[MyAppleMenu] Sep 7, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 7 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** A Year With An iPad: How It's Changed Me <http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/year-ipad-how-it-has-changed-me-171115>
Galen Gruman, InfoWorld

It turns out that the iPad is both a laptop replacement and a "third device" that has its own role. It just depends on what you're doing.

**** Adobe Adding Support For iOS 5 Newsstand To Digital Publishing Suite <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/07/adobe_adding_support_for_ios_5_newsstand_to_digital_publishing_suite.html>
Josh Ong, AppleInsider

Adobe announced on Thursday that it will add support for Apple's new Newsstand application, which is built into the forthcoming iOS 5, to its Digital Publishing Suite "soon after" the iPhone maker releases the operating system update this fall.

**** Secrets Of Lion’s Spotlight Menu <http://www.macworld.com/article/162168/2011/09/secrets_of_lion_s_spotlight_menu.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Sharon Zardetto, Macworld

The handy Spotlight menu, at the far right of your menu bar, is even handier in Lion because it offers new ways to work with the list of search results. Click the magnifying glass icon or use the default Command-Spacebar shortcut to open the menu, and type in your search term. Then, use these tips to go from searching to doing.

**** iTunes U: Educating The World <http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/09/07/itunes-u-educating-the-world/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

For Lucas Swineford, Yale University’s Director of Digital Media & Dissemination, iTunes U has proven to be a successful channel in getting the school’s information out to the public. For Swineford, having the media available locally was only part of the longer term goal.

**** A Mellower Apple: One Man's Story About Publishing For The Pippin <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/09/a-mellower-apple-one-mans-story-about-publishing-for-the-pippin.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

It’s hard to imagine Apple approving a game on one of its app platforms that allows the player to pose as Jerry Garcia as he runs around a parking lot to snatch up hits of LSD, needles, and bongs, all while avoiding the police. But back in the mid-1990s, that’s exactly what Apple did—for the Pippin.

**** Car-to-Car Communication System To Get A Massive Road Test <http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/38525/?ref=rss&a=f>
Julie Halpert, Technology Review

Technology that would allow cars to talk to each other—to help prevent accidents and improve traffic flow—is about to get a real-world road test following new funding from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

**** Girl Reading By Katie Ward – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/sep/06/girl-reading-katie-ward-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Joanna Briscoe, The Guardian

The book is clever, dense, informed, ambitious and accomplished, yet it could be more gripping.

**** Clawing Back To Lobster Dominance <http://articles.boston.com/2011-09-04/business/30113138_1_lobster-industry-lobster-meat-live-lobster>
Jenifer B. McKim, Boston Globe

Maine takes on Canadians in processing catch.

**** Did The Former Minister Mentor Really Say It? <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2011/09/did-former-minister-mentor-really-say.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

It is hard to believe that the US embassy cable, leaked by whistle-blower website WikiLeaks, reporting the former Minister Mentor characterising Islam as a "venomous religion" during a 2008 meeting with visiting US senator Hilary Clinton is not authentic. The US diplomat reporting it was obviously present at the meeting and it was a first-hand report of the proceedings. Unless we believe that the US diplomat was an irresponsible officer who had an ulterior motive in misreporting the offending words used by the former Minister Mentor, there could be no dispute as to the accuracy of the report.

**** Who Reflects Reality Better, Netizens Or MSM? <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/who-reflects-reality-better-netizens-or-msm/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** Bilateral Relations With Singapore: A New Deal On Water Is Timely <http://dinmerican.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/a-new-deal-on-water-is-timely/>
Karim Masood, Din Merican

**** Arts Funding, Censorship, And Writing In Singapore <http://blog.art21.org/2011/09/06/arts-funding-censorship-and-writing-in-singapore/>
Mike HJ Chang, Art:21

I imagine, in an abstract way, when we stare at our imaginary audience, we see ourselves. And each art piece starts at this internal moment, when we ask our reflected selves, “what do you want?” But it just so happens that the two selves speak at the same time…then someone yells, “Jinx!” It is rather confusing, but kinda nice that way. I guess what it comes down to is that Singapore, like many other metropolises around the world, has influxes of young artists coming from elsewhere, and it takes a long time to figure out a common way of understanding.

**** Solving A Primary 6 Mathematics Question <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/2011/09/07/IM012647942/>
Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu

This is how I will solve the mathematical question, in a primary 6 preliminary examination, as described by this Straits Times reader [http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_710009.html]:

---

Three halls contained 9,876 chairs altogether. One-fifth of the chairs were transferred from the first hall to the second hall. Then, one-third of the chairs were transferred from the second hall to the third hall and the number of chairs in the third hall doubled. In the end, the number of chairs in the three halls became the same. How many chairs were in the second hall at first?'

---

In the end, 3 halls have the same number of chairs.

I.e., each hall has 9876 / 3 = 3292 chairs.

Half of chairs in hall 3 came from hall 2, i.e. 3292 / 2 = 1646 chairs.

Since 1646 is 1/3 of hall 2 chairs, therefore hall 2 have 1646 * 3 = 4938 chairs before moving some chairs to hall 3.

1/5 of hall 1 chairs were moved to hall 2, i.e. 3292 / 4 = 823 chairs.

Therefore hall 2 initially have 4938 - 823 = 4115 chairs.

---

I solved this within the 5 minutes time limit, without the use of equations nor calculator.

Personally, I think this is a reasonable question to ask in a primary 6 examination. Solving this question is significantly easier if you understand the question. And if you don't understand the question, drawing a model diagram will help tremendously.

**** Teach Students To Recognise American English: Lee Kuan Yew <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/teach-students-recognise-american-english-lee-kuan-yew-152429573.html>
Fann Sim, Yahoo!

As he urged Singaporeans to do better in English and to help every child attain higher standards, Lee noted that the nation, which currently uses British English, will be increasingly exposed to American English.

**** Why Opposition MPs Should Be Advisers To Grassroots Bodies <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_710177.html>
Shanta Danielle Arul, Straits Times

The role of the MP is to be a bridge between the community and the government by hearing the concerns of their constituents and representing them in Parliament. Ms Ooi seems to suggest that MPs cannot conduct their duties if they come from a party other than the PAP. If this is the case, it is the electorate who should be the judge, not the PA.

**** How PA Can Show It's Non-partisan <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_710005.html>
Soh Ah Yuen, Straits Times

Unless the PA is going to sweep all the present disquiet under the carpet, it would be worthwhile for it to review its practice of appointing grassroots advisers.

**** Truce Over Grassroots Use Of Hougang Sites <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_710305.html>
Teo Wan Gek, Straits Times

The defeated People's Action Party (PAP) candidate for Hougang has put on hold his plan for the People's Association (PA) to take over six sites currently managed by the opposition-run town council.

**** Range, Quality Of English Broadcast Content See Improvement <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1151572/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

**** Economy To Expand By 5.3% This Year: MAS Survey <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110907-0000890/Economy-to-expand-by-5,3-this-year--MAS-survey>
Today

MAS said, today, these forecasters expect the economy to grow by 5.3 per cent, this year, a downgrade from the 6.2 per cent in the previous survey.

**** An Account by a HIV Ex-Inmate <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2011/09/account-by-hiv-ex-inmate.html>
Yaw Shin Leong

He took issue why isn't medication provided for HIV inmates whereas the rest of the inmates' medications for chronic illnesses are made easily accessible and affordable. He wondered from a prison health care perspective, why HIV drugs are not subsidized?

**** Every September, a concentration camp <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/every-september-a-concentration-camp/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

**** U.S. Slides, Singapore Rises In Competitiveness Survey <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/business/global/us-slides-singapore-rises-in-competitiveness-survey.html?_r=1>
Matthew Saltmarsh, New York Times