiving of mismatched setups, can run hot and a bit noisy - and the software needs regular updates, but this is a very useful box of tricks. With a top transfer rate of 10GB/s, Thunderbolt ensures real-time video processing tasks, while the ability to handle dual 1080p HD video streams makes the Ultrastudio 3D ideal for getting into stereoscopic workflows.

**** Artboard 1.4 Is A Very Promising Vector Illustration App ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166241/artboard_1_4_is_a_very_promising_vector_illustration_app.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Chris McVeigh, Macworld

> Artboard 1.4 is a very promising creative app that is bogged down by various quirks. Advanced users might want to wait for the app’s next major release before climbing aboard, but it’s a great starting point for novices looking to try their hand at vector illustration.

**** Interview: Nate Weiner Talks Pocket Launch, Read It Later Evolution ****
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/interview-nate-weiner-talks-pocket-launch-read-it-later-evolution/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** Read It Later Rebrands To Pocket, Gets New Apps, Looks Amazing ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/04/17/pocket-iphone-ipad/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

**** Going With The Flow: Google’s Secret Switch To The Next Wave Of Networking ****
<http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/04/going-with-the-flow-google/>
Steven Levy, Wired

> ‘You have all those multiple devices on a network but you’re not really interested in the devices — you’re interested in the fabric, and the functions the network performs for you,’ Hölzle says.

**** Twitter's No-lawsuit Pledge: "We Will Not Join The Patent Wars" ****
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/twitters-no-lawsuit-pledge-we-will-not-join-the-patent-wars.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica

> Twitter today unveiled a bold new commitment that will be made in writing to its employees—the company will not use any patents derived from employee inventions in offensive lawsuits without the inventor's permission.

**** Sometimes, What’s New And Fresh Leads The Way ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/sometimes-whats-new-and-fresh-leads-the-way/2012/04/16/gIQAGwSJOT_story.html>
David Hagedorn, Washington Post

> Cooking, like any worthy trip, is about the journey: Detours, wrong turns and unexpected discoveries are what make us understand and appreciate where we wind up.

**** ‘The Storytelling Animal’ By Jonathan Gottschall ****
<http://articles.boston.com/2012-04-17/books/31350509_1_stories-fiction-daydreams>
Eric Liebetrau, Boston Globe

> Reports of the novel’s death have been greatly exaggerated.

> That’s one of the many important lessons to be gleaned from “The Storytelling Animal,” by Jonathan Gottschall, an English professor at Washington and Jefferson College. In his first book for nonacademics, the author transitions easily to a mainstream audience with this insightful yet breezily accessible exploration of the power of storytelling and its ability to shape our lives.

**** Six Degrees Of Aggregation ****
<http://www.cjr.org/cover_story/six_degrees_of_aggregation.php?page=all>
Michael Shapiro, Columbia Journalism Review

> Of the many and conflicting stories about how The Huffington Post came to be—how it boasts 68 sections, three international editions (with more to come), 1.2 billion monthly page views and 54 million comments in the past year alone, how it came to surpass the traffic of virtually all the nation’s established news organizations and amass content so voluminous that a visit to the website feels like a trip to a mall where the exits are impossible to locate—the earliest and arguably most telling begins with a lunch in March 2003 at which the idea of an online newspaper filled with celebrity bloggers and virally disseminated aggregated content did not come up.

**** Mangroves Next To The AYE! ****
<http://wildshores.blogspot.com/2012/04/mangroves-next-to-aye.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WildShoresOfSingapore+%28wild+shores+of+singapore%29>
Wild Shores Of Singapore

**** How Long More Will NTUC Short-change Singaporean Workers? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/04/how-long-more-will-ntuc-short-change-singapore-workers/>
Tan Jee Say, The Online Citizen

> Government ministers and the NTUC continue to harp on productivity growth as a driver of wage increase. They have been singing the same tune for the last 30 years or so. […] But the outcome is a dismal failure with productivity continuing to be stuck in the lows despite all the high-level government committees and high-sounding campaign slogans. Can we expect them to succeed when they have failed so pathetically all these 30 years?

**** More Workers Getting Higher Wages Under Inclusive Growth Programme ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1196056/1/.html>
Sara Grosse, Channel NewsAsia

**** 中国游客在新加坡免税消费额最高 ****
<http://finance.huanqiu.com/data/2012-04/2633214.html>
陶杰, 中国经济网

> 根据国际退税服务业者环球蓝联集团近日首次在新加坡发布的数据显示,在今年3月31日为截至日期的新加坡政府上一个财政年度里,中国游客成为当地免税消费总额最高的消费群体,总花费达到6.3亿新元(约合31.5亿元人民币),平均每位中国游客的免税消费金额为1920新元。

**** LTA Reiterates Concerns Over Recent Train Disruptions ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1196031/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> In a media statement issued on Wednesday, LTA's group director for vehicle and transit licensing, Colin Lim, said SMRT would be required to provide a full report on the incidents. This would include its plans to resolve the underlying causes.

**** Lim Chong Yah Clears Up "Fallacies" Over Wage Restructuring Proposal ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1196026/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

> He said the "Shock Therapy" between 1979 and 1981 in fact, resulted in a higher GDP growth rate for Singapore.

> He added it is also wrong to say that the 1985 - 86 recession was triggered off by the Shock Therapy of 1979 - 81. Prof Lim said his research showed that "the recession was regional, not national, Singaporean only".

**** Circle Line Breaks Down And COE Hits $92K.... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2012/04/circle-line-breaks-down-and-coe-hits.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> The main problem with the COE system it allocates a scarce resource based on a person's ability to pay rather than his needs. A middle income parent who has to ferry his children to school and take his parents to hospital can be out-bidded by a multi-millionaires's son who uses the car for dates and clubbing. The disadvantage of such a system is it causes an ever widening gap of unfulfilled demand among those with the greatest need for a car.

The problem with a need-based allocation system is that, in real life, you are not comparing between a parent who need to ferry children and grandparents, and a millionaire's son who need to go clubbing. You will have to rank and compare the needs of a salesman who is the sole breadwinner with two young children, an unmarried daughter who need to ferry her father to NKF twice-weekly, a fresh graduate founding a new business and need to travel to meet with contractors and investors and business partners (and maybe go clubbing twice a month), and a senior citizen that may be reaching retirement age but still want to keep his job as an insurance agent because he still want to service his old clients. If there are only 2 COE available, how are <i>you</i> going to pick among the four person? Who can? No one, that is.
A COE system based on needs is never going to work.
Much better is to make owning a car a luxury rather than necessity. That requires political will from the government to revamp the current public transport system to suit our needs: add redundant capacity in route planning to cater to break-downs, add more categories of public transportation (such as Hong Kong's mini-bus) so that there can be finer control in the tradeoff between speed, comfort and cost, and accelerate the building of new MRT lines and upgrading of existing MRT lines.
Eliminate the need to own a car, and you eliminate the idea of a need-based COE system.

**** More Surveillance Cameras Installed To Deter High-rise Littering ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1196024/1/.html>
Bertrand Teo, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore, Asia’s Most Livable City ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2012/04/18/singapore-asias-most-livable-city/?mod=google_news_blog>
Te-Ping Chen, Wall Street Journal

> It seems like Singapore’s billion-dollar green investments have paid off.

> A new study says that the city-state is Asia’s most livable city, beating regional rivals like Hong Kong, which now has one of the worst levels of air pollution in the world.

**** ICA To Take Over Some Investigative Functions From The Police ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_singapore/view/1196000/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore Metro Breaks Down For Third Day In A Row ****
<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hH9W2INNd_bjeoirXz6NksrDEsBw?docId=CNG.a8c1c3e2edf92a30cc1b3c9bd5ed11c1.4b1>
AFP

> Disruptions paralysed a new multi-billion-dollar line on Singapore's metro on Wednesday, the third straight day of rush-hour delays on the city-state's gleaming train system.

> The problems as commuters rushed to work lasted two hours and affected eight stations on the new 36-kilometre (22-mile) section of the metro, including stops that opened only six months ago.

> The metro was once regarded as one of Asia's best but its image has suffered because of breakdowns blamed by Singaporeans on mismanagement and overcrowding due to a spike in the intake of foreign workers and immigrants in recent years.

**** Fleet-wide Train Checks Were Not Done After First Disruption: COI Hearings ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1195972/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> SMRT's counsel Cavinder Bull said there were plans for fleet-wide checks to be conducted after the first major disruption, but SMRT was unable to execute the plans.

**** When Will You See The Light, PAP? ****
<http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/when-will-you-see-the-light-pap/>
Political Writings

**** Circle Line Disruption Caused By Power Supply Failure ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1195969/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> The service disruption on the Circle Line, which began at 7.40am on Wednesday, was a result of a failure in the power supply to the Communications Network at Botanic Gardens Station, said SMRT.

> SMRT said its engineers, together with LTA, will continue to investigate the cause of the problem to prevent a recurrence.

**** Productivity And Wages Go Hand In Hand: Lim Swee Say ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1195964/1/.html>
Today

> Mr Lim said driving up wages without focusing on productivity will lead to many small and medium enterprises going out of business and eventually some low-wage workers will be out of jobs.

**** Dove Desserts - Chendol At Its Best! ****
<http://thesilverchef.blogspot.com/2012/04/dove-desserts-chendol-at-its-best.html>
The Silver Chef

**** Joint Civil Society Statement Regarding National Plan Of Action Against Trafficking In Persons ****
<http://www.aware.org.sg/2012/04/joint-civil-society-statement-in-response-to-the-national-plan-of-action-against-trafficking-in-persons/>
Humanitarian Organization For Migration Economics, The Trafficking Research Project, AWARE, EMANCIPASIA, Good Shepherd Sisters, Jacqueline Tan, MARUAH, ONE (SINGAPORE), Project X, Singapore Committee For UN Women, Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations, Transient Workers Count Too, Vincent Law

> We urge the Taskforce to fast‐track the enactment into Singapore law of the definition of trafficking set out in Article 3 of the Palermo Protocol, given the importance of having an agreed starting point for all efforts to combat trafficking in Singapore. We also ask the Taskforce to identify the ways in which this definition is currently being operationalised by government agencies when dealing with cases of trafficked and potentially trafficked persons.

**** Developers To Provide More Information To Home-buyers Under New Rules ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120418-0000091/Developers-to-provide-more-information-to-home-buyers-under-new-rules>
Today

> These requirements include providing information such as a drawn-to-scale location plan and site plan of the project, unit floor plan and a breakdown of a unit's floor area by the various spaces such as bedrooms, balconies and bay windows.

**** Singapore 'Must Look At New Ways To Boost Productivity' ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_790033.html>
Melissa Tan, Straits Times

> The secretary-general of the Asian Productivity Organisation (APO), Mr Ryuichiro Yamazaki, told The Straits Times that the Republic may need to look at new ways to boost productivity in future.

> He said that to achieve sustainable economic growth, Singapore could 'adopt an inclusive approach to ensure that the fruits of productivity gains are shared'. It may also need to look at spurring productivity growth 'through efficient human capital development, especially in the key sectors such as the service sector'.

**** Track Fault Disrupts Section Of Circle Line Train Service ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1195943/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> SMRT, the operator of the Circle Line, first reported the track fault to the public at 8.07am Wednesday morning through Twitter.

> One affected commuter who called MediaCorp News said the train he was on stopped at 7.40am just after Kent Ridge Station for about 25 minutes. The train was heading to one-north station.

Also:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120418-0000079/Stretches-of-Circle-Line-down-bridging-buses-deployed">Stretches Of Circle Line Down; Bridging Buses Deployed</a> (Today): Today reporter Nicholas Yeo, who was at Marymount MRT Station at 8.30am, said that as of 9.30am the bridging buses were unable to leave the station as the driver "had not received instructions on where to go". Many commuters gave up and hailed taxis instead.</li>
<li><a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1195949/1/.html">Circle Line Train Service Resumes</a> (Channel NewsAsia): Train services on the Circle Line have resumed after being suspended by more than two hours on Wednesday morning due to a track fault.</li>
</ul>
Previous:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_786869.html"> Govt To Minimise Major MRT Disruptions: Lui Tuck Yew</a> (Straits Times, Apr 9, 2012): The Government will try to minimise major disruptions of more than 30 minutes, Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew said on Monday, even as he warned that some disruptions and defects on the heavily-used MRT were 'unavoidable'.</li>
</ul>

**** (To) Be Critical: An Insider View ****
<http://yalenusblog.com/2012/04/18/to-be-critical-an-insider-view/>
Yvonne Arivalagan, The Liberal Arts In Singapore

> I am by no means defending Singapore’s discriminatory policies, in fact I remain critical of them, and have NUS to thank for that.

**** Singapore Wage Debate Heats Up ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/04/17/singapore-wage-debate-heats-up/>
Chun Han Wong, Wall Street Journal

> Despite the public blowback against his proposals, Professor Lim has won supporters among local activists.

**** 公民绝对优先的争议性 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl120418_002.shtml>
李叶明, 联合早报

> 很多移民当初选择新加坡,看重的往往是这里有理性务实的人民、远见卓识的政府,政府敢于制定不受民众欢迎、却对国家长远有利的政策。可现在是否矫枉过正?长远来看,这会对新加坡有利吗?

**** Speakers Corner (Really ?) ****
<http://eviltwininsingapore.blogspot.com/2012/04/speakers-corner-really.html>
Eviltwin In Singapore

> After reading the extensive rules personally my advise to you is to take a stroll through the park , enjoy the nature and keep you mouth shut.

**** Transport, Housing Are Worlds Apart ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120418-0000062/Transport,-housing-are-worlds-apart>
Chua Soo Kiat, Today

> If the HDB can deliver world-class service to Singaporeans, there is no reason why the LTA cannot.

> If cost recovery is an issue, we could implement tier-pricing for citizens and non-citizens, with the Government subsidising some operations as it is already doing now.

> Let us avoid the situation where gains are seen to be privatised, that is, through dividends, while costs are socialised through government infusion of capital, falling service levels and decreased productivity due to train/bus faults.

Political will in solving transportation problems is lacking.

**** Prof Lim Chong Yah’s Proposals Are Timely And Should Be Implemented ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7510>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

> There is a need to overhaul the Singapore economy so that entrepreneurs, businesses and industries focus on delivering genuine value and quality, and where there is a wholehearted focus on innovation and productivity. We need to rapidly move up the value chain and create high margin enterprises that can afford to pay workers not just a minimum wage, but a dignified living wage.

> There is a need to put political pressure on the government to do the right thing and overhaul its approach to manpower, immigration and economic management, so that we can become a nation with 21st century values.

**** Allow Complete Stoppage On Each MRT Line Once A Year ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120418-0000032/Allow-complete-stoppage-on-each-MRT-line-once-a-year>
Seah Leong Khai, Today

**** Deaths Of Singapore’s National Servicemen: Where Do We Go From Here? ****
<http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/deaths-of-singapores-national-servicemen-where-do-we-go-from-here/>
Kwan Jin Yao, Guanyinmiao's Musings

**** To Err Is Human, But It’ll Get You Public Praise ****
<http://lohandbehold.com/2012/04/18/to-err-is-human-but-itll-get-you-public-praise/>
Mike Loh, Loh And Behold

> It is one thing to be forgiving but a light slap on the wrist for an error of this magntitude and phrases like “deserves commendation” and “commendable professionalism” and “reflective of the integrity” and “learning points” tell me something is very very warped here.

To err is human. There is a simple truth in programming -- and I'm sure this applies to a lot of other professions too -- that mistakes should be discovered as early as possible, so that the impact can be minimized. And, that mistakes <i>will</i> occur.
To compare what seems like a genuine mistake with a deliberate act of smoking in a non-smoking space is disingenuous.

**** Durian Heaven ****
<http://singaporeactually.com/2012/04/18/durian-heaven/>
Singapore Actually