[MyAppleMenu] Sep 22, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 22 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Importing Images From iPad Without iPhoto <http://www.macworld.com/article/162411/2011/09/importing_image_capture.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Move Data From An Old Mac To A New Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/162154/2011/09/move_data_from_an_old_mac_to_a_new_mac.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

There are many reasons to get a new Mac—your old one is too slow, too ungainly, or it’s incompatible with the latest version of OS X. Regardless of why you’ve walked a new Mac through your front door, when you do, you face this immediate challenge: Moving the data on your current Mac to the new computer. There are multiple means for doing this. We’ll look at one built into Mac OS X—Migration Assistant.

**** Meticulous <http://brooksreview.net/2011/09/meticulous/>
Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review

For at least the next week my largest computing screen will be thirteen inches. My goal isn’t that I will instantly be more meticulous, my goal is that I will be instantly less distracted.

**** Keeping A Mac Clean: What I Use <http://minimalmac.com/post/10489861184/keeping-a-mac-clean-what-i-use>
Patrick Rhone, Minimal Mac

**** Labeling The Back Button <http://mrgan.tumblr.com/post/10492926111/labeling-the-back-button>
Neven Mrgan’s Tumbl

The Back button should never show the text “Back”.

**** Beware Of Versions And Autosave In 10.7 <http://shapeof.com/archives/2011/09/beware_of_versions_and_autosave_in_10.7.html>
Gus Mueller, The Shape of Everything

I'm not saying autosave is bad. I personally like it (most of the time), but that's because I edit any images I care about in Acorn's native file format. But if you usually open and edit PNG or JPEG files with autosave turned on, then you're going to be in a bit a hard spot eventually.

**** All The News You Want, When You Want It <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/technology/personaltech/with-apps-create-a-custom-newsmagazine.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Mickey Meece, New York Times

**** Apple Finds A Use For Some Of Those First-generation iPads <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/09/20/apple-finds-a-use-for-some-of-those-first-generation-ipads/>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

It's part of a public service program Apple initiated last spring with the launch of the iPad 2. Owners of first-generation iPads who had no use for them were invited to donate the devices to teachers in low-income communities.

It's not clear how many units Apple collected, but in August every Teach for America corps member -- more than 9,000 in 38 states -- was offered a free iPad 1.

**** Why iPhone Speakers Are Ditching AirPlay For Bluetooth <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20107437-1/why-iphone-speakers-are-ditching-airplay-for-bluetooth/?tag=mncol>
Matthew Moskovciak, CNET

We've heard rumblings that AirPlay licensing and technology can add as much as $100 to the price of an iPhone speaker. While we can't confirm that exact cost increase, there's no denying that iPhone speakers with AirPlay are just too expensive.

AirPlay needs to use an existing Wi-Fi network, so that excludes many locations outside your home--think tailgate parties, parks, and possibly even your own backyard. Since Bluetooth creates its own ad hoc network, you can use it anywhere as long as you stay close.

**** Hong Kong Apple Store Opens To Press, Tim Cook To Attend Opening? <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/22/hong-kong-apple-store-opens-to-press-tim-cook-to-attend-opening/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

**** Photo Effects Studio Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=3303647&olo=rss>
Alexandra Chang, Macworld UK

**** Adobe Patches Flash Bug Hackers Are Already Exploiting <http://www.macworld.com/article/162430/2011/09/adobe_patches_flash_bug_hackers_are_already_exploiting.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

Adobe on Wednesday patched six vulnerabilities in Flash Player, including one it admitted is already being exploited by attackers.

**** Premiere Elements 10 Sports Powerful Features With A Beginner Interface <http://www.macworld.com/article/162408/2011/09/premiere_elements_10_sports_powerful_features_with_a_beginner_interface.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Peter Kim, Macworld

But if what you really want is a powerful editor that gives you room to grow— without paying too high a cost in either dollars or complexity—Premiere Elements really shows its colors. Yes, Adobe seems to hope this is something you’ll use to make more interesting video slideshows of your Facebook friends. But what they’ve come up with is a powerful editor with extensive color controls and native AVCHD editing, with quick ways of getting videos online or in HD on disc. That starts to make Premiere Elements a competitor for Apple’s pricier Final Cut Pro X, with—for better and for worse—a more conventional interface.

**** Photoshop Elements 10 Boosts Power And Creative Spark <http://www.macworld.com/article/162400/2011/09/photoshop_elements_10_boosts_power_and_creative_spark.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lesa Snider, Macworld

**** James Schuyler In The Spotlight <http://www.poetryfoundation.org/article/238132>
Eric Ziegenhagen, Poetry Foundation

A New York School poet with a flair for the dramatic.

**** Irene Ng <http://unbiasedelectorate.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/irene-ng/>
unbiasedelectorate

**** MediaCorp, RecordTV Resolve Copyright Dispute <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110922-0000387/MediaCorp,-RecordTV-resolve-copyright-dispute>
Today

According to the statement, both sides have entered into a confidential agreement with each other in relation to the copyright dispute and as such, will cease all claims and actions against each other.

**** Headline On Camera Phone Policy Is Misleading: Mindef <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_715310.html>
Desmond Tan, Ministry Of Defence, Straits Times

There is no change to the current security policy on disallowing personal image-capturing devices in SAF camps. The ongoing trial is to explore ways to allow smartphones with cameras removed to be brought into Mindef/SAF premises.

**** Bored Worker Changed Music Of Art Installation <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_715206.html>
Cleo Thang, Straits Times

After interacting with the installation for a while, I chatted with the worker and asked if she was bored sitting in the gallery all day. She replied that she was, and to my horror, said she had changed the music of the installation as she found the original classical music too boring.

**** Singapore's Best Restaurants <http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/singapores-best-restaurants>
Adam Sachs, Travel + Leisure

In Singapore, it’s never too late (or too early or too hot or busy or inconvenient or too anything at all) to search for something good to eat. And to earnestly savor it, whether it costs $3 for humble chicken rice at a hawker center like this one, or a hundred times that at one of the high-priced chef-y places of the moment.

**** Singapore: Adopt UN Rights Recommendations <http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/09/21/singapore-adopt-un-rights-recommendations>
Human Rights Watch

Singapore should accept recommendations from other states on crucial civil and political rights issues given during the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) process at the United Nations Human Rights Council, Human Rights said today. The UPR, a peer review process each country undergoes every four years to ascertain its progress on human rights, concludes its first examination of Singapore on September 22, 2011.

Despite multiple calls at the council for Singapore to repeal the Internal Security Act and other preventive detention laws, to impose a moratorium on capital punishment, and to eliminate caning as a form of punishment, the government has shown little inclination to reform, Human Rights Watch said. Instead it has refused to adopt human rights treaties or change abusive laws, often without explanation.

**** 美国装置艺术家来新表演 勿洛蓄水池周末将“水火交融” <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110922_009.shtml>
沈越, 联合早报

**** Free Market <http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=203537246378210>
Chen Show Mao, Facebook

Singapore has little to apologize for in offering up to the world a free market.

**** Risk Of Technical Recession Rises <http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/risk-technical-recession-rises>
Singapore Business Review

**** Investigations Into Circle Line Disruption To Focus On 2 Areas <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1154777/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

He has asked for investigations into the matter to be focused on two aspects - SMRT's preventive and maintenance framework and how the cause of the disruption can be more speedily identified and isolated. Mr Lui said the second aspect is crucial.

**** Shanmugam Stresses To Romania Importance Of Ionescu Case To S'poreans <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1154776/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's foreign minister K Shanmugam has stressed to his Romanian counterpart that Singapore takes the hit-and-run case of former diplomat Silviu Ionescu, currently taking place in Romania, seriously.

Mr Shanmugam also told Romanian Minister of Foreign Affairs Teodor Baconschir that the case had created a lot of interest and unhappiness in Singapore.

**** Taking The Stress Out Of School <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110922-0001096/Taking-the-stress-out-of-school>
Tan Weizhen, Today

In a move to steer schools towards an education system that is more student-centric, the Ministry of Education (MOE) will move away from a results-oriented culture, to practices that are more "holistic and balanced", said minister for education Heng Swee Keat.

To achieve a more student-centric culture, a review will be conducted to determine which practices are too achievements-driven, as well as those which generate too much administrative work, bogging down the teachers. These practices will be refined or done away with entirely, where possible.

**** S'pore Drug Problem Worse Than Reported <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110922-0001328/Spore-drug-problem-worse-than-reported>
Andre Yeo, Today

Since 2008, the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) had reported that the number of drug abusers arrested had been declining. This was wrong.

Today, at CNB's headquarters, its director Mr Ng Boon Gay, apologised and said CNB took full responsibility for the error, attributing it to the counting process.

**** StarHub Introduces Singapore's 1st Mobile Plan With Family Data Sharing <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_715504.html>
Straits Times

**** DJ Glenn Ong’s Deeply Hurtful Comments <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/dj-glenn-ongs-deeply-hurtful-comments/>
Raymond Anthony Fernando, The Online Citizen

I am perplexed that such hurtful and offensive comments against the mentally ill can be allowed to be aired on a national broadcasting station during prime time when listenership is high. These remarks Ong mentioned on air could send the wrong signal to the public – that the mentally ill are all trouble makers. This is far from true.

Mental illness is clearly a misunderstood illness in many parts of the world, Singapore included. When people don’t understand mental illness, they become biased against the sufferers. This is why promoting education on mental illness is relevant to everyone. But attitudes must change, and this is where the media plays an important role.